Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 10:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

INDIANAPOLIS | The never-ending battle over use of the left lane on interstate highways almost certainly is intensifying this Memorial Day weekend as millions of motorists travel to or through Indiana, the "Crossroads of America."

Speedy drivers tend to believe the left lane is reserved for them to pass all the slowpokes and trucks in the highway's right lane.

New Indiana law: Move over, slowpokes; if you don't, it could cost you $500 - Indiana Economic Digest - Indiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 10:51 PM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Great news. Maybe they will start handing out tickets to these nervous and/or selfish people. These people who drive at speeds no more than 55 or 60 mph need to get off the interstate and drive on the frontage road, or if there is no frontage road, they should drive on a state highway that runs paralell to the interstate. Driving on the interstate 20 miles an hour slower than the flow of traffic is not only self-centerred and dangerous, their slow-poke driving defeats the purpose of driving on the interstate. Either drive it like you own it or get out of the way.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:29 AM

890 posts, read 882,727 times
People get angry on I-65 if I am in the left lane doing 75 mph, while I am passing cars and trucks in the right hand lane. I have been flipped off, tail gated, lights flashed at me, occasionally a driver has pulled in front of me and slowed down, trying to back me off out of the lane, which I never do. I just slow down with them as they go slow in the fast lane, creating the safety hazard.
I don't have this problem on I-74 which has less traffic. I don't sit out in the fast lane any longer than I need to safely pass the slower traffic.
There are too many impatient angry drivers on I-65 from Indianapolis to Lafayette. How fast are we supposed to speed in the fast lane to keep those jerks happy?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:00 AM

2,686 posts, read 7,870,272 times
Default 75mph may be too slow

Speed limit is 70mph except thru Marion and Tippecanoe counties in Indiana on I 65. I also take I 74 southeast of Indy on my way to see the folks from Chicago.

The issue is not so much your speed as how long it takes you to pass in the left lane. If you are going 75mph and you are passing someone going 74mph it will take forever. We see this a lot with semis where one has 69mph governor and the other has 70mph governor. Tis is for company trucks. It is not unusual to see owner operators going well in excess of 70mph.

You should be going at least 80mph if you are going to hang out in the left lane. I average 85 mph from Chicago to Indy, and try to stay above 80 unless there is heavy traffic. Under ideal conditions I will go 90mph so long as there is light traffic and no cops. I usually will go 70mph or slightly less on 465 if there is police presence or traffic dictates it.

With cops I will keep within 10mph, but usually do not get down to 75 unless traffic dictates it.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM

625 posts, read 1,810,617 times
It is definitely a needed law. Too many people will go at or below the speed limit and just "camp" in the left lane. It is almost as if they have too much pride to get over in the right lane. If you're not going to go a little faster than the speed limit, get in the right lane.

However, this is going to be a very difficult law to enforce. It will have to be obvious to pull someone over and I'm sure there is a valid argument to get out of a ticket. Similar to the texting while driving law, it is difficult to enforce. Needless to say, still an effective law to have.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:39 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,014 times
Most of the time if you're running 75 in the left lane, you are gradually passing people that are on the right. I'm never going to get over in the right lane and end up getting stuck behind slower moving traffic just because some people feel like they have a right to run 85-90. Even if I can get in the right lane, I'm not going to let myself get pinned in there where I can't move back over before I catch up to the next vehicle on the right and have to hit the brakes.

I'm not sure where so many people get the idea that they are entitled to drive as fast as they want, and that if people trying to obey the law and drive safely don't get out of their way then they are in the wrong.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Wow...another regressive law in Indiana, is anyone really surprised?

Old 05-27-2015, 03:41 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
How is it regressive?

Old 05-27-2015, 06:28 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,266,803 times
My favorite are the couple of news stations that seem to be trying to spin this law. Channel 16 in South Bend had a headline saying something along the lines of possibly being fined for going the speed limit (the headline has since been changed). Channel 15 in Fort Wayne has this "Indiana motorists who obey the speed limit in the left lanes of multi-lane highways soon will be required to move over to allow faster vehicles to pass or risk $500 fines." Um, no, it requires slower traffic in the left lane not passing someone to get over to the right if they are being overtaken from behind. It doesn't matter if that slower traffic is going 50 or 80.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 17,284,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
I do believe a lot of states have this sort of law in place already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana