U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,354 times

Advertisements

I am moving to the South Bend, Indiana area for work and am curious as to where the safe areas are to live, as I am a young single female. I have found an apartment in the Elkhart area that I really like, but I am unsure of what to expect with the crime and the commute during the winter. I would be fine with the 30 minute commute on snowless days, but I am originally from Pittsburgh and do not know what to expect from a South Bend winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 06:19 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,261,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan320m View Post
I am moving to the South Bend, Indiana area for work and am curious as to where the safe areas are to live, as I am a young single female. I have found an apartment in the Elkhart area that I really like, but I am unsure of what to expect with the crime and the commute during the winter. I would be fine with the 30 minute commute on snowless days, but I am originally from Pittsburgh and do not know what to expect from a South Bend winter. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Curious where in South Bend your job is and where in Elkhart the apartment you found is. South Bend is right in the lake effect snow belt so it gets a lot of snow. According to the National Weather Service, South Bend averages over 81 inches of snow per year. Other websites say anywhere from the same all the way down to 66 inches. For Elkhart, I've seen average snowfall listed on websites anywhere from 40 inches to 66 inches per year. Lake effect snow is often very localized. I remember one winter night living on the southeast side of Elkhart, it was clear. I drove across town and by the time I got to the airport on the northwest side it was snowing. By the time I got to Mishawaka, there was 2-3 inches on the ground. When I left, Mishawaka was up to 4-5 inches, it was down to about an inch but still snowing at the Elkhart airport, and the sky was still clear when I got back home. It never did snow on the southeast side of Elkhart while Mishawaka had 6 inches and South Bend had close to 10. So that's why I ask where in Elkhart you might be living and where in South Bend you might be working. I think it would be best to live in South Bend or at least Mishawaka. The winter drive from Elkhart can sometimes be brutal.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:56 PM

619 posts, read 1,445,127 times
Lake effect snow is a big deal here, so make sure you're prepared with rapidly changing driving conditions from your commute to and South Bend.

South Bend is going through somewhat of a rebirth, and has seen recent growth. Elkhart has had consistent growth because of the RV industry.

Elkhart and South Bend both have their fair share of crime. This has been a particularly bad year for Elkhart, but it all depends on where you live. If you live in south Elkhart, I would avoid. Where at in Elkhart?

Old 11-27-2016, 08:05 AM

2 posts, read 2,483 times
Lake effect snow here is no different than what you can get in Pgh off Lake Erie. I live on the county line between St Joe and Elkhart Co. Lake effect further west can be akin to what you would find in Erie or Meadville. Toll road is best bet for travel between the 2 cities when the weather is bad. Crime in South Bend is probably worse than what you would find in Elkhart, but there are areas in both places you would avoid. Neither is comparable to what you would find in Penn Hills, McKeesport or the Hill District. Both areas have a high heroin meth problem. South Bend Mishawaka area is probably more like a less busy Wexford area unless there is a ND game. Wife and I prefer Elkhart for most shopping and dining to avoid traffic in the main retail areas of Mishawaka South Bend. Night life you will find more of in SB Mishawaka areas. Hope this helps. Grew up in Lower Burrell and New Ken area and left in the mid 90's. Best thing I could have done for my family.

Old 11-27-2016, 10:44 AM

2,462 posts, read 7,898,715 times
"Lake effect snow here is no different than what you can get in Pgh off Lake Erie."

This is not quite correct. Grew up in Pittsburgh, lived in DC for decades, and relocated to South Bend 8 years ago. We still visit family in Pittsburgh several times each year. The lake effect snow in South Bend is orders of magnitude heavier than in Pittsburgh. Average annual snowfall is six feet; Pittsburgh is under four. The piles of snow in the mall parking lots rarely melt completely until April. However, there are virtually no hills and far fewer potholes than Pittsburgh, and the road crews do a pretty good job of clearing the snow, especially on the Toll Road.

"Wife and I prefer Elkhart for most shopping and dining to avoid traffic in the main retail areas of Mishawaka South Bend."

It's all relative, but the traffic in South Bend is considerably less than in, say, the North Hills retail corridor on McKnight Road. The University Mall in South Bend is nothing special, but it is the only significant retail mall in the area, and attracts shoppers from Michigan and elsewhere in Michiana.

There are many safe places to live in South Bend, at various price points. Is there something particularly unique about the Elkhart apartment you like that you were unable to replicate closer to your workplace? Apart from the challenges of driving in winter weather, you will be spending more time commuting and less time doing other things you enjoy if you decide to live in Elkhart.

Old 11-27-2016, 04:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,483 times
I agree with the totals of snow you quoted. However,snow here is still less of of a problem than what it was back home in Pgh, unless you live closer to Valpo or LaPorte. I easily drive 60K miles a year. Spend most all of my time in Northern MI and the snow here is really not a big deal. As you said, it's all relative, as long as you stay off the 20 bypass!

Most of Pittsburgh is a cluster for traffic and finally glad I no longer have to go back on a regular basis. Rt 28 has been under construction for the last 30 years in one form or another. The Parkway seems always congested. But it is still much less than DC. Love Pittsburgh and many things about it. The people and food are the best. The hills and potholes you mentioned, not so much.

With the traveling I do, the retail corridor of Mishawaka doesn't attract us much. Elkhart has everything we need and is convenient. We enjoy the parks, the Jazz Festival and the slower pace.

Old 01-05-2017, 11:37 PM

10 posts, read 7,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan320m View Post

I am a former native of South Bend. Though it has been years since my departure there I always considered the East side of South Bend and the north-eastern area that is in the direction of the State of Michigan border line, the best areas to live. The east side is influenced by the university of Notre Dame and Saint Mary's college many of the neighborhoods have beautiful homes and there was little or no crime there. The far north east section that is located close to the Michigan State border line is beautiful and quiet also.
When I resided there I loved to travel the Kenilworth road. It takes you directly into Niles, Michigan. It is breathtaking. And it was very safe to live there in that area.

I may sound a little partial, but my friend compared to where I live now all of South Bend is a safe haven. You are choosing a very good city to live in. I wish you the best of luck

I wish you luck:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana