Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 12:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
Spent the past 30 years in education...bottom line, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. America has a marriage and absent father epidemic. Sorry, but if the family is weak, the child is weak. Simple as that. There are exceptions.

Families are busy doing nothing...wisdom is lost. Technology was to ease our lives...I do not see it at all. People are so narcissistic with their "devices" social engagement is lost. Loneliness epidemic. In the end, all the time and effort sacrificed by families is for what? Children need stability and consistency to process. Teachers are not parents and counselors but are put in those positions.
I wonder that if the historic, traditional US society is lost, what does this mean for the country? Will the welfare state continue to grow and the past two-parent family dynamic fade? Where is the divorce rate heading? The bulk of the youth who will make up the productive class almost have to put themselves before anything. Before cultivating serious relationships, before immediately family desires for them to stay "home,", etc.. Young people today almost have to attend college, then likely move somewhere for a first job, then maybe go live somewhere else for a resume builder job, etc. Then You factor in that too many young people are becoming totally dependent on technology and/or intoxication to function and socialize with their peers. Could the US see the rise of their own clusters of herbivore men like we see in Japan? Will the ever increasing age of first marriage make it harder for aging women to find a man willing to commit? Will we see more people choose to engage in more short term relationships rather than embrace the concept of having a lifetime partner/spouse?

Some actually think everything will be fine, that we will adapt no matter what happens. Only the future will show us what the outcome will be. The next two decades should be really interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,682,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I was just reading about another state that lost out on 3000 white collar, high paying jobs because of it's education reputation. Indiana cannot find teachers to teach in the schools, and many college students are skipping out on majoring in education, much like the state that lost the jobs. This is becoming an issue that people are aware of on the national level given the Washington Post article this week on the subject. Do you think this teacher shortage will negatively impact economic growth in the state?

On top of the RFRA law, I see this as a further detriment to economic growth in the state. (And I'm not talking about minimum wage, call-center type jobs. I am thinking about white collar, high paying, professional jobs that will keep bright young people in the state.)
Many intelligent young people leave Indiana because the state is run by morons. Pence is a good example of just such a moron. And it's not just Pence. There are hundreds of thousands just like him.

Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777 View Post
Many intelligent young people leave Indiana because the state is run by morons. Pence is a good example of just such a moron. And it's not just Pence. There are hundreds of thousands just like him.
I don't see that at all. Like Pence or not, the Indy area is growing and healthy. It seems to be attracting people, in spite of the boring terrain, lack of outdoor activity, etc.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:32 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I was just reading about another state that lost out on 3000 white collar, high paying jobs because of it's education reputation. Indiana cannot find teachers to teach in the schools, and many college students are skipping out on majoring in education, much like the state that lost the jobs. This is becoming an issue that people are aware of on the national level given the Washington Post article this week on the subject. Do you think this teacher shortage will negatively impact economic growth in the state?

On top of the RFRA law, I see this as a further detriment to economic growth in the state. (And I'm not talking about minimum wage, call-center type jobs. I am thinking about white collar, high paying, professional jobs that will keep bright young people in the state.)

The RFRA in Indiana was amended, it actually protects gays and lesbians, this is no longer a deterrent or issue for the state, and if it is, people are unaware of the amendment to that law.

Old 09-27-2015, 08:33 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,972,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't see that at all. Like Pence or not, the Indy area is growing and healthy. It seems to be attracting people, in spite of the boring terrain, lack of outdoor activity, etc.
Indianapolis grows in spite of being in Indiana.

Old 10-05-2015, 05:34 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejackalope View Post
No one seems to be addressing the union busting Indiana has been doing... Has it negatively affected teachers yet?
Why yes, I think it does.....

Panel links teacher shortage to 2 state laws | Local schools | www.journalgazette.net

Old 10-07-2015, 10:39 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,470,414 times
Is the problem that teachers are choosing other states over Indiana or is it a nationwide problem due to job stigma or demographic challenges (fewer workers due to past lower fertility rate)?

People I've known who teach have a hard job. They get paid 1/3 of what the city chief tree trimming supervisor makes but in many poor schools have to teach, be a security guard, counselor for abused kids, and then be blamed for poor test scores when often they couldn't have done more. There are bad teachers (I had many) but most are under paid and under appreciated. Teachers are bearing the brunt of the broken home / unwanted child crisis in America.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:45 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
The RFRA in Indiana was amended, it actually protects gays and lesbians, this is no longer a deterrent or issue for the state, and if it is, people are unaware of the amendment to that law.
I'm well aware of the amendment, but the damage was done. It remains in the minds of people throughout the country despite the million dollars or so the state had to spend to try to undo the damage to the reputation of the state. Recently I was in another state for business. My new clients were very aware of the controversy and asked me about it.

That the original law passed at all speaks volumes to young adults about the "attitudes" to be found in this state.

Old 10-07-2015, 11:46 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
Great post, Veganwriter. Post # 20 in this thread, you confirmed some things that I have thought for a long time. This country is being turned over to the control of the corporations. Even Mitt Romney said that "corporations are people, too".

Thanks for your post. Made for some very interesting and worthwhile reading. If it's ok with you, I am going to copy and email it to some friends and family.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 AM

1,248 posts, read 1,383,311 times
If you really care OP. In my area they have a teaching program, where the school pays off the college tuition to teach certain classes. So if you meant to say "Certified teachers" the bigger issue is what will they do while they are in Indiana. A man needs women. Women needs places to go and safety. Everybody needs variety and good food. I would invest in variety and increase the quality of life in the area and make agreements that locks teachers and employees to stick around for twenty or so years, otherwise the deal is off. Other states have such deals.

Then you have to worry about Manhattanization as well. Maybe Indiana could be a hub for a neglected immigrant group to fill schools. There are tons of people who needs a decent community to raise there children. Families is the biggest business.

Maybe you could make Indiana have lightspeed travel tubes. Imagine working in one place and then going back to your giant Quaker sized home. Those are some ideas.

Here is a good idea. People wants private internet that is dirt cheap. Another county/city gave free cable to the entire population if they could rename the town. Why not offer a similar deal. Indiana it is like going back to 1995 internet, with year 3000 technology. Indiana you do not have to worry about the Russian secret police knocking down your door for what you do by yourself. Your not breaking and entering, your just sitting on your behind.

Why not liberate Indiana and make internet private and free for local residence???? Buy a house, build a house get free and private internet. Give free internet to everybody in Indiana and claim that it is 100% private assured. Like gambling legalization issues. In my area they are trying to legalize gambling and build an pugly sewage tower for the facility.

Then about prisons. Maybe Indiana could be the first prison less state. Everybody just wear bands around there limbs with radio that everybody could see. Or Indiana could just pay another state to take care of there prisoners. That is loss in jobs but other jobs could be filled.

Indiana the worlds first gas-less driven highways where you only drive your gas/diesel fuel vehicles when you leave town. Only people driving gas are people who do not live there. Electrified roads, solar power everything, Hydro-powered-vehicles.

Again another issue is. Where is your population going and why they will not come back to you????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana