Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 02:01 AM

6 posts, read 13,712 times

Advertisements

First off Im from Michigan, and moved to Omaha NE, and later met someone from Iowa, Now we are in Iowa and want to relocate closer to Michigan without being in the state. We chose Indiana for its affordable housing. We first looked into Middlebury, than Elkhart than Goshen with no luck.

We than took a break and I discovered some good sounding things about Fort Wayne, we than took a trip only to find pure garbage..Very disappointing. Now we are looking at Muncie because we can afford homes there, however we are still unsure of the city due to reading up on the cities data and the posts here on the forum.

We are just starting out our life together, we dont want to live in crime, we really would just like to find a city that has work and affordable housing. We are tired of searching lol, Our realitor in Fort Wayne found us some semi decent homes but smack in the midst of crime, no thanks. So basically what we are looking for is again the above and someplace relatively close to Michigan , more so on the north east side of Indiana. If anyone can help , we would appreciate it. We would like to move soon.

Oh and I do not want to live in Ohio for various reasons, other wise I would be looking there instead same as Michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2016, 07:38 AM

4,967 posts, read 6,232,038 times
Home budget? Type of job you're looking for? Those would both be important factors. What exactly did you find in Fort Wayne that was pure garbage? Is your home budget really low or something? Most of these aren't really expensive cities to live in.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Hi there, home budget is around 60k, I'm a freelance writer and also starting up my own business. He is in production work but can do anything if needed. The homes in fort Wayne were all in horrible neighborhoods, the ones that weren't needed excessive work to them. It just seems we are having bad luck in every city so far. So not sure where to look now...

Old 04-05-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacsky View Post
Hi there, home budget is around 60k, I'm a freelance writer and also starting up my own business. He is in production work but can do anything if needed. The homes in fort Wayne were all in horrible neighborhoods, the ones that weren't needed excessive work to them. It just seems we are having bad luck in every city so far. So not sure where to look now...
$60k is going to be tough anywhere. What about renting? Either apartment or home? You could certainly find a place to rent in a decent area that I think you could afford. But any home to buy for that price in a decent area is likely to be a foreclosure or auction house which probably needs a lot work.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:47 PM

We are willing to put work into a home if its in a good area. I mean the goal is basically to build some kind of equity and move on eventually after a bit. However these areas we have found semi decent homes in decrease in value just for their location which isn't good.

I think finding a fixer upper is ideal in a nice place where the homes actually increase in value. I realize 60k isn't much but I find it funny because there are less jobs there. Like I said we wanted to move to Indy because the housing is affordable which is true for taxes alone , Indy is way better than Michigan and Iowa.

Iowa has good jobs, lots of them but its of course more expensive here and the taxes are ridiculous considering theres really not many main attractions like lakes and nice camp grounds. We are outdoors folk and Iowa weather is rougher as well, In the summer it gets way too hot with 0 winds. The winter gets bitter cold with ridiculous winds, its just not ideal, I'm used to be surrounded by lakes and decent summers and winters, where the climates are controlled by the great lakes.
Anyways, again if you can point us to some cities I would appreciate it, also we are open to pretty much anything except cities high in crime such as fort wayne. My business is online so I dont have to worry about finding work, however my man does, but he is willing to commute a ways , so we are pretty flexible, and we don't have kids either.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:54 PM

I realize crime is everywhere, but some cities are better than others and its sad that we did find some homes with awesome potential in fort wayne but as soon as you look on spotcrime, your surrounded by the worst crimes,its a shame.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:17 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,238,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilacsky View Post
I think finding a fixer upper is ideal in a nice place where the homes actually increase in value. I realize 60k isn't much but I find it funny because there are less jobs there. Like I said we wanted to move to Indy because the housing is affordable which is true for taxes alone , Indy is way better than Michigan and Iowa.

Anyways, again if you can point us to some cities I would appreciate it, also we are open to pretty much anything except cities high in crime such as fort wayne.
Do you want to move to Indiana or "Indy." "Indy" is typically shorthand for Indianapolis, not the entire state.

If you think Fort Wayne is a high crime city, you will have a problem finding anyplace that isn't.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:27 AM

Well, if you want to stay near Fort Wayne, I found homes on Zillow in your price range in Huntington to the southwest, Bluffton to the south, and Garrett and Auburn to the north. I also found a few in Plymouth south of South Bend on US 30. And several in Marion and Gas City between Fort Wayne and Indy. I wouldn't consider any of those cities to be high crime cities. I also found some manufactured homes on the northwest side of Fort Wayne in your price range. That isn't a high crime area.

Old 04-08-2016, 10:14 AM

625 posts, read 1,802,462 times
If you want to live close to Michigan, without living in Michigan, your best chance to look is honestly going to be South Bend/Mishawaka/Elkhart/Goshen. Middlebury is middle-upper class so you won't find anything there. Same with Bristol.

Honestly, look in Elkhart on the east side. Jackson Blvd is a great place to search. Beautiful neighborhoods with affordable housing. Crime isn't nearly as prevalent there.

Goshen is a buyer's market so it will be hard to find homes there. I've been searching in Goshen for a couple of months and they can't build houses fast enough. It is certainly busting at the seams in terms of development.

Elkhart County's economy is one of the best in Indiana. Elkhart County has been growing rapidly ever since the early 1900s. It has never recorded a population loss so there is plenty of inventory. But people keep moving there because there are jobs available. What I'm trying to say is houses sell FAST in this area because there is a lot of demand.

Personal message me if you want more information on the area.

Old 04-08-2016, 08:37 PM

I appreciate the help. Thank you.

We really don't have a desire to live in Indianapolis. Also we don't care if we stay near fort Wayne or not. We have looked in Huntington and Auborn, how is the work force in those towns? Haven't looked into the other towns but we might check them out.

As far as Elkhart goes, we did consider living there in the beginning but we found that my boyfriend couldn't transfer his job to Middlebury, so we decided we could look elsewhere than. Now its just become a HUGE search and basically we wasted money and time looking in Fort Wayne. We loved Middlebury, very relaxed town. We may look into Elkhart again, as long as there are jobs and the area is decent. Which side of the city is best?

We have been looking in the Angola area, even though its more expensive, its beautiful with all those lakes and MI very close as well.

The search continues! I'll look into the cities you guys listed. Thank you again for the help, it really is hard buying out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana