U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 05:35 PM

9,584 posts, read 20,459,831 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway you (the OP) could be transferred within the Indiana Univ. system? There is a 4 year public university in New Albany near Louisville, IU Southeast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2015, 07:47 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Is there anyway you (the OP) could be transferred within the Indiana Univ. system? There is a 4 year public university in New Albany near Louisville, IU Southeast
Ball State is not affiliated with IU. I don't think one could just transfer.

Old 04-06-2015, 04:54 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,856,102 times
That's quite a pickle you have … how long until his pension kicks in?

Traffic between Seymour and Louisville is crazy sometimes. Since you have young children, it makes things even more complicated. Are you working for BSU or are you finishing up your PhD at BSU?

Something is going to have to give for the sake of your family. The commutes between Muncie and Louisville are too much.

That being said … look at Columbus. It seems to fit your bill, but dang … the commute to Muncie will be 2-3 hours and the commute to Louisville will be close to that …

Old 04-06-2015, 10:48 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
Highway 3 is the most direct route to Louisville from Muncie. You avoid indianapolis and it's quicker thaan going thru Indy. It's about 150 miles and about a 3 hour drive and its nearly almost as the crow flies. It takes you thru or around New Castle, Rushville, Greensburg, North Vernon, Scottsburg and then Indiana suburbs of Louisville. I think North Vernon and Greensburg would be good mid point towns. Both are an easy drive to Muncie, Indianapolis, Louisville and Cincinnatti.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-06-2015 at 11:05 PM..

Old 04-06-2015, 11:25 PM

21 posts, read 26,212 times
No matter how you swing it, both of you will be doing quite a bit of driving. Either accept that now, or seek different jobs.

With that in mind, I think Greenwood would be a great option for you and your family. It has the benefits of a small town (safety, family values, decent schools) with the amenities of Indy right up the block. It's about 90 minutes from Louisville, 80 minutes from Muncie, and 20 minutes from downtown Indy.

I've spent a lot of time in Indiana, and seen many of the cities. There are tons of small, run down, depressing towns that scream rust belt. Greenwood is not one of them. It's clean, charming, and up-and-coming economically and otherwise.

With a population of about 50k and a booming housing market, there's a good range of home prices and I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs and your budget.

Old 04-06-2015, 11:41 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight_for_Freedom View Post
No matter how you swing it, both of you will be doing quite a bit of driving. Either accept that now, or seek different jobs.

With that in mind, I think Greenwood would be a great option for you and your family. It has the benefits of a small town (safety, family values, decent schools) with the amenities of Indy right up the block. It's about 90 minutes from Louisville, 80 minutes from Muncie, and 20 minutes from downtown Indy.

I've spent a lot of time in Indiana, and seen many of the cities. There are tons of small, run down, depressing towns that scream rust belt. Greenwood is not one of them. It's clean, charming, and up-and-coming economically and otherwise.

With a population of about 50k and a booming housing market, there's a good range of home prices and I'm sure you'll find one that fits your needs and your budget.
I would think making the drive around 465 in Indianapolis traffic at rush hour from Greenwood to Muncie everyday would get old real fast. Thats why I suggested HWY 3. You go thru a few small towns but if memory serves, most have by passes around them . Either way, its less stressful than driving thru or around Indianapolis at rush hour.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:07 PM

194 posts, read 580,037 times
1st - congrats on your new position at Ball State.

As others have suggested I recommend planning to live at/close to Muncie or Louisville and plan on an apartment or such for the other end. I don't think you both are going to like extending the workday with roughly 3 hours commuting if you live in the middle. Also, if your children get sick during a work day it's probably not going to be satisfactory to you or them if they have to wait an hour plus for a parent to arrive. You may also find locating daycare for them for the workday + the commute time difficult.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:30 AM

4 posts, read 7,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywhiskers View Post
This is the right answer. Or rent a motel in Muncie for the 2-3 days a week you need it.
do not know the right answer, the reward does not it?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 AM

46 posts, read 139,173 times
Default Muncie to Louisville

Congrats on your Ph.D. and getting a faculty position at Ball State. I clicked on your post because I used to work in Madison (which is in southern IN on the Ohio River about an hour from Louisville) and happen to live in Muncie now. The distance between Muncie and Louisville is huge esp. with such young children. I worked for a short time in Carmel which was about 2 1/2 hrs away. I got an apt for the 3 days I worked there then came back south where the fam was. You're gonna need a nanny I think. I cannot imagine a daycare that will work with a Ford schedule (unless there is a daycare there?) and long hours included with your drive. Our youngest was 4 but we had a Grandma so it worked out for the short time I did that crazy commute. What have you and your husband found/decided?

Old 04-26-2015, 09:44 PM

590 posts, read 691,900 times
Another thought is perhaps your husband looking at jobs with Chrysler. I know its not ideal, but they have a major presence in Kokomo, which is only a little more than an hour away. They also have another facility in Tipton, which is an hour away.

I don't think a Muncie/Louisville commute or commuting out from a middle base is viable, especially with children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or