U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:58 AM

108 posts, read 88,094 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are moving back to the US from Europe in a few months, and we're starting off at the in-laws in Utah. But even though the Rockies are nice and I do love it there, it's pretty expensive and non-green (think evergreens ) so we're looking at moving further east some day.

She did live a while in Anderson, IN, and claims it's gorgeous and all, and I bet it is.
My concern is how wild it is?
I'm into hunting, fishing, hiking (bushwhacking) and being out in the wild alone, away from people.
Where about in the state do you get that?

I'd like to live in a more rural area because I want to get a house with a nice size property which is a lot cheaper back east than in the Rockies. But I do need to be within 30 minutes commute to a bigger town with a decent job market. And we have a son and I don't want to isolate him from friends and activities.

Any suggestions about this in the state of Indiana?
Winters will not be a problem because where we are right now it's -29C and close to 4 ft of snow...

If any of you know a different state that would fit, I'm all ears
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 08:56 AM

2,100 posts, read 1,055,439 times
Anderson is depressed; you could certainly find large property for a little money there. The Indianapolis area has a good job market, though.

There's hunting and fishing in the area, but the deep-in-the-wilderness areas I think you're looking for aren't really around here, as far as I know.

Old 02-24-2018, 10:39 PM

29,378 posts, read 22,241,174 times
Uh, there is nothing gorgeous about Anderson. It is a simple Rust Belt town. If you want a large house on a large lot for gardening or such, it works fine. It has the essentials - Lowes, Home Depot, Kroger, Meijer, Walmart. You're looking at a 45 min - 1 hour commute to jobs in Indy from Anderson.

My ex lived there and I worked on the north side of Indy. I did that commute dozens of times. As long as you don't mind the traffic, Anderson can provide an inexpensive, truly small town experience commutable to Indianapolis. It has seen better days, but I'm nowhere near as dour on it as a lot of posts have been. I thought it was a good place, in spite of its economic problems.

There is very little true wilderness in Indiana. Your best bet for being remote would be places in the hill country in southern IN, but there isn't much in the way of work there.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM

3,513 posts, read 4,390,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seww6 View Post
She did live a while in Anderson, IN, and claims it's gorgeous and all, and I bet it is.
My concern is how wild it is?
To be honest, it's not very wild. A lot of the wild area was plowed under hundreds of years ago for farm fields. I'd look into southern Indiana.

Quote:
I'm into hunting, fishing, hiking (bushwhacking) and being out in the wild alone, away from people.
Where about in the state do you get that?
Given those interests.... I'd say Brown County. It puts you right between Columbus and Bloomington, both of which have a lot of companies that are hiring. The area is heavily wooded, hilly, and very pretty. Although Brown Co. has a very... "country" vibe (in the US, "country" ties into a lot of very ethno-centric beliefs too unfortunately) both Columbus and Bloomington has a very world perspective. Columbus has a gorgeous collection of architecturally significant buildings, and Bloomington is a quintessential college town, often considered one of the best.

This will be about ~90-120 min south of Anderson, and ~45-60 minutes from Indy's south suburbs depending on there you go in Brown County. If you are willing to travel to land rather than own it, places like Tipton Lakes would put you in a great spot for commuting into Indy.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:37 AM

7,447 posts, read 9,244,424 times
Always start at the source. This is the information you need about hunting in Indiana. I am not a hunter, but I have allowed a few friends to hunt (cross-bow) only on my property for limited time periods. Make friends with a farmer. Those empty farm fields in the fall and winter are a source of food for deer.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5427.htm

Old 02-26-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Anderson is depressed; you could certainly find large property for a little money there. The Indianapolis area has a good job market, though.

There's hunting and fishing in the area, but the deep-in-the-wilderness areas I think you're looking for aren't really around here, as far as I know.
Yeah we're not planning on moving to Anderson, but that's where wife's from. Seems cheap though.

Maybe Indiana as a state is not wild enough for me then
I just want to be able to hike a few miles into the woods and be miles from a road..

Old 02-26-2018, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Uh, there is nothing gorgeous about Anderson. It is a simple Rust Belt town. If you want a large house on a large lot for gardening or such, it works fine. It has the essentials - Lowes, Home Depot, Kroger, Meijer, Walmart. You're looking at a 45 min - 1 hour commute to jobs in Indy from Anderson.

My ex lived there and I worked on the north side of Indy. I did that commute dozens of times. As long as you don't mind the traffic, Anderson can provide an inexpensive, truly small town experience commutable to Indianapolis. It has seen better days, but I'm nowhere near as dour on it as a lot of posts have been. I thought it was a good place, in spite of its economic problems.

There is very little true wilderness in Indiana. Your best bet for being remote would be places in the hill country in southern IN, but there isn't much in the way of work there.
This is true for most places.
More rural = less jobs = low wages.
Even though quality of life might be higher, one still needs money to live in today's society.

Currently we live in a town of about 15k people, we would like to live a bit outside a town of closer to 100k.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
To be honest, it's not very wild. A lot of the wild area was plowed under hundreds of years ago for farm fields. I'd look into southern Indiana.

Given those interests.... I'd say Brown County. It puts you right between Columbus and Bloomington, both of which have a lot of companies that are hiring. The area is heavily wooded, hilly, and very pretty. Although Brown Co. has a very... "country" vibe (in the US, "country" ties into a lot of very ethno-centric beliefs too unfortunately) both Columbus and Bloomington has a very world perspective. Columbus has a gorgeous collection of architecturally significant buildings, and Bloomington is a quintessential college town, often considered one of the best.

This will be about ~90-120 min south of Anderson, and ~45-60 minutes from Indy's south suburbs depending on there you go in Brown County. If you are willing to travel to land rather than own it, places like Tipton Lakes would put you in a great spot for commuting into Indy.
Thanks, sounds like a good place to check in.
I'm interested in the eastern parts of the US because of the lush and green forests. But I also like the west...

We'll see, glad to get some opinions from people living in the area.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Always start at the source. This is the information you need about hunting in Indiana. I am not a hunter, but I have allowed a few friends to hunt (cross-bow) only on my property for limited time periods. Make friends with a farmer. Those empty farm fields in the fall and winter are a source of food for deer.

https://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5427.htm
I have read a little bit at the DNR websites and the areas for deer hunting seems a bit small.
In that sense, it'd be nice to have big areas of state/federal land around rather than private.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:04 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,218,624 times
Quote:
This is true for most places.
More rural = less jobs = low wages.
Even though quality of life might be higher, one still needs money to live in today's society.

Currently we live in a town of about 15k people, we would like to live a bit outside a town of closer to 100k.
Hmm, there are only 4 towns in Indiana currently with 100k people or more. South Bend, Fort Wayne, Indy, and Evansville. I agree with other posters that your best bet is going to be southern Indiana where there is the Hoosier National Forest and several state parks, though hunting would be limited in those areas, they certainly feel more wild than the northern half of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana