U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:20 PM

572 posts, read 449,043 times

Advertisements

I figure that a person can buy weed in any state if they look for it. The tax revenue being missed by not making it legal will bring legalization around. Talking to your kids is the answer. Pot isn't the boogie man it is made out to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 03:59 PM

643 posts, read 446,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyfigsugar View Post
Hello,
My state passed the marijuana prop, so I plan to relocate to a state that will be least likely ever to pass this, is Indiana one of them? Is Indiana a decent place to raise kids?
Thx
Indiana is the state for you. Welcome!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:17 PM

643 posts, read 446,263 times
Although Indiana is far from drug free.

Reid Health: 3 in 10 new mothers test positive for drugs in Richmond | Fox 59
"Of the 684 women tested, 211 tested positive for drugs. More than 50 of those cases were positive for opiates such as heroin."

Old 01-13-2017, 09:10 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
That's correct, you can not buy alcohol/liquor on Sundays in Indiana!
Not true.

You can not CARRY OUT alcohol on Sundays.

Bars/restaurants/sports venues are free to sell alcohol on Sundays.

Old 01-17-2017, 11:33 AM

118 posts, read 85,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
Not true.

You can not CARRY OUT alcohol on Sundays.

Bars/restaurants/sports venues are free to sell alcohol on Sundays.
You can buy from craft brewers to carry out on sunday. Just no liquor store/grocery store sales on Sunday.

One exception was for the Indy area when they hosted the Super Bowl. They were allowed to sell on that Sunday. Obviously catering to the out of towners.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:07 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,029,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra86 View Post
You can buy from craft brewers to carry out on sunday. Just no liquor store/grocery store sales on Sunday.

One exception was for the Indy area when they hosted the Super Bowl. They were allowed to sell on that Sunday. Obviously catering to the out of towners.
Sorry, yes, you are right.

I was responding to the poster who said no sales at all were allowed on Sundays.

This is an important clarification: local breweries and wineries can sell carryout booze on Sundays.

Old 01-24-2017, 10:35 PM

196 posts, read 119,547 times
You have much scarier things to be running from.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:26 AM

13 posts, read 8,466 times
Hi there,

I live in California, and I've been considering Indiana for relocation, too. Housing costs are a big factor for me, but Indiana definitely won a place on my short list due to it being one of the ever-fewer states where pot is illegal. A lot of the posts on this thread have focused on the fact that marijuana is available everywhere even if it happens to be illegal. I can offer a more nuanced perspective though, because I remember what CA was like before legalization (which really happened when it was legalized for medical purposes -- there was never any attempt to prohibit people from using it recreationally after that), and I can compare that to what it is like now.

Before legalization, pot was available pretty much anywhere if you wanted it. Neither I nor my friends used it, but we knew that we had classmates and coworkers who did. I was more of a liberal then, and when people talked about how much money the state could make from taxing marijuana, it sounded like a good idea. After all, it's a victimless crime, right? Boy was I wrong!

What I didn't realize (because I had never done it myself) was that marijuana has the foulest, nastiest smell other than a skunk spray or a fast food grease trap overflow. And unlike those smells, marijuana has acute physiologic effects as well. The smoke is not containable, and so if someone near you is smoking it -- guess what? -- you are essentially smoking it too. It gives me a headache almost immediately, and if I'm around the smoke or even the odor of it long enough (5 minutes is more than long enough) my forehead starts to feel numb. I ride the bus everywhere, and that is terrible because people who have been smoking it all day get on the bus and then I end up having to get off the bus and wait for the next one because the odor makes me feel so sick. One of my coworkers said she went to a chocolate store with her mom the other day, and while they were waiting in line someone came in reeking of pot. The line was really long, so they ended up having to leave without making their purchases because they were both getting headaches. An elderly lady I know told me that she can't even enjoy the evening breeze anymore. She can't leave her window open because her next door neighbors smoke pot almost every night and it wafts in her windows unless they are closed.

Back before legalization, people didn't generally smoke pot out in the open because they knew they could get arrested. People who smoked pot behind closed doors generally tried to hide the fact and not let the smoke come out of their apartments because they didn't want to get arrested or kicked out of their apartments. People who smoked pot generally tried to not to reek of it when they went outdoors because they knew it was illegal. The result of all that was that decent non-drug-using people were not generally exposed to the smoke and odor against their will. If you did have any issues in those days with smelling it, you could always have called the police and the problem would have been taken care of. With legalization, non-drug users have absolutely no recourse. The law is now on the side of the drug users, and you have absolutely no right to enjoy air that is not polluted with their drugs. Up in Oregon, I've read that in a lot of places zoning does not address the issue of pot growing, so people in Bend for instance can end up with a pot grower moving next door and growing the foul stuff. Result? The non-drug user ends up having to move or put up with it. No rights whatsoever.

A lot of people in this thread have also referenced alcohol. Personally, I don't drink, but I don't agree that alcohol is less of an evil, and here's why: if the person in the apartment next door is drinking wine or beer and their window is open, I can't smell it. They get to make their choice, and I get to make mine. Live and let live. Quite frankly, I think most drugs are probably like that (although some might have smells I'm not aware of I guess) -- if someone pops a pill or injects something into themselves, that is probably a really bad decision, but at least it is their decision, and they aren't putting a pill in my mouth or poking me with a needle. With marijuana, their choice is forced on everyone else.

Think of how many times in the day you end up downdraft of someone else's cigarette smoke. Now imagine you were exposed to drugs that many times a day. Now imagine that your kids are with you some of those times breathing the same drugs. You can't tell me that that is an ideal world.

I hope some states like Indiana and Idaho and Oklahoma keep pot illegal. It is a serious threat to our quality of life, and decent Americans ought to have some places where their rights are respected.

Old 02-08-2017, 12:44 PM

1,416 posts, read 2,170,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Export View Post
The law is now on the side of the drug users, and you have absolutely no right to enjoy air that is not polluted with their drugs. Up in Oregon, I've read that in a lot of places zoning does not address the issue of pot growing, so people in Bend for instance can end up with a pot grower moving next door and growing the foul stuff. Result? The non-drug user ends up having to move or put up with it. No rights whatsoever.

Think of how many times in the day you end up downdraft of someone else's cigarette smoke. Now imagine you were exposed to drugs that many times a day. Now imagine that your kids are with you some of those times breathing the same drugs. You can't tell me that that is an ideal world.

I hope some states like Indiana and Idaho and Oklahoma keep pot illegal. It is a serious threat to our quality of life, and decent Americans ought to have some places where their rights are respected.
You bring up some good points. People today freak out if they have to walk by a smoker and suck in a fraction of the person's smoke as it is exhaled. We went so far as to ban people from smoking a certain distance from entry/exit points. I never got to smoking marijuana when I was younger, but I was around it a few times. It didn't really do much for me, but there definitely is an odor and I'm sure it can be weak or strong depending on many factors. I should be heading out to visit CA in the coming years, actually some of the major metro areas so I guess I'll get a first hand account of just how bad it is or isn't (at least to me).

I guess our rights to clean air aren't that important anymore. Our rights end at the other person's blunt. Just another reason to avoid public spaces. Maybe if half the country decides to opt out of participating in the retail economy companies will do something to address it. Of course the die-hard pro-marijuana types will be screaming at the top of their lungs, "YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST SICK PEOPLE!" Of course you light up a tobacco stick and the same people will scream "YOU'RE DISCRIMINATING AGAINST MY RIGHT TO BREATH CLEAN AIR!"

Old 02-08-2017, 03:13 PM

2,571 posts, read 1,734,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacto Export View Post
Hi there,

I live in California, and I've been considering Indiana for relocation, too. Housing costs are a big factor for me, but Indiana definitely won a place on my short list due to it being one of the ever-fewer states where pot is illegal. A lot of the posts on this thread have focused on the fact that marijuana is available everywhere even if it happens to be illegal. I can offer a more nuanced perspective though, because I remember what CA was like before legalization (which really happened when it was legalized for medical purposes -- there was never any attempt to prohibit people from using it recreationally after that), and I can compare that to what it is like now.

Before legalization, pot was available pretty much anywhere if you wanted it. Neither I nor my friends used it, but we knew that we had classmates and coworkers who did. I was more of a liberal then, and when people talked about how much money the state could make from taxing marijuana, it sounded like a good idea. After all, it's a victimless crime, right? Boy was I wrong!

What I didn't realize (because I had never done it myself) was that marijuana has the foulest, nastiest smell other than a skunk spray or a fast food grease trap overflow. And unlike those smells, marijuana has acute physiologic effects as well. The smoke is not containable, and so if someone near you is smoking it -- guess what? -- you are essentially smoking it too. It gives me a headache almost immediately, and if I'm around the smoke or even the odor of it long enough (5 minutes is more than long enough) my forehead starts to feel numb. I ride the bus everywhere, and that is terrible because people who have been smoking it all day get on the bus and then I end up having to get off the bus and wait for the next one because the odor makes me feel so sick. One of my coworkers said she went to a chocolate store with her mom the other day, and while they were waiting in line someone came in reeking of pot. The line was really long, so they ended up having to leave without making their purchases because they were both getting headaches. An elderly lady I know told me that she can't even enjoy the evening breeze anymore. She can't leave her window open because her next door neighbors smoke pot almost every night and it wafts in her windows unless they are closed.

Back before legalization, people didn't generally smoke pot out in the open because they knew they could get arrested. People who smoked pot behind closed doors generally tried to hide the fact and not let the smoke come out of their apartments because they didn't want to get arrested or kicked out of their apartments. People who smoked pot generally tried to not to reek of it when they went outdoors because they knew it was illegal. The result of all that was that decent non-drug-using people were not generally exposed to the smoke and odor against their will. If you did have any issues in those days with smelling it, you could always have called the police and the problem would have been taken care of. With legalization, non-drug users have absolutely no recourse. The law is now on the side of the drug users, and you have absolutely no right to enjoy air that is not polluted with their drugs. Up in Oregon, I've read that in a lot of places zoning does not address the issue of pot growing, so people in Bend for instance can end up with a pot grower moving next door and growing the foul stuff. Result? The non-drug user ends up having to move or put up with it. No rights whatsoever.

A lot of people in this thread have also referenced alcohol. Personally, I don't drink, but I don't agree that alcohol is less of an evil, and here's why: if the person in the apartment next door is drinking wine or beer and their window is open, I can't smell it. They get to make their choice, and I get to make mine. Live and let live. Quite frankly, I think most drugs are probably like that (although some might have smells I'm not aware of I guess) -- if someone pops a pill or injects something into themselves, that is probably a really bad decision, but at least it is their decision, and they aren't putting a pill in my mouth or poking me with a needle. With marijuana, their choice is forced on everyone else.

I'll respond to your post by paragraph number.beginning with number 3 that starts "what I didn't realize..."

Paragraph 3 - I imagine if weed is legalized, you won't be allowed to smoke it in same places that don't allow regular cigarette smoking now. There will be places like coffee shops and bars where people can go and socialize and smoke weed. Smoking outdoors, the smoke and the odor vanishes into the air. Once weed is legalized, you probably won't be able to stop anybody from smoking outdoors. It's one of those things you'll just have to accept. Since you have to ride the bus and you can smell the odor of the weed oozing from your fellow passengers is another thing you'll have to deal with. Since you have no control over the smell of your fellow passengers, and you have to ride the bus, there's things you can do. One thing you can do is get a bottle of smoke eliminator air spray called "Zero Smoke" and when your on the bus and you can smell weed, spray it on yourself on your face and your clothing. It will take the smell of the weed right out of the air around you. The smell of the spray will imediately disapoear and you won't smell like weed when you get off the bus. I carry the stuff around with me. You can get it in a head shop for less than 5$ and you can get it on Amazon. That will probably stop your headaches on the bus. But if it doesn't, carry a bottle of Bayer Back and Body Ache aspirins with you. That's Buyer's most strongest aspirins.

Paragraph 4 - Sometimes odors will permeate the air that you don't like. When I lived in Muncie, there was slaughter house called Marhoefer's. They killed hogs and made hams and canned hams and bacon and sausage and hot dogs and chitlins and cracklings and salt pork and ham hocks and all kinds of good food out of those hogs. We lived about a mile from Marhoeffers. When Marhoeffers was booming and killing lots of hogs, there were lots of days that within about a 2 mile radius of Marhoeffers where the air was thick with the smell of manure. There wasn't anything we could do about it. You know what we did? - we dealt with it and went on about our lives. Even at night, I'd open my bedroom window and if the wind was blowing in the right direction, the smell of manure would come in my bedroom. The smell of legalized marijuana in the air, might be something you will just have to deal with. You can always inhale the odor and hold it in you as long as you can and then slowly exhale and catch yourself a good contact high and enjoy the beauty of the moment.

Paragraph 5 - Pot doesn't make people violent. Alcohol can make some people get very violent. I've never heard of anybody high on weed get into a fight. Almost everytime I read in the paper about a man who beat the crap out of his wife, alcohol was involved. Alcohol is responsible for destroying so many families and people's lives. Pot is nothing at all like that. People who are high on weed are pretty much satisfied chillin wherever there at. They don't have to go out running here, there and everywhere and saying stupid stuff and acting a fool like a lot of people do when they're drinking and running around.

Paragraph 6 - I would recommend that you smoke some weed so you can kick back and chill and not have to stress over the harmless odor coming from down the street. I mean that sincerely. I'm not being a smart Alec.

Paragraph 7 - Smoking marijuana is not a moral issue. The vast majority of pot smokers that I know are good decent people. If they are not decent, it's not because they smoke weed. It's because of something else that makes them indecent.

Bottom line - Get yourself a bag of weed and give it a try a few times over the course of a couple of weeks. You might find you like it. If anything you'll come away with a more informed, if not a different point of view about marijuana. And even if you still oppose legalizing marijuana after giving it a sincere try, 3 or 4 times, at least your opinion on the subject will have more credibility and carry more weight when you discuss it with somebody.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 02-08-2017 at 03:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or