U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 PM

1 posts, read 473 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I just accepted a job offer in Seymour, IN and I just wanted to know what cities do you recommend for relocation. We are a small, active, and young family with one four year old child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2017, 07:25 AM

5,174 posts, read 6,505,368 times
As much as I love living in Bloomington I wouldn't recommend it for a commute to Seymour. Even if you lived on the far east side of Bloomington, you would have to drive through Nashville. The road between Bloomington and Nashville can be treacherous during the winter months if there is snow or ice. There is one particular hill, near Brown County State Park, that consistently causes problems; at times it's shut down and there are numerous accidents on it during the winter months. I live south of town and drive a different way because of my location. It's still over an hour to Seymour.

I would recommend you focus on Columbus or anywhere between Columbus and Seymour. Seymour, although small, would be fine too.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:11 PM

9,392 posts, read 19,893,900 times
I concur on the road from Bloomington to Columbus, you do not want that commute everyday. Lots of tourist driving in the area, too. Seymour has more of a rural / Southernish feel to it. It isn't bad or tiny but if it's not for you consider Columbus. Columbus has a very different vibe, very Midwestern and surprisingly bustling. Cummins Engines has lots of engineering jobs downtown and it helps creat a vibrant downtown area that even has a mall. Between Seymour and Louisville's northern suburbs is Scott Co, which is like a piece of the poorest parts of Appalachia. Huge drug problems and social decay. If you plan on traveling to or through Louisville at all get a RiverLink toll transponder, it will half how much your toll is per pass ($2 vs $4). New Albany / Clarksville / Jeffersonville would be a 45 to 50 mile commute to Seymour on I-65.

Old 04-22-2017, 10:17 AM

3,511 posts, read 3,593,138 times
Hey VT08, if you are still out there I'd highly recommend Columbus, IN, it'd be a great place to raise a family.

In particular I'd recommend living downtown (so somewhere south of 17th and east of Central Ave.) or out around Tipton Lakes. Additionally, the north side of town along Washington St. and further north into Forest Hills is quite nice too. These two locations should cover basically all price ranges, and are not a horrible drive from Seymour. Additionally, Columbus has a number of amenities in town, and if that isn't enough Bloomington and Indy are a short drive away.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or