Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 06:50 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,264,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McdonaldIndy View Post
When talking about roads you have to take all roads into consideration. not just interstates.
Interstates only link communities. They don't connect directly from Destination A to Destination B. You have to have side roads, state roads and whatnot.
That's why the study by the US department of Transportation about Indiana's roads is the most valid. It looks at ALL roads. Not just a few cherry picked ones. Having driven on the interstates in Indiana the only real bad ones are I-80/90 and I-94 along with a couple spots on I-65. One pothole doesn't make a bad road (Unless its the German Autobahn)
Having tons of potholes and a rickety road due to years of patching would be considered a bad road. Plus as mentioned Michigans roads make Indiana's look gold plated.
According to the American Society of Civil Engineers, which is where US DOT got it's data, that 17% of poor roads is major roads in Indiana. It doesn't include side streets.

Indiana Infrastructure | 2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:48 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,604,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
My job takes me to all parts of Indiana and parts of Illinois. For friends and family, I often find myself driving through parts of Illinois, Wisconsin, Missouri and Ohio. I don't feel like taking the time to study the criteria used. Much of my driving is done on interstates. Indiana has some pretty brutal interstates. None of the states I mentioned are great, although Missouri's freeways are pretty decent. The tollways around Chicago are now in good shape, although Chicago's city streets are horrid. State roads in Indiana are better. Indy streets are beyond terrible. Too many people have the attitude "At least we're not Michigan." I think we should set a higher standard. Drive Highway 401 in Ontario and ask yourself why we can't have freeways that quality in the Midwest.

FWIW - Here's what one study has to say about Indiana roads: Reason Foundation - 21st Annual Highway Report's State-by-State Results
I was actually just about to post that the 400 Series Highways in Ontario are perfect examples of properly built roads in cold weather places. With that said, I don't know that I have ever seen highways built that well in the United States. I am making a fairly educated guess that government funding of infrastructure is significantly higher in Canada (and most of the Western World for that matter). I've driven the entire length of Highway 401 round trip and I swear there were less than 10 potholes I encountered, minus a few in some construction zones. There are at least that many potholes in the short distance between Indianapolis and Anderson on I-69. And actually, the investment in the 400 Highways may mostly come from the Province of Ontario. The highways in and around Montreal, Quebec seemed to be in the same condition as the ones in Indiana.

Old 03-03-2016, 06:10 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,868,329 times
Default Ontario speed limit 100kph and limited stops

401 and 402 are well built but speed limit is only 100kph (62mph) and the exits are often 2-5 miles off the road. Except for the quick stops, which generally offer Tim hortons and other limited fast food (similar to oasis here in Chicago) there is nothing immediately available without driving a few miles off the exit.

I was able to drive 120kph without issue but this kind of slow compared to my usual 85mph that I drive on rural US highways (except WI where I was once ticketed for going 79 in a 65).

Old 03-03-2016, 08:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humboldt1 View Post
401 and 402 are well built but speed limit is only 100kph (62mph) and the exits are often 2-5 miles off the road. Except for the quick stops, which generally offer Tim hortons and other limited fast food (similar to oasis here in Chicago) there is nothing immediately available without driving a few miles off the exit.

I was able to drive 120kph without issue but this kind of slow compared to my usual 85mph that I drive on rural US highways (except WI where I was once ticketed for going 79 in a 65).
You find plentiful options right off the 401 when you're in populated areas. The ONRoute locations are very nice but a bit spaced out. Certainly you run into more populated areas once you get to London and head east. Yes, the speed limit is lower and the OPP doesn't play, but the road could easily accommodate higher speeds.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:03 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
I drove the 401 to Toronto a few years ago. I don't recall a single pothole. Smooth driving all the way.

For anyone to suggest there are only potholes in a few places on 65 is ridiculous. There have been times I've been on 65 headed to Chicago and thought I'd need new shocks when I returned.

Old 03-03-2016, 09:33 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
When talking about roads you have to take all roads into consideration. not just interstates.
Interstates only link communities. They don't connect directly from Destination A to Destination B. You have to have side roads, state roads and whatnot.
That's why the study by the US department of Transportation about Indiana's roads is the most valid. It looks at ALL roads. Not just a few cherry picked ones. Having driven on the interstates in Indiana the only real bad ones are I-80/90 and I-94 along with a couple spots on I-65. One pothole doesn't make a bad road (Unless its the German Autobahn)
Having tons of potholes and a rickety road due to years of patching would be considered a bad road. Plus as mentioned Michigans roads make Indiana's look gold plated.
It's not one pothole - once you get south of Indy, much if I-65 southbound in the right lane has been patched in segments, creating raised sections of road that lower, raise again, etc. It's bumpy as hell. There are mammoth holes on city streets in Indy. It's a mess over lots of the state.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Have they updated the mile markers on I-69 NE of Indy to match up with the ones south of Bloomington?

Old 03-08-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Have they updated the mile markers on I-69 NE of Indy to match up with the ones south of Bloomington?
They did that a few years ago.

Old 03-08-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Plus the Germans design and take better care of their infrastructure than Americans.
Precisely. So, instead of comparing Indiana to Michigan, let's raise our standard and set the bar as the "Crossroads of America."

Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,585,426 times
Indiana interstates are not greatest, mediocre at best, no way in hell they are better than Michigan interstates. Quality is just not there, even if they repave road surface, it goes to hell warp speed, but the rest of the states went the same low quality way, endless roadwork or it just falls appart in a year or less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana