U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-27-2015, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Reputation: 5812

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
It is definitely a needed law. Too many people will go at or below the speed limit and just "camp" in the left lane. It is almost as if they have too much pride to get over in the right lane. If you're not going to go a little faster than the speed limit, get in the right lane.

However, this is going to be a very difficult law to enforce. It will have to be obvious to pull someone over and I'm sure there is a valid argument to get out of a ticket. Similar to the texting while driving law, it is difficult to enforce. Needless to say, still an effective law to have.
I made the trip up I-65 to Indy from Louisville on Memorial Day. There were a couple of very obvious, and obnoxious, violators of this new law. In those cases, I really do not think it would be a difficult law to enforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2015, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
3,854 posts, read 4,256,707 times
Reputation: 3959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I do believe a lot of states have this sort of law in place already.
I know its been in place in Colorado since at least the 90s. Not sure about other places. I know about Colorado from a guide book when I went on vacation there once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 07:54 AM
 
5,264 posts, read 8,047,292 times
Reputation: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Most of the time if you're running 75 in the left lane, you are gradually passing people that are on the right. I'm never going to get over in the right lane and end up getting stuck behind slower moving traffic just because some people feel like they have a right to run 85-90. Even if I can get in the right lane, I'm not going to let myself get pinned in there where I can't move back over before I catch up to the next vehicle on the right and have to hit the brakes.

I'm not sure where so many people get the idea that they are entitled to drive as fast as they want, and that if people trying to obey the law and drive safely don't get out of their way then they are in the wrong.
You are exactly the person that should be getting over to the right.

And speaking of entitlement - YOU have deemed yourself too important to get the heck over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Bloomington IN
5,862 posts, read 7,085,877 times
Reputation: 14073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You are exactly the person that should be getting over to the right.

And speaking of entitlement - YOU have deemed yourself too important to get the heck over.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 08:40 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times
Reputation: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I do believe a lot of states have this sort of law in place already.
A law that allows motorists to break the speed limit? I know for a fact Illinois does not, a coworker was recently pulled over for executing this exact maneuver and explained it to the cop, still ticketed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
Reputation: 5812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
A law that allows motorists to break the speed limit? I know for a fact Illinois does not, a coworker was recently pulled over for executing this exact maneuver and explained it to the cop, still ticketed.
Did this law get repealed?

Left-lane slowpokes face tougher time under new Illinois law
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 10:39 AM
 
798 posts, read 1,937,921 times
Reputation: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You are exactly the person that should be getting over to the right.

And speaking of entitlement - YOU have deemed yourself too important to get the heck over.

Do you understand what the word 'entitled' means? It means to have a right to do something. As in, people have a basic right to drive within the bounds of the speed limit. By its very definition and because of state speed laws, everyone in the world is absolutely entitled to do this. People are not, however, entitled to drive as fast as they want without regard to safety or others around them.

There's nothing wrong about having a sense of entitlement about something that you are actually entitled to do. It is obnoxious though to have a sense of entitlement about something you are not actually entitled to do (ie driving as fast as you want and expecting others to get the heck out of your way when you have no legal right to do so).

That said, of course I believe that someone driving 10mph under the limit should get over and let others by. But if I'm already driving the speed limit or 5 over, there's no one else out there that has any right or is legally entitled to be going any faster than that. I usually couldn't give less of a crap if somebody wants to drive 85 and I'll move over if I can, but there's no reason why someone running the speed limit should have to move over and put themselves in a position where they get stuck behind someone in the right lane running 10mph slower just so some jerk can shave off a few minutes.

Just for reference, driving 85mph instead of 75mph on a 50 mile trip (assuming you can do it the entire way without having to slow down for anything else like police or people merging on) shaves 4 minutes and 42 seconds off the trip. God forbid some speeder loose those few minutes. I'm sure they plan to do something life changing with the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times
Reputation: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
Do you understand what the word 'entitled' means? It means to have a right to do something. As in, people have a basic right to drive within the bounds of the speed limit. By its very definition and because of state speed laws, everyone in the world is absolutely entitled to do this. People are not, however, entitled to drive as fast as they want without regard to safety or others around them.

There's nothing wrong about having a sense of entitlement about something that you are actually entitled to do. It is obnoxious though to have a sense of entitlement about something you are not actually entitled to do (ie driving as fast as you want and expecting others to get the heck out of your way when you have no legal right to do so).

That said, of course I believe that someone driving 10mph under the limit should get over and let others by. But if I'm already driving the speed limit or 5 over, there's no one else out there that has any right or is legally entitled to be going any faster than that. I usually couldn't give less of a crap if somebody wants to drive 85 and I'll move over if I can, but there's no reason why someone running the speed limit should have to move over and put themselves in a position where they get stuck behind someone in the right lane running 10mph slower just so some jerk can shave off a few minutes.

Just for reference, driving 85mph instead of 75mph on a 50 mile trip (assuming you can do it the entire way without having to slow down for anything else like police or people merging on) shaves 4 minutes and 42 seconds off the trip. God forbid some speeder loose those few minutes. I'm sure they plan to do something life changing with the time.
This ^

Can't rep enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 10:57 AM
 
5,264 posts, read 8,047,292 times
Reputation: 3461
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I'm never going to get over in the right lane and end up getting stuck behind slower moving traffic just because some people feel like they have a right to run 85-90. Even if I can get in the right lane, I'm not going to let myself get pinned in there where I can't move back over before I catch up to the next vehicle on the right and have to hit the brakes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingIndiana View Post
I usually couldn't give less of a crap if somebody wants to drive 85 and I'll move over if I can, but there's no reason why someone running the speed limit should have to move over and put themselves in a position where they get stuck behind someone in the right lane running 10mph slower just so some jerk can shave off a few minutes.
If you are getting pinned in the right lane that means there's a helluva a lot of people who are driving faster than you. Stop being that annoying holier than thou driver who feels they must police the speed of fellow drivers.

Pass on the left then get over.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2015, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Mishawaka, Indiana
6,205 posts, read 8,352,813 times
Reputation: 4622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
If you are getting pinned in the right lane that means there's a helluva a lot of people who are driving faster than you. Stop being that annoying holier than thou driver who feels they must police the speed of fellow drivers.

Pass on the left then get over.

What if you're doing 75 in the left and passing trucks in the right going 65, should you have to move over for the lead foot coming up on you at 85? He's in the wrong for speeding and is NOT entitled to have traffic move aside so he can break the speed limit and pose a threat to cars on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top