U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2015, 06:29 AM

22 posts, read 30,238 times

Advertisements

We live in Louisville and want to downsize when we retire. We want to move to a small town and Corydon might fit the bill. The only problem is we worry about the drug culture that plagues so many small towns. Does Corydon have a big drug problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 10:40 AM

20,170 posts, read 34,496,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhayes1976 View Post
We live in Louisville and want to downsize when we retire. We want to move to a small town and Corydon might fit the bill. The only problem is we worry about the drug culture that plagues so many small towns. Does Corydon have a big drug problem?
Coydon has a solid community feel with a good many people that care about their town. A good number of people also live there and commute to jobs in Louisville region so that keeps the town from getting to stagnant. The bigger issues in terms of smaller towns with more significant issues would be up by Scottsburg, Austin, or Salem.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:58 PM

9,586 posts, read 20,468,292 times
Agreed, worst problems are right in Austin and Scottsburg and to a lesser extent in Salem, Pekin, and Charlestown. There are a few drug users everywhere, I doubt Corydon is any worse than average. I really like Georgetown, Lanesville, and Corydon and in the long run might even consider moving out that way. I'm in the process of moving from East Louisville to New Albany right now and wouldn't mind being in a quaint smaller town.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:04 AM

798 posts, read 1,938,677 times
Corydon is a nice place with a historic small downtown area and a handful of chain and big box places near the interstate. There are more than enough people making/abusing drugs in the area, but it's not something that would affect a normal citizen by and large on a daily basis. I would not say there is a 'drug culture' there in the same way that there is in Austin and other places. As others have said, Corydon still has several people that care about their town and there is a good community feel. There are also some nice homes in the area, some walking trails around town being worked on, and a few nice parks. Haywood nature preserve is great. I go there from time to time and enjoy it quite a bit.

It's a scenic area with some good outdoor opportunities and only about 25 minutes or so from all the restaurants and events that happen in downtown New Alabany, or 30-35 minutes to downtown Louisville assuming lighter traffic. Also an easy drive to several wineries and some other sights in the area. Definitely worth looking into if you're looking to downsize in a smaller town.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:47 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,300,121 times
I lived in Corydon for a long time. Overall I think it's a great place. Small town living, big sense of community, and the people are decent overall. It has a nice little downtown historic square with some shops, places to eat, etc...

I lived on the outskirts of Corydon(more country), it's actually a pretty area. Every town unfortunately has drugs, but Corydon is a lot better than most smaller towns. I think you'd be happy!

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 AM

35 posts, read 56,397 times
Is there a flooding problem in Corydon?

Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM

798 posts, read 1,938,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Burk View Post
Is there a flooding problem in Corydon?
Not particularly. I suppose if you have a low property right on the creek, but not in general like parts of Louisville or New Albany
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana