Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,735,357 times

Advertisements

So, just wanted to get some opinions on this. My daughter is in 3rd grade. Her school just had the big fundraiser for the year selling misc items, cookies, cookie dough, wrapping paper, etc. All the prizes were listed on the flier with the various sales level to receive that prize. One of the prizes was to sell 12 items and be able to attend an inflatable party. Now I took that as whoever hit that level would be able to go to one of those bouncy houses for say an hour of two of fun. My daughter wanted that prize SO bad and so we actually bought more items so she could attend.

I received an email blast from the principal stating the attached list of names were the children who would attend the inflatable party. No other information given so I emailed her back and asked her where and when it was. Her simple response.....During school.

Ugh ok, so I guess it's not at a bounce house then. No big deal, I guess. However, when would it take place, at recess, gym class? So my daughter came home today (the day of the inflatable party) and I asked her if she had fun? She did. I then asked her if the party was during recess and she said "No, during math"! What? During math? Seriously? She said all the 3rd graders who won the party were told to leave math class and go to the gym where they had 3 inflatables set up. The rest of the kids who did not win that fundraiser prize stayed in class and did math. This made me furious for several reasons. First, my child struggles with math and receives extra help at school for it so I'm not happy about her missing class. Second, how can they include some kids and not others? I think this bothers me most of all! I feel like this should have taken place after school or off premise.

My first reaction was to email or call the principal and say WTF were you people thinking? I would like some feedback. Am I over reacting or am I right that this was ridiculous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 10:56 AM

435 posts, read 430,952 times
I would be annoyed too. However, just stay calm and remember it was only one class and your daughter will be just fine especially b/c she has a good parent like you who is staying on top of her studies!

Nothing wrong with maybe writing a letter to just say that you were disappointed that your daughter missed class to attend the party as the message the school is actually sending is that missing an academic class is also a reward. I would be shocked if they can't see the irony in that.

With regard to some kids getting to go and others not, well, my thought is "that's life" and the whole point of having prizes. I think kids get that and it shows them that hard work can get them what they want. But that is just my opinion and I also can see your point.

Old 10-15-2016, 05:53 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,077,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
My first reaction was to email or call the principal and say WTF were you people thinking? I would like some feedback. Am I over reacting or am I right that this was ridiculous?
It is completely ridiculous, but par for the course anymore in the United States of Greed. Not having kids, I don't have to deal with this nonsense, but I do have younger relatives and I sometimes do buy their fundraising stuff. My whole issue with this is that these schools are awash in money for the most part. Look at the athletic facilities, it is too much money that could be spent in other areas. Instead, the schools cry poverty when it comes to basic supplies and employee benefits, so today they push these fundraisers fairly hard from what I've heard from some parents. What happened to your daughter pretty much shows that education is no longer the main focus of that school system. If it is like others around here, the hierarchy of importance is: Taj Mahal level facilities, athletics, preservation of benefits for admin, preservation of benefits for teachers, trying to reduce support staff benefits or positions to have more money for the other issues I just noted, education. These schools will play the "for the education of the children!" card when they want a referendum to pass, yet they turn around and pull stuff like this which shows that some districts definitely don't place the primary focus on educating kids.

Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
I don't understand this fundraising thing either. My nephew has at least two fundraising drives each year for his school. Most schools operate the same way. He offers an online catalog of whatever products for customers to choose from, they buy them, and the school gets money. Money for what? No one seems to have the answer. And the products are quite expensive, especially when one adds in the cost of shipping. Aren't the property taxes we pay supposed to cover it?

And in Texas, companies are legally allowed to buy ad space and advertise their products on school grounds! Texas schools are at the bottom in quality of the 50 states, yet they are still taking in boatloads of money. It seems wrong to pressure children to become salespeople for them on top of all the money they are already getting from various sources.

Old 10-17-2016, 09:09 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
I think you're overreacting. My daughter won a reading contest in grade school. The prize was a limo ride and lunch with the principal during, heaven forbid, the school day.

I'm sure the teacher used the day for review of math rather than teaching new concepts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana