U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:34 AM

588 posts, read 1,040,673 times

Advertisements

Hi Mattec,

Thank you. It's good to have some insight from someone at BSU. Appreciate the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2015, 01:02 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't responded.

I am going to BSU because it is one of the few schools I was offered into graduate school (low GPA) and they have a solid program.

Why would Muncie have such a bad reputation. Is it nothing like the other college towns in IN like West Laf, Bloomington, Terre Haute?

Is there really a huge meth/heroin problem in Delaware county?

I bet I will make trips to Trader Joes, costco, and Whole foods periodically, but yes, I probably won't make it to indy as often as I might want to. I will be focusing on school.

As for Muncie, what I have gathered is that either live NW side, West side, or possible close and around the university. Are the apartments in the andersonville, muncie area decent? I am going to make a trip up in late May to check it out. I have some flexibility when it comes to rent cost. I want to live somewhere a little more

quiet although I am not against living right next to campus. I might prefer not to live with a bunch of
teenager college kids.
I really don't know why Muncie has a bad reputation. Off the top of my head, Muncie has had more than it's share of racial problems for a Midwestern town its size,. It's the meth capital of Indiana. Seems everytime i read the Muncie Star on line, there's always at least one person busted for meth.

Parts of Muncie today can be scary looking if youre not use to being in greasy and gritty looking run down factory town. Muncie was a heavily blue collar union town and the workers were well known to strike and get violent if need be. It got to where companies didnt want to open factories in Muncie because it was so well known the workers in Muncie were radical and will strike at the drop of a hat. That contributed to the economic downfall of Muncie.

Muncie and Terre Haute are way more similar to one another than they are to Bloomington and West Lafayette. Ball State and Indiana State use to be small state teacher's colleges in mid size towns. Muncie has Ball State but Muncie had so much industry that Ball State was not the only thing in town, whereas Bloomington and West Lafayette were pretty much one horse towns. Terre Haute, like Muncie had other things going besides its college, Indiana State.

When I lived in Muncie, there was alot of bitterness between the residents and Ball State. The residents resented the students because they felt like so many of the students thought they were a notch above the Muncie residents and the students thought Muncie was a redneck town and they couldnt wait to get out. Both sides had legitimate reasons to resent one another.

Alot has changed since then, Ball State and Muncie are better friends these days. Muncie needs Ball State a lot more than it use to. But Muncie is still basiclly blue collar town but it has a lot more going for it than it ever has.

Muncie is still a good place to live and you can probably live cheaper in Muncie than just about anywhere else in the United States.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 04-28-2015 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-28-2015, 07:11 PM

272 posts, read 352,448 times
Muncie is nice little city .. Reminded a lot of Bloomington because of its smallness and proximity, of course its downtown is not as nice, lively, and artsy as downtown Bloomington, but the campus is big enough to not worry about what's going around the city. The city location is nice you got Indy down south and Ft. Wayne up north, although I doubt you'll need to go to Ft. Wayne, its much smaller and more far away than Indy.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:07 AM

588 posts, read 1,040,673 times
Thanks guys for the information. I notice there are train tracks in the city of Muncie. Are there a lot of trains going through often? If so, I assume they blow their horn every street. Should I worry about this when choosing a place to live?

Thanks

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 AM

108 posts, read 133,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Thanks guys for the information. I notice there are train tracks in the city of Muncie. Are there a lot of trains going through often? If so, I assume they blow their horn every street. Should I worry about this when choosing a place to live?

Thanks
Yes and yes. Although I don't recall trains being an issue either on campus or to the north and west of campus. Most of the trains run through downtown. The one heavily used track closest to campus would be just south near Godman and Tillotson.

Last edited by PossTXTransplant; 04-29-2015 at 12:07 PM.. Reason: adding value
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana