U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2016, 11:29 PM

2 posts, read 784 times

Advertisements

Hi friends, I will take a new job at West Lafayette next year, and am expected to be in this area for a few years. My family will not come with me. Actually we just bought a house in the west coast. Usually I would consider renting a studio or a 1-br apt at W Lafayette, since my stay in this area will be quite short. But when I looked into realty websites like zillow or trulia, I found the price is so cheap, compared to east or west coasts I have lived; and the price-to-rent ratio is very favorable for house purchasing. So I start to think about the possibility of buying an inexpensive house instead of renting. I still have about 30k after closing my recent house purchase; so I can afford another house of 100k-150k at W. Lafayette or Lafayette. If I buy, I can rent it our after I finish my job contract here and return to west coast. But I have no experience in investment properties. I will appreciate if someone can give me some advice. Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 06:17 AM

298 posts, read 147,687 times
Buying a rental property with borrowed money is a money-losing proposition. The question is, do you prefer living in a house? If so, buy one and sell it just before you leave. If you rent it out instead, you will have to hire a property management agency, unless you know a reliable long-term renter already who is guaranteed not to lose his job. Ask a local agency what their fees are and what you can expect to get, net, and compare it to your mortgage payment, plus taxes and insurance. I think you'll find a deficit.
I do know one investor in Indiana who buys and rehabs houses and then rents them, making a good profit. However, he does not borrow money and lives in the same town, supervising his own properties. He also has economies of scale. I think that's necessary to make landlording feasible, even in a college town like Lafayette.

Old 12-11-2016, 11:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 15,285,903 times
You will still have the mortgage plus you will need to hire a property manager.

I would honestly just rent in your case.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM

691 posts, read 349,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhungry View Post
...But I have no experience in investment properties. I will appreciate if someone can give me some advice. Thanks a lot!
Learning how to be a landlord from 1500 miles away sounds pretty tough. There's a lot that can go wrong with a bad tenant, and if you're out of state, you'll have to pay other people to help you deal with it. If you still want to do this, though, talk to a real estate attorney in Lafayette first to see what your responsibilities as a landlord would be, what the process is to evict a tenant, and worse case, what would happen if someone turned your house into a meth lab.

Personally, I'd rent a small apartment, as you originally planned. Even during the short time you'll be here, a house could need major repairs or replacements, and you'd certainly have a pay a sales commission when you sell it.

Old 12-11-2016, 02:15 PM

10,638 posts, read 3,314,105 times
I agree with the others, it doesn't make sense to buy.

Old 12-11-2016, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 784 times
Thank all you guys. Your inputs are really helpful. I think I will just rent a small apartment, which will give me more flexibility and less headache.

Old 12-15-2016, 01:35 PM

12 posts, read 9,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhungry View Post
Thank all you guys. Your inputs are really helpful. I think I will just rent a small apartment, which will give me more flexibility and less headache.
Plus you could always buy and move out here Permanently if you enjoy it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or