Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 05:46 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikko12 View Post
It is about time! It has nothing to do with speed, if you are driving 70 or 90 in the left lane for no reason you should get a ticket. The left lane is for passing, but I always encounter people traveling in the left lane when they are not passing anyone and then get mad at ME when I pass them on the right when they fail to move over. And it drives me insane when other drivers try and police how fast I am driving. If I want to drive 90mph that's my prerogative, those drivers don't have the authority to tell me how fast I can drive.
Driving 90 puts others on the road at risk. It's not a safe speed in an automobile and it's illegal and reckless. Any slip up and you're possibly killing someone for no legitimate reason whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 06:55 PM

682 posts, read 1,628,919 times
Given the number of people texting, and talking, on the phone while driving and weaving all over the place, we should be focusing on stopping that.

Of course, given technology already out there, I fully expect cars will be regulated soon to "block" cell phone traffic while the car is in motion....just a matter of time. The most egregious act I ever saw while driving and I drove a lot was a lady eating sushi with chopsticks. BUT the guy speeding doing 80 while texting is more a hazard that someone driving the speed limit and not talking or texting because they are probably focusing on DRIVING.

It is called a 'speed limit' not a 'speed suggestion' and some thought does need to go into raising that limit on limited access roads. The biggest problem is drivers in the US are not particularly well trained. I'd be all for cell phone blocking technology that shuts off a phone in motion above 20MPH and better driving training. Things would be a lot safer!

Old 06-02-2015, 11:28 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Cell phones

Good luck banning cell phones in cars. In many states you are required to use hands free devices while driving. We actually issue tickets in Illinois for people caught on cell phones while driving.

Many of my conference calls are done while driving, utilizing Bluetooth.

Using this same line of thinking we should put governors in cars to limit them to 70mph. My car has a governor at 150mph but I have no desire to go that fast on public highway.

When driving 300 miles each way for work (above that I fly) I try to go 10 to 15 over the limit (except in busy traffic or construction zones). I think I am pressing my luck going 20 over, though this is often the flow of traffic on tollways in Chicago area.

Old 06-02-2015, 11:34 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
Good luck banning cell phones in cars. In many states you are required to use hands free devices while driving. We actually issue tickets in Illinois for people caught on cell phones while driving.

Many of my conference calls are done while driving, utilizing Bluetooth.

Using this same line of thinking we should put governors in cars to limit them to 70mph. My car has a governor at 150mph but I have no desire to go that fast on public highway.

When driving 300 miles each way for work (above that I fly) I try to go 10 to 15 over the limit (except in busy traffic or construction zones). I think I am pressing my luck going 20 over, though this is often the flow of traffic on tollways in Chicago area.
I hope you don't honestly think we should put governors in cars to relegate them to 70MPH.

And yes, driving through the Chicago freeways myself I can attest that NO ONE does 55, unless they're very very old and scared. Most cars do 60-70, with the fast lane averaging 75-80.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:28 AM

141 posts, read 217,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Driving 90 puts others on the road at risk. It's not a safe speed in an automobile and it's illegal and reckless. Any slip up and you're possibly killing someone for no legitimate reason whatsoever.
It is more dangerous to drive distracted doing 55 than it is paying attention to your driving and going 90. The problem is that people either drive tired, are talking on the phone, texting, etc instead of watching the road. And people driving in the passing lane that feel they have to regulate other people's driving is another problem. It only makes the situation worse and creates unnecessary congestion.

Also, I don't routinely drive 90mph, I usually drive 80, and many other states have speed limits that are 80mph.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:30 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationconsultant View Post
Given the number of people texting, and talking, on the phone while driving and weaving all over the place, we should be focusing on stopping that.

Of course, given technology already out there, I fully expect cars will be regulated soon to "block" cell phone traffic while the car is in motion....just a matter of time. The most egregious act I ever saw while driving and I drove a lot was a lady eating sushi with chopsticks. BUT the guy speeding doing 80 while texting is more a hazard that someone driving the speed limit and not talking or texting because they are probably focusing on DRIVING.

It is called a 'speed limit' not a 'speed suggestion' and some thought does need to go into raising that limit on limited access roads. The biggest problem is drivers in the US are not particularly well trained. I'd be all for cell phone blocking technology that shuts off a phone in motion above 20MPH and better driving training. Things would be a lot safer!
Agreed. I'm from the South, so maybe our drivers are just slower, but it is routine for me to be going north on I-69 from the 465 interchange and me be doing 75, and people riding me, even in the center lane. Once they get north of Hamilton Town Center, people will often gun it to 85+. I think the drivers here drive way too fast and drive very aggressively.

Old 06-04-2015, 11:51 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Going 20 mph faster than the limit is pushing your luck

It is common to go 80mph in Chicago on 1-88, 355, and 294, especially during the morning and afternoon.

That said, I do not go 25mph over the limit while driving rural interstates in Indiana or downstate Illinois or Wisconsin or Michigan.

In those states with speed limit of 80mph, I see no reason to go over 100mph.

On 465 I have been pulled over 3 times in the last 10 years going 77mph in 55mph zone. I was ticketed only once. Now, I generally try to keep it at or below 70mph on 465.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana