Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2008, 08:28 PM

21 posts, read 89,025 times

Advertisements

I was curious if anyone here has specific information on the area of Huntington, just west of Ft. Wayne.

My wife and I are looking to relocate to N. Indiana from middle TN and we have pretty much narrowed it down to the area directly west of Fort Wayne. We have found properties that we like on both the north and south sides of N.Jefferson Street.

Any information on the local school district for that area would be greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to interject with anything else you would like to say about that area as well beyond just the local school districts.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:47 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,722,653 times
I taught for a long term substitute teaching position at Riverview midde school for about 9 weeks in 2001. I was really impressed with the school and the kids there. The administration was extremely good at supporting and helping the teachers. The kids got to go on several field trips that I was able to chaperone, and it was quite a great school. I don't know about the rest of the schools in Huntington though.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:13 AM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
Here's a list of schools in the Huntington district, from the Indiana Dept. of Education:

Search for Schools

I went to college near Huntington and always liked the town.

Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,423,512 times
One if the first things you may want to do (especially if you have kids) if you are thinking of moving to Huntington, is check out the sex offender registry. Huntington is crawling with child molesters for a town of only 16,000. In fact, a few months ago, about 20 molesters/offenders alone had to move because they were living too close to Lincoln Elm. School.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Here's a list of schools in the Huntington district, from the Indiana Dept. of Education:

Search for Schools

I went to college near Huntington and always liked the town.
Domergurl, thanks for that link. It's greatly appreciated.

So from that list, I am assuming that Huntington North High School services all of the other middle and elementary schools. That's interesting, because I don't know if I have ever seen a situation where there was a need for 8 elementary schools but only 1 high school.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:15 PM

17,763 posts, read 39,592,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GroverCleveland View Post
Domergurl, thanks for that link. It's greatly appreciated.

So from that list, I am assuming that Huntington North High School services all of the other middle and elementary schools. That's interesting, because I don't know if I have ever seen a situation where there was a need for 8 elementary schools but only 1 high school.
yep, 1 high school. It's pretty common in Indiana. There are many counties that have 1 high school.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
One if the first things you may want to do (especially if you have kids) if you are thinking of moving to Huntington, is check out the sex offender registry. Huntington is crawling with child molesters for a town of only 16,000. In fact, a few months ago, about 20 molesters/offenders alone had to move because they were living too close to Lincoln Elm. School.
Thanks for the advice Interpol.
I checked it out. It looks like there is about 600 more (59 to 658) in my current area of Nashville, TN. So I'm not too worried about it.

I realize that per capita that would still probably be a lower percentage, but when you're talking those kinds of numbers, it really doesn't make me feel any better that the percentage is lower. Having 600+ sex offender around me is a pretty frightening thought regardless of the city population. So I'm more than willing to take my chances in the Fort Wayne/Huntington area.

I do appreciate the advice though, I hadn't even thought of checking that.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,676 times
Thumbs up RE: Huntington Schools

Grover, we moved to Huntington last summer from out-of-state. So far, it seems to be a pretty genial town (people are friendly, etc.), and our 8th grade son seems to have settled into Riverview middle school with no problems. I like the area because it's small enough to where things are pretty mellow here, not much traffic to speak of, no gangs wandering the streets or any other rampant crime, and it's only 20 minutes from Ft. Wayne. Decent restaurants, grocery stores, Walmart (of course), pizza places, the usual range of services. There's a nice little strip of shops downtown as well. The high school (which our son will be attending next year) looks to be a pretty large (and very new/clean) facility, which I guess makes sense since it serves such a large geographic area. We live a few blocks north of Jefferson, which from what I've heard from locals is the "better" side of town, for what that's worth. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana