U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington or Indiana
Washington 10 66.67%
Indiana 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 03:35 AM

183 posts, read 213,073 times

Advertisements

I would prefer Indiana because of the affordable living, housing and low property taxes here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 12:09 AM

6,305 posts, read 13,199,774 times
This is no contest. Washington by far.

Old 06-07-2015, 04:27 AM

643 posts, read 447,965 times
Seattle traffic and housing costs are a deal breaker. Seattle of 1970 would be a clear winner.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:39 PM

1,525 posts, read 3,360,249 times
I'd say Indiana, but only because you mentioned you want a more family oriented place and probably with that, a much lower COL.

If the outdoors, nature, and mostly progressive politics are more important to you, I'd lean more towards Washington.

I spent a good part of my life in Indiana and most of my family lives around there. I'm probably moving to Holland/GR though, not back to Indiana. I don't want to live far away from a large body of water for boating, sailing, fishing, kayaking, nice beaches to lie around on. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I moved to WA 4 years ago and I love it here. The hiking is top notch, it is drop dead gorgeous, there is no state income tax, politically, it is up my alley for the most part, and the economy is doing well here. But don't think this is my forever home because I can't stomach the housing prices here and the traffic is horrendous. Also if you like drinking, it is extremely expensive here to buy liquor.

You might also want to consider Louisville, KY. My sister, BIL, and a lot of my friends live there and love it. I like going to visit myself, but it is too hot and humid for me there most of the year to consider moving there. But it has a low COL, wineries, hilly terrain, pretty family oriented, good arts and restaurant scene.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:53 PM

6,305 posts, read 13,199,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnenwende View Post
I'd say Indiana, but only because you mentioned you want a more family oriented place and probably with that, a much lower COL.

If the outdoors, nature, and mostly progressive politics are more important to you, I'd lean more towards Washington.

I spent a good part of my life in Indiana and most of my family lives around there. I'm probably moving to Holland/GR though, not back to Indiana. I don't want to live far away from a large body of water for boating, sailing, fishing, kayaking, nice beaches to lie around on. That's a dealbreaker for me.

I moved to WA 4 years ago and I love it here. The hiking is top notch, it is drop dead gorgeous, there is no state income tax, politically, it is up my alley for the most part, and the economy is doing well here. But don't think this is my forever home because I can't stomach the housing prices here and the traffic is horrendous. Also if you like drinking, it is extremely expensive here to buy liquor.

You might also want to consider Louisville, KY. My sister, BIL, and a lot of my friends live there and love it. I like going to visit myself, but it is too hot and humid for me there most of the year to consider moving there. But it has a low COL, wineries, hilly terrain, pretty family oriented, good arts and restaurant scene.
This. I agree.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 AM

396 posts, read 338,801 times
The cost of living in Indiana is much lower but Washington state, particularly around Seattle/Tacoma, would be much less of a culture shock since you're relocating from California.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:05 AM

55 posts, read 97,531 times
I was raised in Evansville, IN., which is in the very southwestern tip of Indiana. I spent 35 years in Socal (Escondido and Temecula) and now live in Newburgh, IN., which is right next to Evansville. I also lived in Portland, OR., for 4 years. I think you would be much happier in Washington. My daughter-in-law who was born and raised in Socal has lived here in Southern Indiana for two years and she is still struggling with culture shock.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:54 AM

10 posts, read 15,270 times
I'm sorry to high jack your post but I am considering a move from So Cal to northern Indiana. Several posters here have talked about culture shock. What kind of shock are they talking about ?

Old 07-08-2015, 07:15 AM

396 posts, read 338,801 times
Culture shock occurs when you're suddenly immersed in an area where the way of life, weather and peoples' attitudes are completely different from your norm.

I was born and raised in northern California, not inner city but close to San Francisco in Marin County. By a twist of fate, I wound up in a small town in north central Indiana at age 27. It was a huge change and one that required a lot of adjustment on my part. I think it would have been easier had making friends not been such a challenge. This is a generalization based on my experiences only, but I found that people were more standoffish in Indiana and had a very well delineated area of personal space. I sort of felt like the overly exuberant puppy. Once I finally did make a friend, she advised me to quit trying so hard and accept that since I wasn't actually from the area (and had the temerity to marry a local boy), I would always be viewed with a mixture of suspicion and distrust. It was tough having few female friends but after our children arrived, it wasn't such a big deal. When they started school, getting involved with the PTA and other child-centered activities afforded more opportunities to meet moms my age and friendships followed. But initially, yeah it was tough...very tough. Couple that with the long winters that caused major cabin fever. Outdoor recreational activities were there, but not in the same quantity or quality that NoCal afforded, which was to be expected.

In time, I learned to love Indiana and glad my children had the opportunity to grow up in a low key, low crime area. That said, when the husband and I retired and our youngest and his family moved to Iowa for a job, it didn't bother me one bit when we decided to sell our house and follow them (the only grandchild is a pretty powerful lure). We are loving Iowa....great state with very friendly people and an abundance of natural beauty.

So, moral of the story, liking where you live is what you make of it, but don't go in with blinders on. California to Indiana is going to be very different for reasons others already mentioned. Knowing that going in along with your ability to adjust will either have a very happy ending, or make you wonder what you were thinking.

Old 07-09-2015, 03:58 PM

10 posts, read 15,270 times
Thanks for the input. I think how sheltered you are before the move, and if your moving for the change of lifestyle will have a big influence. I deal with the public in Los Angeles and need to adjust to many cultures daily. I am looking forward to the slower more rural lifestyle I should be fine. I will need to keep eye on my sons to make sure they are adjusting ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or