Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,477,811 times

Advertisements

Just stay out of Gary!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 04:00 PM

27 posts, read 95,213 times
Thanks for all your inputs. This helps alot and I will have alot to look at when I take my visit up to Indy in March.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 PM

3 posts, read 10,370 times
I have lived in both texas, new york and Indiana. I was born in this state but not a big fan. It has changed alot since I was a kid and not in a good way. Carmel and fishers are considered the yuppies suburban area of indianapolis. it depends one thing I can tell you is that if you have to commute to any other part of Indianapolis for jobs especially being a nurse be warned. TRAFFIC really sucks for the fishers and carmel area. While the area is newer it has expanded faster then the local highway systems so these areas become deadlock quick. I live in greenwood which is on the south side of indiananpolis I have avoided the north side due to traffic issues among other things. Now Greenwood still has its share of traffic but 31 only becomes deadlock headed north bound on occassions of serious accidents on 465 plus we have comunity south, st fransis, and tons of doctors offices where you can find a good home, good neighborhood with a lot less traffic problems. and the added benifit is that it is not as pretentsious(sp?) greenwood mall is pretty decent and going through an expansion phase. there are also alot of new housing edditions going up around here it is an option to consider

Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 AM

9 posts, read 27,236 times
Talking Bucolic Indiana

Welcome to bucolic Indiana. I was stationed at West Point and Ft. Sam in San Antonio. Loved 'em both. I read your posting and you are right you will not have a problem getting a job. Here is a clue for you cause I would hate to see you leave some money on the table. You should receive a $10,000 to $15,000 signing bonus when you sign an employment contract as a nurse. So if you have made inquiries on jobs and discussed pay and that hasn't come up....i would be happy to assist ......like every city I reckon, each side and part has its advantages and disadvantages. What I have found is that cities break down into populations by several categories, ...typically race, income, education, and attitudes/perspectives..... I would say that generally (and u know what they say about generalizations....they're generally true :-) ) the intelligensia lives on the north side of Indpls. carmel, fishers, zionsville etc.....we have superior infrastructure (u know like roads, sewers, municipal water, schools, shopping, entertainment....if you are into that kind of thing.....I have been a life long resident of Indy except for my college years, and miliatary service...I am a lawyer, realtor, and appraiser.....I would be more than happy to answer questions you may have regarding just about any possible question someone moving in without a clue could possibly have....from schools, to shopping to jobs to trends in jobs, real estate values....etc. Email is mmoores1
@comcast.net . I attached a resume for your review, u can give me a holler at your inclination and convenience by any method provided therein.

And again welcome. You will find Indy one of the best kept secrets in these United States.

Old 02-08-2008, 07:19 PM

9 posts, read 59,375 times
Default try out Columbus, Indiana

We aren't big city - but we aren't small. Please check out Columbus, Indiana. The Columbus Regional Hospital serves over 13 counties and is currently expanding its ER division nearly tripling it's size. It is a magnet hospital for nursing and has won numerous awards because it puts the patients first. World class facility in a moderate sized town. Great cost of living, 3 minute commutes to work, and safe environment.
Columbus is a small town with big city perks.
[mod] real estate agent advertising/solicitaion is not permitted[/mod]

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-09-2008 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-09-2008, 09:16 PM

24 posts, read 147,092 times
As a nurse you will have your pick of some great hospitals, Clarian North is beautiful, Community North is too, and then St Vincents on the North Side of Indianapolis, and if you want to drive 15 mins into downtown, the IU hospitals are there. There are many to choose from, and some cute condos and townhouses to live in, and the Monon trail to explore. Good Luck!

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM

27 posts, read 95,213 times
Thanks to everyone for all your thoughts regarding Indiana. Looking forward to my visit in March. Clarian Hospitals seem to pay better than Community Hospitals from the info I can get out of them without an actual interview. This is why I think Fishers or Carmel would be a good start (to rent first). Thanks again.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
Default Texas to Fort Wayne, IN

Yes, check out Fort Wayne, IN. We moved from New Braunfels (where I worked at a hospital in downtown San Antonio....agree about the no-English part!) back here to Fort Wayne. LOVE the 4 seasons (HATED the cedar season and all the other allergies in Texas, especially south Texas!), there are NO fire ants here, no scorpions, no HUGE centipedes (have small ones), NO snakes, no really BAD bugs (there are some wasps and stuff, but nothing really bad.).

There is quite a bit to do here....you are close to Indy and Chicago, Michigan and Ohio, yet Fort Wayne has that "small town" feel. The schools are excellent, especially the north part of the city. I found a job fairly quickly (I'm a pharmacist) and I know our hospital is expanding.

Best of luck. Penske has the best truck rentals. Maybe a little higher priced than U-Haul, but trucks are more dependable (take it from someone who's rented from U-Haul, Budget and Penske). Join AAA first, and the discount on the truck alone will more than pay for the membership.

Tayne Peirce

Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM

11 posts, read 38,514 times
Can't advise you about northern Indiana. In the southern part Bloomington has developed a large independent surgery center and outpatient facilities. My cousin just got a degree in nursing and had no problem getting a job there. It's hilly and tree covered. If ethnic restaurants and world music is an interest that's a good place.
If the terrain is important to you Southern Indiana is hilly while Indy and above is flat as a pancake. Glaciers. It's according to if you feel better in a more open area.
If you like smaller towns Nashville is known for it's fall colors and lovely hills but wont have much employment.
You might also look into Columbus, in. It is pretty, hilly, and has a stable economy less expensive housing stock than Bloomington, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana