Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 PM

12 posts, read 31,131 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Terre Haute from MD in June or July, and I have two questions regarding said relocation.

I am a recent graduate with a degree in Chemistry. It seems that Terre Haute doesn't have a plethora of job openings for budding chemists, so it looks like I'll have to commute somewhere else to take a job in my field. Is the commute from TH to Indy doable? I'm flexible and looking for something semi-temporary until I can get my engineering certification, so this would probably only be for a year, maybe two.

My second question is in regards to Terre Haute neighborhoods. Given that my girlfriend and I are from Baltimore, we are no strangers to crime. However, we don't want to find an apt. at a great price only to finds it's in a neighborhood where your car gets broken into every other week. We don't need to live in the nicer areas, but a list of the "stay away froms" would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to those who help out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Why Terre Haute??? The commute to Indy with gas prices and all, why not move to Indy?

Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 PM

My girlfriend accepted a position at ISU so we have to move to Terre Haute. I am a malleable person so I don't mind driving, but not living in Terre Haute isn't really an option.

I'm living at 7th and Putnam over the summer, can I get an idea of how that is as a neighborhood?

Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 AM

Sorry, TH isn't my strong suite, but there have been plenty of threads started about Terre Haute on this message board. You could try Eli Lilly, but I heard that they recently froze hiring, same with Roche Diagnostics in Fishers ... could there be any opportunities within ISU or Rose Hulman for you?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Guess you've already hit the monster.com, careerbuilder.com, and other job opening sites, narrowing selection to Terre Haute? Have ya also tried, as domergirl mentioned, the universities/schools in the area? Also, if you are a member of any professional chem organizations, might use them as contacts/resources. And btw, the drive to Indy is not bad, but there are occasions of wrecks on I-70; and the cost, both fuel and time, will wear on ya. Good luck!

Old 05-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Yeah, waiting to hear back from a few places, we'll see what happens.

Can someone weigh in on the area right around ISU? Say the 7th and Putnam area? It looks like I'll be living there this summer.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:17 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
just to let you know your commute to indy should be about 110km(70mph) at about 1.5 hours! on weekends as for week days i would say 2 hours? if you like a scenic ride to work i would highly suggest US 40 it paralles I-70 a few miles to the north all the way to indy with siginificantly less traffic on it so about 1.5 hours no matter what day and just about the same distance 70 miles

Old 05-18-2008, 05:18 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
Yea, US 40 is a good scenic route, but w/ the towns a person has to glide through, stop lights/signs, and lack of places to pass, I would imagine that trip would be more than that. Have escaped onto US 40 quite a few times, when I-70 was buggered up [construction, wreck, etc.], and it is slower going. Still, would recommend finding employment closer to your residence!

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,856 times
7th and Putnam isn't ideal. 7th street is a very very busy road and lots of college students all around, which means lots of noise, drunkenness and immaturity. I imagine that with the coming up construction on 3rd st that 7th st will be busier than ever and I would not want to live there. I don't think the crime is bad or anything, just not ideal for adults or people wanting silence. I would recommend anywhere East, like 19th st and higher street numbers. There are good neighborhoods, lots of older people, and less noise. Also, travelling to Indy daily would mean you would get on I-70 and that is about to go under construction in town. I would recommend getting on I-70 at the Riley exit and heading out. Riley exit is East of town. Anyway, East would be better. There are plenty of houses and apartments to rent there. Apartment complexes out there too. Everything around ISU is loaded with college students and loud. If anything, don't go North of Wabash. Stay South of Wabash and stay away from 11th st through 18th st. Some bad areas there. 4th through 7th street is college town, lots of parties and loud kids.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj39 View Post
7th and Putnam isn't ideal. 7th street is a very very busy road and lots of college students all around, which means lots of noise, drunkenness and immaturity. I imagine that with the coming up construction on 3rd st that 7th st will be busier than ever and I would not want to live there. I don't think the crime is bad or anything, just not ideal for adults or people wanting silence. I would recommend anywhere East, like 19th st and higher street numbers. There are good neighborhoods, lots of older people, and less noise. Also, travelling to Indy daily would mean you would get on I-70 and that is about to go under construction in town. I would recommend getting on I-70 at the Riley exit and heading out. Riley exit is East of town. Anyway, East would be better. There are plenty of houses and apartments to rent there. Apartment complexes out there too. Everything around ISU is loaded with college students and loud. If anything, don't go North of Wabash. Stay South of Wabash and stay away from 11th st through 18th st. Some bad areas there. 4th through 7th street is college town, lots of parties and loud kids.
Or maybe you would want to consider something in between TH and Indy to alleviate your commute???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana