U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 801 times

Advertisements

Hi.
Family moving to Indiana within the next month due to work reason. Have middle school aged kids.
Looking at Goshen Dunlap area. Please tell me any information from people that live there.....
Which area is better
Which area is safer, lower crime rate
Which areas to not live in or stay away from or avoid
Which middle school is better Goshen Middle school or Concord Junior High
Where would one need to live so kids are able to use school bus transport for either school
(Unable to drive a car due to medical reason)
Thank you inadvance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 07:49 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,255,143 times
Dunlap isn't an incorporated town so it's hard to get much in the way of statistics for it. I think crime gets a little worse as you head into the Elkhart area, especially north of Concord Mall. I went to Goshen Middle School, though it had first opened then. I'm sure it's changed in the years since but it was a good school. Concord schools are good as well. I honestly have no idea if one is better than the other. As for bus routes, you'd probably have to contact the individual school districts.

There's a nice, big neighborhood behind Meijer that I would recommend. I'm not sure how you get around to do day to day activities being unable to drive, but this neighborhood would put you within walking distance of Miejer, Target, Walgreens, to a lesser extent Wal-Mart. So at least you could get some groceries maybe, though there are no sidewalks in this area. Also Pickwick Manor off Wilden Ave or Fireside Estates off Old CR 17. All of those would go to Concord and you'd be very close to all the shopping along US 33. Pickwick Manor may be the worst due to the close proximity to the railroad tracks. And those tracks have very heavy train traffic.

Can I ask how you will get around to do things like get groceries? Do you need to be in close proximity to walk to certain places? There is the Interurban Trolley system in Elkhart with one line that runs from Elkhart across Goshen. It stops every 30 minutes Monday through Saturday at Meijer and makes several stops in Goshen and can be taken into Elkhart to the Transfer Center to catch one of the other 4 lines through Elkhart.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:52 AM

619 posts, read 1,443,742 times
Goshen is a great, historic town with a lot of growth within the last couple of decades. It is a very walkable city and has bike paths and great sidewalks. Goshen Community Schools is a great school district with a very diverse population. Goshen has a significant Latino population, but it's not what you'd think. They enrich the culture here and many own several businesses that contribute to the local economy. Goshen's housing market is very hot right now with houses selling within a couple days of being on the market, as long as it's reasonably priced. If you like living in town and having the historic charm to the city, Goshen would be my choice.

Dunlap is unincorporated, like the PP said. Therefore, it is operated and maintained by the county. Less sidewalks, more suburban feel, but mostly older suburban. There is some new housing development by Concord High School. Concord is becoming a very large school district and is the second fastest growing in Elkhart County, behind Middlebury. If you don't want to live in the city, than Dunlap would be my choice. Again, Dunlap is rather small, about 6,500; compared to Goshen, at 33,000.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Price range of house?

Old 11-28-2016, 06:45 PM

58 posts, read 98,493 times
Default Goshen better choice

I live on the West side of Goshen, IN. We moved here from Middlebury, which is the best place to live, but you have to drive a distance to get everything you need. There is a new Walmart supercenter being built on the west side of Goshen near Sams Club. Elkhart has crime issues to deal with. That is from what I have seen since we moved here to the city. I would suggest Goshen, but that is my opinion.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:51 PM

58 posts, read 98,493 times
Default Goshen best choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALIMOVETOINDIANA View Post
Hi.
Family moving to Indiana within the next month due to work reason. Have middle school aged kids.
Looking at Goshen Dunlap area. Please tell me any information from people that live there.....
Which area is better
Which area is safer, lower crime rate
Which areas to not live in or stay away from or avoid
Which middle school is better Goshen Middle school or Concord Junior High
Where would one need to live so kids are able to use school bus transport for either school
(Unable to drive a car due to medical reason)
Thank you inadvance.

Only my opinion but Goshen is best choice. We live on West side of Goshen, off of Greene Rd, and Pike St. Goshen is much safer than Elkhart and some of Dunlap. Good schools, nice parks, low crime. New Walmart supercenter being built near Sams club on West side of Goshen, on us33. Hope that helps.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:27 AM

4 posts, read 3,342 times
i never ever go to Indiana.

Old 12-09-2016, 06:19 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,255,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhdungng001 View Post
i never ever go to Indiana.
Thank you then for taking the time to post in the Indiana forum. This was very insightful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or