Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:20 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Most of Indiana is very different from the rest of the Midwest. In food, culture, folkways, and religion. It is also a notably conservative state.
I just don't see it, maybe Evansville or down near Louisville. I mean, if you cut out Chicago, Indiana is almost a mirror image of Illinois in more ways than just geography.

I would actually say Ohio is the most un-Midwestern state out of the bunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 10:54 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
When I lived in Muncie, I knew very few 2nd and 3rd generation Hoosiers whose family came from Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio. Muncie is only about 30 miles from the Ohio state line and about 100 miles from the Kentucky, Illinois, and the Michigan state line, but I do believe there are more Hoosiers whose family moved to Muncie after WW2 came from Kentucky and Tennessee than Ohio, and definitely more than came from Michigan and Ilinois. I know New Castle is the same as Muncie and I highly suspect Anderson, Marion and Kokomo are the same way, too. Possibly even Richmond despite being 5 miles from the Ohio border. I bet Indianapolis is the same way, outside of Carmel and Far North old money sections of Indianapolis and it's Northern suburbs. Matter of fact, I'd venture to say blue collar working class whites whose family moved to Indiana from Kentucky and Tennessee since WW2 are going to make up a high percentage of the population of any of the Rust Belt towns in Indiana.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:37 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Depends on the religion. Some denominations are more "Southern" than others. Religion itself obviously not "Southern". A certain type of religion is.

There is a large Baptist and Pentecostal presence in Indiana. There are also more people with southern roots, in Indiana than in the rest of the rest of the Midwest.

One state over in OH my current state was settled by Connecticut Yankees. That influence can still be felt over 200 years later.

Neither is either good or bad. Right or wrong. They are just different.

Most of Indiana is very different from the rest of the Midwest. In food, culture, folkways, and religion. It is also a notably conservative state.
Your first post made it seem like you've never been to Indiana. This one doesn't do much to change that.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:31 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
I am a Kentucky native with long roots in that state who moved across the river from Louisville KY to Southern Indiana and have traveled up and down the I-65 corridor to Chicagoland and west along I-64 to Evansville. If you draw a line from Tell City to Seymour to Madison and south of that line it is a mix of Southern and Midwestern culture and accent, perhaps a bit more Southern leaning. I notice a big change when I go just from Seymour to Columbus in terms of the accents, almost feels like the boundary between Kentucky and Indiana is somewhere along the Jackson / Bartholomew county lines. Even though Evanvsille is far south in the state on the Ohio River it has a very Midwestern feel. I think Indiana's being more Republican leaning than other Midwestern states is due mostly to the White population being more British / Southern USA based in origin rather than being Germanic, Irish, or Polish origin like the rest of the Midwest.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:44 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I am a Kentucky native with long roots in that state who moved across the river from Louisville KY to Southern Indiana and have traveled up and down the I-65 corridor to Chicagoland and west along I-64 to Evansville. If you draw a line from Tell City to Seymour to Madison and south of that line it is a mix of Southern and Midwestern culture and accent, perhaps a bit more Southern leaning. I notice a big change when I go just from Seymour to Columbus in terms of the accents, almost feels like the boundary between Kentucky and Indiana is somewhere along the Jackson / Bartholomew county lines. Even though Evanvsille is far south in the state on the Ohio River it has a very Midwestern feel. I think Indiana's being more Republican leaning than other Midwestern states is due mostly to the White population being more British / Southern USA based in origin rather than being Germanic, Irish, or Polish origin like the rest of the Midwest.
This.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:10 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,105 times
Quote:
This.
Well the area he’s talking about probably isn’t even 1/4 of the state. You’re making huge generalizations about the whole state.

Your comment that Illinois and Ohio are similar tells me you’ve probably never really spent anytime in Illinois and it doesn’t look like you come to Indiana much either.

I’ve seen you drop this “Indiana isn’t really midwestern” line in more than one thread and people constantly refute you but you just ignore them and move on saying the same ole stuff. Illinois and Indiana are probably the two best representations of what the Midwest is to most Americans.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:10 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Well the area he’s talking about probably isn’t even 1/4 of the state. You’re making huge generalizations about the whole state.

Your comment that Illinois and Ohio are similar tells me you’ve probably never really spent anytime in Illinois and it doesn’t look like you come to Indiana much either.

I’ve seen you drop this “Indiana isn’t really midwestern” line in more than one thread and people constantly refute you but you just ignore them and move on saying the same ole stuff. Illinois and Indiana are probably the two best representations of what the Midwest is to most Americans.
Yep, both Indiana and Illinois were once the Great American Desert.

Old 09-30-2018, 09:38 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Precisely. When I was still living in Carmel, I met a guy at the bar from Seymour. He sounded a lot like me. I think Seymour is a telling line.

Old 10-02-2018, 09:50 PM

148 posts, read 459,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
When I lived in Muncie, I knew very few 2nd and 3rd generation Hoosiers whose family came from Michigan, Illinois, or Ohio. Muncie is only about 30 miles from the Ohio state line and about 100 miles from the Kentucky, Illinois, and the Michigan state line, but I do believe there are more Hoosiers whose family moved to Muncie after WW2 came from Kentucky and Tennessee than Ohio, and definitely more than came from Michigan and Ilinois. I know New Castle is the same as Muncie and I highly suspect Anderson, Marion and Kokomo are the same way, too. Possibly even Richmond despite being 5 miles from the Ohio border. I bet Indianapolis is the same way, outside of Carmel and Far North old money sections of Indianapolis and it's Northern suburbs. Matter of fact, I'd venture to say blue collar working class whites whose family moved to Indiana from Kentucky and Tennessee since WW2 are going to make up a high percentage of the population of any of the Rust Belt towns in Indiana.
This recent story in the NYTimes seems to confirm your idea about the southern connections in the eastern indiana industrial cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...iendships.html

Old 10-03-2018, 08:16 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodeca View Post
This recent story in the NYTimes seems to confirm your idea about the southern connections in the eastern indiana industrial cities.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...iendships.html
My ex-girlfriend grew up in Anderson. She's 50. Her dad is in her 70s. Her grandfather came from Tennessee (near Cookeville) years ago for auto work. Madison seems to have strong connections to some north-central TN counties along the Cumberland Plateau than a lot of southern IN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana