U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:20 AM

4 posts, read 9,175 times

Advertisements

I am a senior citizen who will be traveling by car from Michigan through part of Indiana to Florence Ky. I will have 2 grand children 11 and 13 with me to visit relatives. Could you tell me places of interest where we could visit without being too much out of our way. I am not familiar with Indiana at all. I don't like driving in heavy traffic and would like any ideas how to cross the river into Ky with the least amount of traffic. I would greatly appreciate any ideas you could give mi.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 06:54 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,261,576 times
Do you know what route you are planning to take? Where in Michigan are you coming from? The only way to cross the river without going far out of your way is in Cincinnati, either on I-75 or or one of the bridges in downtown Cincinnati. The next closest crossing in Indiana is on SR 101 near Florence, IN. From there you can either take I-71 or US 42 back north to Florence, KY but you'll go much further south than you need to and SR 101 isn't the easiest place to get to. You'll go way farther south than you need to just to come back northeast to Florence. The only other crossing between Cincinnati and Louisville from Indiana to Kentucky is in Madison, IN on US 421. It's much easier to access than SR 101 because you can get to it from I-74 and Madison is a relatively touristy area with Clifty Falls State Park right there. But you're still going well out of your way.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:24 AM

21,009 posts, read 15,307,070 times
If you can come down I-69, I would do that. You can go to 69 until you reach Indianapolis, take 465 for a few miles, then go to I-74 to Cincinatti and take 275 to 75 to get to Kentucky.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Do you know what route you are planning to take? Where in Michigan are you coming from? The only way to cross the river without going far out of your way is in Cincinnati, either on I-275 or or one of the bridges in downtown Cincinnati. The next closest crossing in Indiana is on SR 101 near Florence, IN. From there you can either take I-71 or US 42 back north to Florence, KY but you'll go much further south than you need to and SR 101 isn't the easiest place to get to. You'll go way farther south than you need to just to come back northeast to Florence. The only other crossing between Cincinnati and Louisville from Indiana to Kentucky is in Madison, IN on US 421. It's much easier to access than SR 101 because you can get to it from I-74 and Madison is a relatively touristy area with Clifty Falls State Park right there. But you're still going well out of your way.
Had to make the bolded correction. Should be I-275, not I-75.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 PM

2,588 posts, read 4,723,041 times
I traveled on highway 231 throughout Alabama, TN, KY and up to Lafayette, IN. 231 in Indiana is a great road to travel - not much traffic, nice pace of traffic, far fewer semis on the road, etc. I would recommend it! No problem going over the Ohio River either.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I traveled on highway 231 throughout Alabama, TN, KY and up to Lafayette, IN. 231 in Indiana is a great road to travel - not much traffic, nice pace of traffic, far fewer semis on the road, etc. I would recommend it! No problem going over the Ohio River either.
That puts her into Kentucky over 3 hours west of Florence, though, which is across the river from Cincinnati. Still, it probably depends on exactly what the OP is wanting and where they are coming from in Michigan.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:04 AM

9,707 posts, read 7,654,638 times
The I-275 Ohio River bridge on the western outskirts of Cincinnati (coming from Indiana) is an easy crossing, as this stretch of highway doesn't get the traffic that I-75 itself receives. However, once you connect with I-75 to get to Florence, expect major traffic, especially during rush hour and on late Friday afternoons and late Sunday afternoons, as the "Ohio Navy" makes its way to and from Kentucky's Lake Cumberland, and as exiled Kentuckians make their way back to the old homeplaces for weekend visits. But the Ohio River bridge area is rather rural and scenic, with wooded hills and pastoral valleys.

I-75 is well-marked with signs, though the ones northbound ones regarding the airport exit (onto I-275) are confusing, and it's easy to get into the wrong lane. Other than that, you should have no difficulty, and you won't be on I-75 very long to reach Florence.

There's lots to see and do along the way and in Greater Cincinnati. The Indianapolis Children's Museum is world-famous, and would be a nice mid-trip break. How long will you be in Florence?

Things to see and do with grandkids in and around Cincinnati would include King's Island, a huge amusement park on the northern outskirts of Cincinnati, the Cincinnati Science Museum in downtown Cincy in the old Union Railroad Terminal, the Cincinnati Zoo, the Newport Aquarium, featuring sharks this summer.

A couple of hours down I-75 is the very scenic Kentucky Horse Park, just outside of Lexington in the world-famous Bluegrass Region of Kentucky, with over 200 horses of all breeds, great museums, a restaurant for lunch, and horse shows daily plus competitive shows every weekend during the summer. The Mid-America Miniature Horse Show is coming up July 4 weekend.

The stretch of I-75 between Cincinnati and Lexington has much less traffic once you leave the Greater Cincinnati area, and while traffic increases as you near Lexington, it is not comparable to that in Cincinnati. The Kentucky Horse Park is just off of I-75, at the Ironworks Road exit just past Georgetown.

Have a safe trip, and enjoy your grandkids - what great memories they're going to have!

Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 PM

3,455 posts, read 5,860,940 times
1st question that comes to mind is ....where are you starting from in Michigan? That would make a difference as to what part of Indiana you will be driving down through.

2nd question is do you drive on Interstates?

Things to do with the kids in Indiana?

Are you planning to spend a night or 2 in Indiana?

If you come down 65 or 69 out of Michigan, Indiana Beach in Monticello, Indiana is a fun place for kids of all ages and it is sort of in the middle of the state between the 2 roads.

Indiana Beach Amusement Resort

In the Eastern part of Indiana there are some great nature parks. It would be more out of the way maybe, but Turkey Run State Park is pretty cool . You would have to walk the trails with the kids and some are kind of rugged but very pretty and a lot of fun. There is also tubing and I think a waterpark in that area.

DNR: Turkey Run State Park

If you end up going through Indianapolis the Children's Museum and the Zoo are fun. Indianapolis is a pretty easy city to drive in, too.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:52 PM

2,581 posts, read 1,739,122 times
Ok, well I took a look at the 2014 Rand McNally road map. If you are entering Indiana from the small town called New Buffalo, Michigan, looks like it's about 12 miles from Michigan City, Indiana on Lake Michigan, the best way to get to Florence, Kentucky is to go east on Highway 12 to Highway 31 and turn South. Go thru the Westside of South Bend to Highway 20 and follow that to Highway 33, South of Elkhart. Follow Highway 33 to the Indiana-Ohio border and on to the town of Mercer, Ohio and there you will turn south on Highway 127 to Cincinnati where you can cross the bridge not too far from Florence, Kentucky.

There's stuff to see in South Bend and Ft Wayne, and the part of the drive from Elkhart to Ohio has quite a few Amish. Which might be interesting, to see the Amish riding in horse and buggys and their very different culture.

No matter where you enter Michigan whether it's near Coldwater, Michigan, or New Buffalo, the quickest route is to get Highway 30 or 33 SE of Ft Wayne to the Ohio border.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2015, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 12,202 times
I'd suggest a stop at the Maria Stein Shrine of the Holy Relics. What is it? It is a Catholic Shrine in western Ohio, 15 miles/15 minutes from the Ohio/Indiana state line and 20 miles/20 minutes from I-75, and it contains hundreds of relics - hair, bone, clothing, books, etc. - from hundreds of saints from throughout the past several centuries. It also houses a historical museum that focuses on the German pioneers who settled the rural farmland and the early priests and nuns who provided religious services to the original settlers. It is relatively unknown and often quiet, so you may be able to get all of your questions answered by one of the nuns or volunteers working.

I'd also suggest a stop at Fort Recovery, 1 mile east of the Indiana/Ohio border, to pay tribute to the soldiers and Native Americans killed in the battles fought there. They have a replica stockade (fort) and historical museum housing Native American and Revolutionary War-era army items. They sell simple trinkets, like replica arrowheads, that might be fun for the kids.

These two stops, Fort Recovery and Maria Stein, are both along State Route 119 in Ohio. Also, you will intersect 119 midway between these two stops along US 127, if you choose that route.

Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana