U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Old 06-16-2015, 12:50 PM
14,365 posts, read 16,288,712 times
Reputation: 12871


For Auto Insurance:

  • If you decline/opt out of Uninsured Motorist Coverage for Property Damage in Indiana.
  • And you also have Collision Coverage.

If someone that is uninsured is at-fault for an accident and crashes into your car and damages your car - will your Collision coverage kick in?

In most states the answer is yes. But I want to check if Indiana has some different law.

I know Indiana Uninsured Motorist Coverage is add to your policy by default, but you can opt out in writing.

Seems to be redundant coverage if you already have Collision coverage. Yeah - you'd have to pay the deductible for you Collision coverage.

Here is some info about Uninsured Motorist Property Damage.

Uninsured motorist property damage (UMPD) covers your insured vehicle when it is damaged by a driver who doesn’t have auto insurance (uninsured). Hit-and-run accidents are not normally covered.
If you don’t have collision coverage, uninsured motorist property damage coverage pays up to a certain amount for repairs to the insured car. Some states limit coverage to $3,500; some are lower, and some are higher, even up to the actual cash value of the vehicle.
In many states, UMPD coverage doesn’t come with a deductible, but in a few it does (typically $200 to $500).
If you have collision coverage, then in some states uninsured motorist property damage coverage only pays your collision deductible amount, or may not be available to you at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 03:29 PM
396 posts, read 337,472 times
Reputation: 903
Indiana doesn't have any law that says collision damage won't be covered if done by an uninsured/underinsured motorist. The only law on the books about it says it must be offered and must be declined if you choose not to add it. However, for the money, it's nice to have on the off chance something does happen where you'll need it (medical bills for you or any passenger that exceed the limits on your policy, ditto for property damage). As far as deductibles are concerned, some policies do have them for UM/UIM....ours did not and it sure came in handy when an uninsured drunk driver totaled our son's parked car, damaging a tree, the curb and part of the sidewalk in front of our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top