U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 01:23 PM

5 posts, read 5,337 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My state passed the marijuana prop, so I plan to relocate to a state that will be least likely ever to pass this, is Indiana one of them? Is Indiana a decent place to raise kids?
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 01:39 PM
mym

556 posts, read 749,698 times
do you want your kids hooked on euchre? 'cause this is how you get your kids hooked on euchre.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:44 PM

118 posts, read 85,167 times
Indiana will probably be the last state to legalize marijuana and you will have it around regardless, be a good parent and hope you taught them well...

Old 11-10-2016, 01:56 PM

8,259 posts, read 13,529,405 times
There had been talk of "exploring" a loosening of marijuana laws in Indiana a couple of years ago. I'm not an expert, nor am I particularly interested in whether or not it is ever legalized in Indiana. I don't know where that exploration went or will go.

Old 11-10-2016, 03:56 PM

4,696 posts, read 3,219,036 times
You'd be better off moving to a location that bans alcohol. But yeah, Indiana will not likely legalize weed anytime soon. That doesn't mean it's not readily available, just not available at the corner shop. Your kids will just end up buying it from the local black market weed dealer.

Old 11-10-2016, 04:09 PM

2,563 posts, read 1,732,132 times
After these other states start realizing how much revenue they are losing by not legalizing marijuana, they will slowly come to their senses and it will soon eventually be legal in every state. I'd bet by 2030, marijuana will be legal in nearly every state, at least 45 out of the 50 states. I'd predict Indiana and Missouri to be the last states in the Midwest to legalize the wild weed, and Mississippi, Alabama, Texas and maybe Utah be the last 3 or 4 states in the nation to legalize it.

Alcohol always caused me a lot more trouble than weed. With weed, I never woke up the next day hungover, or in jail, or embarrassed for what I said or did. Thats why I don't drink alcohol, because it wreaked havoc in my life. If you ask me, the the wrong thing is illegal. I think the only reason alcohol is so widely acceptable today by so many conservative Christians is because it was used in the Bible.

I smoke weed daily as a relief from the stresses of day to day life pretty much since high school and never caused me to have any issues with the law or work or relationships or paying bills.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:16 PM

688 posts, read 349,583 times
Former Coloradan here. Teenagers aren't necessarily more likely to smoke pot if it's legal for adults:

Do More Teenagers Smoke Pot When It's Legal? - Reason.com

I've never done drugs--just never had any interest. I don't hang around with drug users. Yet I know where I could buy a crack pipe here in Indianapolis, and the neighbors on Nextdoor say drug dealers sell their wares in front of schools. At least dispensaries in Colorado card their customers.

While Indiana may be the last state to legalize marijuana (though it will happen someday), that doesn't make it better or worse than where you are. Do you have a good job and family support system where you live? Are there things like sports or other pursuits to interest your kids? Does your family fit in, so that your kids feel less need to drink or do drugs to be one of the "cool kids"? I'm not a parent, but those things seem more important for raising kids than state laws do.

Old 11-11-2016, 05:24 PM

7,258 posts, read 3,280,003 times
Oklahoma will be the last. My guess is Indiana will be in the final ten.

What will probably start happening as more states legalize it is more decriminalization or partial legalization (you can posses it but you can't sell it).

Old 11-11-2016, 06:15 PM

5,321 posts, read 7,658,806 times
You can't even buy alcohol on Sunday in Indiana. The only state that doesn't allow Sunday alcohol purchases.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:31 PM

688 posts, read 349,583 times
If you're looking for a place with clean-living people, you should consider Utah. But what I said before still applies, especially since there's a strong Mormon culture in Utah that your family may or may not fit in with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or