U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:33 PM

23 posts, read 24,535 times

Advertisements

ok what are your thoughts of a retired older gay couple, men, buying a home in Bloomington or on the outskirts ?
Would we be safe and accepted ? Seems to be nice homes on lots of land cheap, why is that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 01:10 PM

5,861 posts, read 7,082,141 times
The city of Bloomington and Monroe County are very LGBT friendly and have been for several decades. I recall back in the early 80's when IU opened one of the first university offices for LGBT issues and support in the country. Those early efforts spread to the city and the general attitude is one of acceptance by many in the county. I would generally say you will be safe and be accepted. There are always those who will hate unfortunately. It's unpredictable as to whether your immediate neighbors would be accepting.

It's hard to answer your question on nice homes with lots of land as that's pretty non-specific. I live in a nice house on lots of land out in the county, but it's not cheap (at least for Indiana). I don't know your frame of reference or specific houses you're referencing.

For further information this is a starting point: https://www.visitbloomington.com/thi.../lgbtq-travel/

Googling Monroe County Indiana and LGBT will provide you with more information.

Old 10-10-2016, 02:59 PM

21 posts, read 24,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgome View Post
ok what are your thoughts of a retired older gay couple, men, buying a home in Bloomington or on the outskirts ?
Would we be safe and accepted ? Seems to be nice homes on lots of land cheap, why is that ?
Safe? Hardly-you would be in extreme danger from the roaming bands of lunatics hellbent on assaulting older retired gay couples. This is especially true of the cheap land/nice home parts of town.

You see the people of Bloomington have never really seen gay people. Especially older gay people. It would be such a shock to the senses that if you and your older retired gay partner were to move to Bloomington stores would literally close overnight. Citizens would leap to their deaths from tall buildings. Cats and dogs would stop eating and waste away- depressed beyond redemption. It would be so tragic. Bloomington would simply cease to exist.

Old 10-10-2016, 04:55 PM

291 posts, read 147,623 times
Don't forget the pink triangles you will be forced to wear when you are out in public and forced to undergo medical experiments

Old 10-11-2016, 09:31 AM

9 posts, read 4,872 times
We lived on the west side which is considered the least tolerant. Our neighbors flew a rainbow flag and they were accepted by everyone, they would walk their dog and talk to everyone they met.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:51 PM

2,562 posts, read 1,729,915 times
My impression of Bloomington is it just seems so crowded and congested to me. If one doesnt know what the population of Bloomington is, one might guess it to be a city of 250,000, instead of the city of 80 or 90,000, that it is.

I drove thru Bloomington going west on Highway 46, I think it was 46. It's the road that goes to Greensburg. But it took over an hour to get thru Bloomington. It took longer to get thru Bloomington than it took to get to Columbus. Bloomington is every bit as congested as South Indy is where 65 runs into 465.

Another thing I noticed about Bloomington, and I hesitate to say this, but it was my experience of Bloomington the last time I was there, seems like it was around 2005. It was the year we drove from Austin to Indianapolis to see Emmylou Harris at Clowes Hall at Butler. Whatever year that was, thats the year I was up there. But we stopped in at the Starbucks on Highway 46 in Bloomington, it was crowded, and nobody was actually rude, but the people there certainly weren't very friendly. Seems like alot of the people there had higher opinions of theirselves than what they really are. I can't really put my finger on it, but the vibe that permeated the air thru out that Starbucks was snobs. They were all very well neatly dressed and color co-ordinated in their high fashion designer clothes. I could tell by alot of those people's body language, the manner in which they held their coffee and the manner in which they reached their heads and necks out to talk to an acquaintance they knew but was in a different party. They certainly didn't give off the humble, unpretentious, easy going, laid back, stereotypical Hoosier vibe.

When I got to the front of the line I ordered a black coffee, no room for cream, that girl looked at me like my order irritated her. I gave her 2 Dollars and I think she gave me back something like 13 cents. I didn't care for her attitude so I pocketed the 13 cents without leaving her a tip. I just told her thank you, and turned around and got on out of there.

Bloomington has passed Muncie in population, but they are both about the same size. Since the massive deindustrialization of Muncie, it is increasingly becoming a bonified college town. Much more connected to Ball State than it ever was. Ball State is over 20,000. Pretty much everything you get in Bloomington you can get in Muncie, without the congestion, the attitude and the high price. Muncie really is a better deal Bloomington. You get more bang for your buck in Muncie. If you're looking for a college town, I wouldn't rule out Muncie.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 10-11-2016 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-03-2016, 10:11 AM

6 posts, read 2,942 times
I don't live in Bloomington, we live in Tippecanoe County. Bloomington is an oasis compared to Tippecanoe County. Nice downtown, great restaurants, a city that has made use of existing buildings and fixed them up instead of tearing down history and building a pole barn or a gaudy monstrosity. I don't know where you are comparing in terms of cheap real estate, but if you are comparing it to Ann Arbor, then, yes, Bloomington has very reasonable housing costs. The Farmer's Market is great, as are the local grocers. Nice events occur with reasonable timing and costs at IU Auditorium.

Old 11-03-2016, 12:37 PM

2,686 posts, read 6,829,504 times
Default Bloomington

I grew up an hour east of Bloomington. I went to Purdue for undergrad. I definitely prefer Bloomington for dining and going out. Lafayette feels more blue collar though West Lafayette feels comparable to Bloomington, albeit more conservative.

Bloomington is somewhat like a smaller Madison WI, though less affluent. Same could be said about Ann Arbor but I feel Madison is nicer and is trending up.

Living in Oak Park, IL, we love going to Madison for the weekend as it is 2.5 hours away. Just wish it was someplace warmer.

It would be interesting to see how I-69 extension impacts Bloomington.

I think Miami Ohio is somewhat similar to Bloomington as well but more affluent.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:58 PM

796 posts, read 2,073,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
My impression of Bloomington is it just seems so crowded and congested to me. If one doesnt know what the population of Bloomington is, one might guess it to be a city of 250,000, instead of the city of 80 or 90,000, that it is.

I drove thru Bloomington going west on Highway 46, I think it was 46. It's the road that goes to Greensburg. But it took over an hour to get thru Bloomington. It took longer to get thru Bloomington than it took to get to Columbus. Bloomington is every bit as congested as South Indy is where 65 runs into 465.

Another thing I noticed about Bloomington, and I hesitate to say this, but it was my experience of Bloomington the last time I was there, seems like it was around 2005. It was the year we drove from Austin to Indianapolis to see Emmylou Harris at Clowes Hall at Butler. Whatever year that was, thats the year I was up there. But we stopped in at the Starbucks on Highway 46 in Bloomington, it was crowded, and nobody was actually rude, but the people there certainly weren't very friendly. Seems like alot of the people there had higher opinions of theirselves than what they really are. I can't really put my finger on it, but the vibe that permeated the air thru out that Starbucks was snobs. They were all very well neatly dressed and color co-ordinated in their high fashion designer clothes. I could tell by alot of those people's body language, the manner in which they held their coffee and the manner in which they reached their heads and necks out to talk to an acquaintance they knew but was in a different party. They certainly didn't give off the humble, unpretentious, easy going, laid back, stereotypical Hoosier vibe.

When I got to the front of the line I ordered a black coffee, no room for cream, that girl looked at me like my order irritated her. I gave her 2 Dollars and I think she gave me back something like 13 cents. I didn't care for her attitude so I pocketed the 13 cents without leaving her a tip. I just told her thank you, and turned around and got on out of there.

Bloomington has passed Muncie in population, but they are both about the same size. Since the massive deindustrialization of Muncie, it is increasingly becoming a bonified college town. Much more connected to Ball State than it ever was. Ball State is over 20,000. Pretty much everything you get in Bloomington you can get in Muncie, without the congestion, the attitude and the high price. Muncie really is a better deal Bloomington. You get more bang for your buck in Muncie. If you're looking for a college town, I wouldn't rule out Muncie.

Sadly, this is the vibe in many "upper echelon" college cities/towns... Columbus (Ohio State), South Bend (Notre Dame), etc. Kids who were raised in privilege who don't know how to interact as part of a neighborhood.

I agree with you that the campus area, downtown, and McGalliard Road corridor in Muncie are looking great. It's a drastic positive change from even 3-4 years ago. The infrastructure improvements, city park, condo and hotel construction in downtown Muncie have made that area look amazing; it's very inviting and bodes well for the future. I do not have confidence in Muncie public schools (Bloomington's are far better), but for someone who is not raising kids, Muncie really can compete.

West Lafayette is also really coming along. State Street and the surrounding streets are really nice to walk, lots of food/coffee and bar options and it's very pleasant. I do think the Lafayette area feels more down-to-earth than Bloomington.

Old 11-20-2016, 09:05 PM

796 posts, read 2,073,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgome View Post
Bloomington is a solidly (maybe completely) liberal city, inside the city limits. I would be more hesitant to live outside of town. Inside the muncipal boundaries, absolutely you would be fine.

Bloomington is isolated though... if I had a goal of settling down permanently in Indiana, I would actually consider South Bend or Lake/Porter Counties which are both more connected to Chicago both by train and by expressways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana