U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 08:09 PM

14,933 posts, read 16,527,617 times

Advertisements

Indiana is unlikely to legalize marijuana anytime soon to the relief of the state's heroin dealers and meth cookers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2016, 05:20 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,280,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You can't even buy alcohol on Sunday in Indiana. The only state that doesn't allow Sunday alcohol purchases.
Unless it's changed, Arkansas doesn't either. In Oklahoma you can only buy watered down 3.2% near beer on Sundays.

Unless you mean no liquor by the drink on Sunday either. If so, I wasn't aware there was any state that still banned that.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:38 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
You can't even buy alcohol on Sunday in Indiana. The only state that doesn't allow Sunday alcohol purchases.

That's correct, you can not buy alcohol/liquor on Sundays in Indiana! I just moved to NW Indiana from Illinois 6 months ago. OP where do you live now? COL is very good here. No tax on food, low property taxes! We wish we made the move sooner!

Old 11-25-2016, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 5,337 times
I'm in the Bay Area and moved here a few years ago. The COL is ridiculous and there's a different lifestyle out here not the best for a family, more suited for adults. Heroin meth and other crap are here too. Child abductions.

I'm not going to debate the topic of legalization of marijuana or the topic of alcohol. Just want to see if there's a place out there that won't legalize it in the next 20 years.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:17 PM

688 posts, read 349,583 times
The US is in a sea change on the war on drugs. Even Indiana significantly reduced sentences for drug dealing a few years ago. Just by seeing the way the wind is blowing, it looks unlikely that any state will still prohibit marijuana in 20 years. Again, I don't use drugs and don't have a stake here--it's just an observation.

I still think Utah might be what you're looking for, though, especially if you want to stay out west. Just be aware of reports that Utah has a significant prescription drug problem.

Old 11-26-2016, 09:45 AM

1,416 posts, read 2,169,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyfigsugar View Post
I'm not going to debate the topic of legalization of marijuana or the topic of alcohol. Just want to see if there's a place out there that won't legalize it in the next 20 years.
Marijuana is likely the least of a parent's issues. Alcohol and other hard drugs usually cause more issues than marijuana ever will. I think in the past it was made illegal due to the government wanting to control people. There also seemed to be a belief that entering another state from sober was morally wrong. Governments tried to ban most mind altering substances, but many eventually gave up on alcohol and it became legal in most places, with restrictions.

Also, governments are broke and working to cut costs as best they can. We do have a hard drug problem and those secondary problems that come with that. Marijuana enforcement just takes too much money to deal with and it really does nothing, people still get it, they still smoke it. I think most states will have small amounts of marijuana legal within ten years. Indiana might take a while, but it wouldn't surprise me if they reduced the penalty of say possession of two or three joints to a that of an infraction (like running a stop sign) and not a misdemeanor. Eventually every state will allow some sort of possession.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:02 AM

161 posts, read 103,257 times
Yeah, Indiana won't legalize anytime soon, but I can tell you it makes no difference. Kids, if they want it, will buy pot EASILY whether it's illegal or not. My state has no decriminalization or recreational use allowed (but we do have medical) and now we share 2 borders with states that have legalized completely. I can tell you that people I knew growing up used pot regularly and it didn't matter that it was illegal. The point is that moving to a state where it's illegal, simply because it's now legal in your state, is iladvised and irrational.

Old 11-26-2016, 03:59 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon3154 View Post
Yeah, Indiana won't legalize anytime soon, but I can tell you it makes no difference. Kids, if they want it, will buy pot EASILY whether it's illegal or not. My state has no decriminalization or recreational use allowed (but we do have medical) and now we share 2 borders with states that have legalized completely. I can tell you that people I knew growing up used pot regularly and it didn't matter that it was illegal. The point is that moving to a state where it's illegal, simply because it's now legal in your state, is iladvised and irrational.
Yes, and New Hampshire is such a small state in area that no matter where you are in New Hampshire, it's probably not much more than a 15 to 20 minute drive to the nearest state that sells legalized weed. That would be very convenient. As long as the New Hampshire State Police aren't waiting at the state line with an excuse to stop and search people's vehicles as they return to New Hampshire.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:55 PM

161 posts, read 103,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yes, and New Hampshire is such a small state in area that no matter where you are in New Hampshire, it's probably not much more than a 15 to 20 minute drive to the nearest state that sells legalized weed. That would be very convenient. As long as the New Hampshire State Police aren't waiting at the state line with an excuse to stop and search people's vehicles as they return to New Hampshire.
15-20 min isn't accurate for the many people living in the interior areas. It's not quite that small. For half of the state, Maine or Massachusetts would be an hour or under drive. The state police will no doubt be willing to find any excuse to pull over a young person with a junky car even though that's just an outdated stereotype.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:10 AM

26 posts, read 33,826 times
Just a tongue in cheek reply to the no sale of alcohol on Sunday provision in Indiana. Back in the 60's when I couldn't buy beer between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. in California and wanted another beer, I would go into the all night market, get a six pack of beer (cost about $3 or $4) and put it on the counter. The young clerk informed me that I couldn't buy it. I would put a 10 dollar bill on the counter and tell the clerk, "Then tell your boss I stole it" and walk out with it. Back then there were no bar codes or video surveillance cameras. The kid would ring up the beer and put the change in his pocket. Case closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or