U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:24 AM

588 posts, read 1,040,933 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Muncie to attend graduate school in the fall.

I have a few questions based on my initial research.

1) Apartment searching: I have a low budget but somewhat flexible. It seems apartments are cheap in Muncie. Ideally, I would like an all utilities paid option. It seems there are some options near the campus. Most of the apartments seem to be old houses transformed into 2 or 3 unit places. They seem to be immediately east and south of campus. Are these safe? Can anybody recommend apartments for me? Doesn't have to be right next to campus. I will have my car and am willing to live 15 min away but ideally it would be nice to be near campus.

2) How far is the drive from campus to the north side of Indianapolis where all the shopping is, costco, nice malls, trader joes, etc? Is this where some of the night life is? I suspect I will be taking trips down to Indy often. It will be an adjustment living in a small city. I grew up in SF and have lived in OKC the past 5 years.

3) What is the main grocery store in Muncie? I see they have Kroger in Indy but there doesn't seem to be any Krogers in Muncie. Is it Meijer?

4) How safe is Muncie generally? Is it like a typical college town safe? From initial research, it seems more dangerous than your normal city of 70,000. Will my car be broken into, safe to walk etc.?

Any other information would be awesome.

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2015, 11:29 AM

20,955 posts, read 15,267,317 times
1) Muncie just isn't a nice place. Yes, these apartments are cheap, but except for around the university, the town is an eyesore.

2) The north side of Indy is about an hour to 1:15 away from Muncie without congestion along I-69.

3) Walmart on 29th street is probably the biggest volume option.

4) Muncie is awash in drugs and the attendant crime that brings. Just in the last month a meth lab was found in the Walmart I mentioned above and the Burger King manager was charged with dealing heroin.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:45 AM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachj7 View Post
Hi all,

I am moving to Muncie to attend graduate school in the fall.

I have a few questions based on my initial research.

1) Apartment searching: I have a low budget but somewhat flexible. It seems apartments are cheap in Muncie. Ideally, I would like an all utilities paid option. It seems there are some options near the campus. Most of the apartments seem to be old houses transformed into 2 or 3 unit places. They seem to be immediately east and south of campus. Are these safe? Can anybody recommend apartments for me? Doesn't have to be right next to campus. I will have my car and am willing to live 15 min away but ideally it would be nice to be near campus.

2) How far is the drive from campus to the north side of Indianapolis where all the shopping is, costco, nice malls, trader joes, etc? Is this where some of the night life is? I suspect I will be taking trips down to Indy often. It will be an adjustment living in a small city. I grew up in SF and have lived in OKC the past 5 years.

3) What is the main grocery store in Muncie? I see they have Kroger in Indy but there doesn't seem to be any Krogers in Muncie. Is it Meijer?

4) How safe is Muncie generally? Is it like a typical college town safe? From initial research, it seems more dangerous than your normal city of 70,000. Will my car be broken into, safe to walk etc.?

Any other information would be awesome.

Thanks guys!
1) Muncie is not as bad as advertised if you stay near campus or downtown.

2) Ball State to Costco is about a 50 minute drive.

3) I do believe there is a Ruler Foods in Muncie, which is owned by Kroger and sells Kroger stuff. It is a discount store, Kroger's attempt at an Aldi type place. Marsh is a local grocery chain and has stores in Muncie. There is a Target too, I do not remember if they have groceries. These are all closer to campus than the WalMart on 29th Street.

4) If you stay near campus, downtown, or along that McGalliard Rd area you'll probably be as ok as any other place. I've been to Muncie a handful of times for events at BSU, and have known folks at BSU. I am by no means an expert on Muncie, but the first reply was so off-base a reply was warranted.

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 04-03-2015 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-03-2015, 11:56 AM

1,913 posts, read 1,807,969 times
^^^^^ This and not the previous.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:22 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,256,707 times
I would agree with what Toxic Toast said. My one tip for if you do come in to Indy, especially the Castleton area on the weekend, try to avoid 82nd St. To go to the mall or anywhere along 86th St (such as Costco), instead of taking the 82nd St Castleton exit from I-69, I prefer to take I-69 to I-465 west to the Allisonville Rd exit, go right to the first light and then right again onto 86th St. Or go left on Allisonville to 82nd St to get to Trader Joes. 82nd St is a nightmare, especially between I-69 and the mall.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 AM

46 posts, read 139,173 times
We like Meijer- it is on the west side, on McGalliard. Walmart is kinda trashy.... I don't know why the first reply mentioned the Walmart on the south side. The one on McGalliard is closer to campus. Yes there are groceries at Target but they do cost more. I also find Marsh to be cost prohibitive for major shopping. I usually go there only for milk.

There are new apartments on McGalliard and Oakwood called The Grove Student Apartments Ball State University | Student Housing Muncie, IN.

Castleton is about an hour away. We do make trips to Trader Joe's. There is also a Whole Foods.

Yes Delaware County is the meth capital of Indiana. Sorry to break it to you.
So why Ball State?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 PM

6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
I would think Scott County would have that title
That would be heroin for Scott County.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:01 AM

2,563 posts, read 1,729,915 times
Muncie's reputation is worse than the city actually is. After Gary, and maybe East Chicago, Muncie probably has the worst reputation of any city in Indiana.. But the reality is, Muncie is not a bad little town. There's a real nice mall in Muncie and lots of good restaraunts. I doubt if you will be running down to Indianapolis as much as you think you will. Whatever you need, you can probably find it in Muncie. Also, the Cardinal Greenway is a nice place to walk, run or ride a bicycle. That Cardinal Greenway goes all the way thru Muncie, in fact I think it goes from Marion all the way to Richmond, follows an old railroad line that went from Cincinnatti to Chicago, I do believe. Theres also Prarie Creek Reservoir outside of Muncie if you like to swim or pontoon boating. Muncie has a big Mardi Gras event that gets bigger every year. They have bbq ribs cook offs downtown. And then theres all the stuff going on out at Ball State. Muncie's a nice town and I believe its one of the best kept secrets in Indiana. Muncie has more than its share of problems, and alot of the town looks bad, but for the most part its a safe town. Unless you hang out with a crowd that attracts trouble, you shouldnt have any problems in Muncie. Once again, Muncie's reputation is much worse than it is. Its safer than Indianapolis and nothing at all like Gary, crime wise.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:47 PM

588 posts, read 1,040,933 times
Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I haven't responded.

I am going to BSU because it is one of the few schools I was offered into graduate school (low GPA) and they have a solid program.

Why would Muncie have such a bad reputation. Is it nothing like the other college towns in IN like West Laf, Bloomington, Terre Haute?

Is there really a huge meth/heroin problem in Delaware county?

I bet I will make trips to Trader Joes, costco, and Whole foods periodically, but yes, I probably won't make it to indy as often as I might want to. I will be focusing on school.

As for Muncie, what I have gathered is that either live NW side, West side, or possible close and around the university. Are the apartments in the andersonville, muncie area decent? I am going to make a trip up in late May to check it out. I have some flexibility when it comes to rent cost. I want to live somewhere a little more quiet although I am not against living right next to campus. I might prefer not to live with a bunch of teenager college kids.

Last edited by Zachj7; 04-23-2015 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-26-2015, 09:28 PM

590 posts, read 691,900 times
As a current BSU Grad student, here are some thoughts:

Muncie is not a bad place and most, if not all, of the sketchy areas are located far from the University on the southside of town.

Its history is more industrial than collegiate, and it shows. This is the primary differential between Muncie and other Indiana college towns, though even with that it is still far nicer than Terre Haute.

Compared to Anderson and Madison County, Muncie and Delaware County come out looking like roses (Anderson is the real meth capital). Thats not to say that Muncie doesn't have its problems, they just aren't as bad as everyone makes them out to be. And again, most of that stuff is in South Muncie.

Marsh and Meijer can cover all of your food needs. Marsh is essentially Krogers and Meijer is a nicer version of Wal-mart with better meats and produce (don't knock them until you try them).

The Mall in Muncie is pretty basic. It has a small Macy's, Carson's, JCPenny, and Sears. Hamilton Town Center is an outdoor mall and is 35 mins away. Castleton Square is your standard mall and is 45 mins away. The Fashion Mall is the high end mall for Indy and has the Apple and Microsoft Stores (Muncie does have a Best Buy); its 50 mins away.

There are several college bars and some new housing in an area called The Village, which is just east of the old quad on University Ave. The new housing has had some mixed reviews and is probably overpriced. Most of the grad students and faculty populate the bars downtown, particularly The Herot, Fickle Peach, and Savages. There is not much housing downtown.

I live in the University Apartment's Scheidler Complex, which is across McGalliard from the football stadium. If you get a roommate, rent with everything included is $330 per month, which isn't bad. They are university owned, which makes paying rent and maintenance a breeze, and there is direct shuttle service to campus. They are also very quiet, as they're mostly international and grad students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana