U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2018, 10:05 PM

5 posts, read 3,375 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am a 31 yr old Pediatric/L&D registered nurse but I also have a BS in Recreation Administration. My husband was a mechanic for years and is now doing construction. We have two children (grade school ages). We are looking to move. We are wanting an affordable house (not looking for anything too fancy or big). We are more worried about the land surrounding the house. We love the outdoors! We are wanting to own at least 3 acres of land. Also looking for a place with great educational ratings and a place that has low crime rates. We prefer to be out in the country and close to a small town or city that has the amenities. Would love to live somewhere close to state or national parks with a lot of recreational opportunities (we love to camp, fish, go atving, hike, etc). We are currently in IL and its just not suiting us. I am leaning more towards, Colorado, Indiana, Missouri, Arizona but open to whatever! Please let me know if you can think of a place that might work for us! Many thanks for reading this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 10:44 PM

1,369 posts, read 698,055 times
Your money will probably go further in Indiana than Colorado unless you're considering the eastern plains. There's not much in eastern Colorado--been across it many times.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:30 PM

75 posts, read 41,291 times
Is there a certain part of Indiana you are considering? There are lots of great communities and areas that could fit your bill. If you don't have jobs lined up being in small communities where you can commute to a bigger city may be best as some areas may fit your criteria, but very little job openings.

My expertise is more in the central Indiana area though I have relatives in other parts of Indiana that if you have certain towns in mind I could speak to those based on their or my experiences.

West:
Romney area -- halfway between Lafayette and Crawfordsville for employment opportunities and only a little over an hour from Indianapolis. McCutcheon High School that's part of the Tippecanoe School System. Also plenty of properties with at least 1 or more acres. Not too bad drive to Turkey Run or Shades Parks.

Coatsville and Amo area might fit your bill also. about 30-40 min to Greencastle or Indy. My Brother-in-law and his family (2 kids) just bought out that way a little less than a year ago and are loving it so far. They have 2 acres and Mill Creek Schools are improving. Shades and Turkey Run State Park not far away.

New Salem or Lizton area -- probably the best schools of the 3 from the western edges (Northwest Hendricks Schools). Lots of properties over 1 acre -- close to Shades and Turkey Run State Park as well as McCloud Nature Park and Eagle Creek Park.

North:
Warsaw area -- Lots of larger lots available and many lakes in this region. Not a far drive from Chain-O Lakes State Park about an hour from Fort Wayne or Elkhart

South:
I know Brown County and Bedford areas have lots of outdoor opportunities and parks nearby. They are only about an hour to 1.5 hours south of Indy and close to Bloomington and only 1.5 hours from Lousiville. Not sure how good school systems are in that area though.

Don't know if that's any help, but the ones I have some knowledge on and have heard good things about school systems wise while being close to parks and cities.

There are a lot of other really great areas around the state that you can get a home with a few acres affordably and close to parks and cities/towns with good school systems, but as I may not be as knowledgeable on those areas don't want to speak on them.

Old 05-31-2018, 06:06 PM

624 posts, read 1,549,073 times
I think you would enjoy the northern portion of Indiana for outdoors. Especially being close to Michigan!

Research Middlebury, Indiana, which is near the border of Michigan but also not a far drive from Elkhart, Goshen, South Bend, and Fort Wayne.

Great school ratings as well!

Old 05-31-2018, 06:51 PM

2,614 posts, read 3,320,813 times
Show Low, AZ....in the White Mtns, 6000' elevation, great hospital, tons of recreation, summer and winter, fishing, hunting, camping, hiking...lots of custom homes being built in the area.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 06-03-2018, 06:16 AM

5 posts, read 3,375 times
Wow. Thank you so much for all the info!! It helps me out a ton. It is so hard to know where to even start on researching some of this.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:57 AM

10,657 posts, read 9,165,494 times
Look at the Eastern slope of Colorado.

Old 06-03-2018, 03:30 PM

1,369 posts, read 698,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
That's where I'm from. Real estate prices are ridiculous there.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:17 AM

6,517 posts, read 9,382,378 times
New Carlisle or Plymouth or Goshen, which is on the bigger end, around 30,000 people are all good. They are located 2 hours or less from Chicago, 1 hour or less from Lake Michigan, and you have the principal cities of South Bend, Elkhart, and Mishawaka for all city amenities.

Old 06-04-2018, 03:24 PM

44 posts, read 37,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Someone that lives in Europe shouldn't be chiming in on North American issues.
You Focus on Europe. Well focus on America.
Deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or