Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" represent the beliefs, feelings, and values o
Yes, and I support it. 5 10.42%
Yes, but I do not support it. 2 4.17%
No, but I support it. 1 2.08%
No, and I do not support it. 35 72.92%
I do not know 5 10.42%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 01:17 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,229,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Towner View Post
You have a bunch of middle aged liberal morons acting like children because that's essentially what liberals are; people who never grow up.
If keeping the beliefs I learned as a child that one should not hate others and discrimination is wrong is not growing up, than you are correct. I've not grown up, and hope I never do.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:21 PM

9 posts, read 10,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiestate View Post
It's interesting that no one, that I've seen, has pointed out that this bill could be used to discriminate against a lot more people than the GLBT community. For over a century, slavery and segregation was justified based on bible passages that black people were an inferior race. People may be deeply offended by other religious beliefs, and there's a pretty good chance that an Asian customer isn't Christian. So, do they get turned away when they want a table in your restaurant?
Race, color, religion, and national origin are all protected at the federal level (civil rights act of 1964).

Old 03-29-2015, 01:36 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,860,711 times
Quote:
The bill essentially gives the right of a religious baker not to be forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple because gay marriage is against their beliefs. It's amazing what lies liberal nut jobs will come up with to push their stupid agenda. You have a bunch of middle aged liberal morons acting like children because that's essentially what liberals are; people who never grow up.
If the bill was more carefully worded it could have accomplished that; but instead it was worded so broadly it is seen as a blanket license to discriminate.

Other states, 19 I believe, do have "religious freedom" statutes that are designed to protect individuals in regards practicing their religion or not engaging in activity that violates their religious doctrines. What make's Indiana's hastily crafted bill is that is so perfidious in that it could be used by a baker to refuse to serve not only a gay couple, but a Jewish couple, a Buddhist couple, an African-American couple or anyone the baker wants to discriminate against.

LGBT people deserve the right to be treated with respect. They, for the most part, pay taxes, obey laws, raise families, open businesses, serve in the armed forces, practice medicine, teach in schools, etc. They do NOT deserve to be told "We won't serve you. We do not want your kind in this shop."

I think a baker should sell a gay or lesbian couple a cake ... but they are not required to "participate in" or "celebrate" the same sex marriage they do not approve of. A sensible thing to do is sell them the cake, but note the store policy is not to deliver it or set it up in an outside venue.

Most conservatives I know are not "nut jobs" and are not prejudiced and bigots ... however I think the supporters of this law are indeed trying to "push their stupid agenda".

Old 03-29-2015, 01:37 PM

22,634 posts, read 14,860,711 times
Quote:
It seems popular...5 likes.
10 minutes later ... it's up to 7.

Old 03-29-2015, 02:23 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,475,908 times
Quote:
The bill essentially gives the right of a religious baker not to be forced to bake a wedding cake for a gay couple because gay marriage is against their beliefs. It's amazing what lies liberal nut jobs will come up with to push their stupid agenda. You have a bunch of middle aged liberal morons acting like children because that's essentially what liberals are; people who never grow up.

This is what passes for conservative maturity?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:12 PM

335 posts, read 421,970 times
Default Apple's CEO Tim Cook blasts Indiana religious freedom law

Apple's Cook joins tech CEOs in blasting Indiana religious freedom law | Reuters

Apple Inc's Tim Cook, one of the most prominent openly gay American CEOs, has joined fellow tech industry chiefs in decrying a controversial Indiana law that opponents say could allow companies to deny services to gay people.

Cook, who publicly declared his sexual orientation last year, joined other tech chief executives, including Salesforce.com Inc's Marc Benioff, in blasting the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, which could let business and individuals turn away customers by citing "religious freedom."

Old 03-29-2015, 04:22 PM

21,988 posts, read 15,608,858 times
I don't think Indiana will be aware of all the ramifications. There will be conventions, meetings, businesses and individuals who will avoid Indiana without making any announcements.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:32 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,898,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
This is exactly what I am talking about.

It is of no consequence to me if people want to alter their travels to avoid Indiana. But what path are you going to take? Kentucky? Not so fast.....they have RFRA too. Illinois? Nope, RFRA state.

That's the thing, vitriol that is deserved no doubt, has replaced intellect. At least right now.

How about instead of blasting one state, we come together and change all the states that have these laws?
I think what you're missing is the scope of RFRA in Indiana. Yes, 19 other states have various versions of it, but they do not have the same word usage as the bill in Indiana which was most recently passed after the recent Gay Rights civil wins in over 30 states where gay marriage is now legal. Think it was just legalized in 2014 in Indiana? This law was passed with respect to the new gay marriage legality in Indiana, the rest of these states passed a version of RFRA before gay marriage became legal and are different in their word usage and what it allows than the Indiana version.

Make no mistake, this bill was passed by Pence and his cronies to allow discrimination of gays at florist shops and bakeries. Just watch the most recent interview with Mike Pence on ABC where he was asked directly SIX TIMES if this bill would prevent discrimination of gays in a florist shop, he dodged the question...EVERY time. What does that tell you?

Frankly, Indiana deserves this. I equate it to the walkout of Governor Scott Walker 2-3 years ago when their residents were up in arms over the new policies he was passing in making it a Right to Work state. The people of Indiana PUT Pence in office. Luckily they weren't dense enough to vote for Murdoch over Donnely for U.S. Senator so that tells me Hoosiers had enough sense to know they were voting for Pence, at least the ones who cared to vote.

And a lot of the people complaining now DID NOT vote, which leaves them no room to complain. Indiana deserves all the negative economic impacts it receives from this bill, Pence knew it was going to be big and companies and conventions had made threats to withdraw before he signed it. Indiana had been the shining star of the Midwest with the only state reporting higher than 2.3% GDP growth last year, I look for 2015 to be a serious decline in the growth of Indiana, thank your governor Mike Pence, maybe hoosiers will wake up next election.

Old 03-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
So should these bakers post signs in their windows, "No Gays"? Sounds awfully reminiscent of the 1950's, no?

Old 03-29-2015, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
If the bill was more carefully worded it could have accomplished that; but instead it was worded so broadly it is seen as a blanket license to discriminate.

Other states, 19 I believe, do have "religious freedom" statutes that are designed to protect individuals in regards practicing their religion or not engaging in activity that violates their religious doctrines. What make's Indiana's hastily crafted bill is that is so perfidious in that it could be used by a baker to refuse to serve not only a gay couple, but a Jewish couple, a Buddhist couple, an African-American couple or anyone the baker wants to discriminate against.

LGBT people deserve the right to be treated with respect. They, for the most part, pay taxes, obey laws, raise families, open businesses, serve in the armed forces, practice medicine, teach in schools, etc. They do NOT deserve to be told "We won't serve you. We do not want your kind in this shop."

I think a baker should sell a gay or lesbian couple a cake ... but they are not required to "participate in" or "celebrate" the same sex marriage they do not approve of. A sensible thing to do is sell them the cake, but note the store policy is not to deliver it or set it up in an outside venue.

Most conservatives I know are not "nut jobs" and are not prejudiced and bigots ... however I think the supporters of this law are indeed trying to "push their stupid agenda".
Could not agree more!

I only take issue with your last sentence. It'd take a lot of polling, but I do think a lot of conservatives are prejudiced, greater than 50% anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana