U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 PM
 
80 posts, read 56,905 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

Compared to other Midwestern states, Indiana was settled to a greater extent in the 19th by settlers from the Upper South (Kentucky and Tennessee) and less by New Yorkers and New Englanders as was the case with Michigan and Wisconsin. The state is arguably the least "ethnic" state in the Midwest although Southwestern Missouri and Southeastern Kansas are similar in that regard. With the exception of industrial centers such as Gary and South Bend, Indiana received less immigration and was far more Anglo-American Protestant and had the lowest percentage of persons born abroad or with foreign-born parents (although Germans were prominent around Fort Wayne and Evansville). Due to these differences, does the culture of Indiana differ in substantial or noticeable ways from the other Midwestern States. How present are Southern Influences in Hoosier Culture? I attended a Quaker College in NC and the head of Quaker Studies there is from a small town near Kokomo, Indiana and his speech and effect could in no way be described as Southern and bears more similarities to Pennsylvania-dialect (possibly owing to Quaker roots). Are Southern or Pennsylvania-based influences more prominent in Indiana's dialect and culture?


Omar
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-17-2018, 10:19 PM
 
Location: IL/IN/FL/CA/KY/FL/KY/WA
1,216 posts, read 1,056,689 times
Reputation: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
Compared to other Midwestern states, Indiana was settled to a greater extent in the 19th by settlers from the Upper South (Kentucky and Tennessee) and less by New Yorkers and New Englanders as was the case with Michigan and Wisconsin. The state is arguably the least "ethnic" state in the Midwest although Southwestern Missouri and Southeastern Kansas are similar in that regard. With the exception of industrial centers such as Gary and South Bend, Indiana received less immigration and was far more Anglo-American Protestant and had the lowest percentage of persons born abroad or with foreign-born parents (although Germans were prominent around Fort Wayne and Evansville). Due to these differences, does the culture of Indiana differ in substantial or noticeable ways from the other Midwestern States. How present are Southern Influences in Hoosier Culture? I attended a Quaker College in NC and the head of Quaker Studies there is from a small town near Kokomo, Indiana and his speech and effect could in no way be described as Southern and bears more similarities to Pennsylvania-dialect (possibly owing to Quaker roots). Are Southern or Pennsylvania-based influences more prominent in Indiana's dialect and culture?


Omar
I spent 10 years as an Indiana resident and my most recent job was at an agriculture lender which had offices all over Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

I think if you drew a line around Bloomington and Columbus that split the state horizontally, the southern part below that line would be more in line with the upper south in terms of culture and dialect, with the German influence further to the west of the state as the exception - and then points north would be more like traditional Midwestern until you get to the NW corner of the state, which has more of the Chicago culture.

There are a number of Mennonite communities and Amish in Indiana as well, and that probably is more in the NE section of the state, especially areas like Shipshewana. Life and History of Indiana's Amish & Mennonites - travelindiana.com

That mid-section north of Indianapolis and south of Rochester and most points East and West is what I consider to be the most in line with traditional Midwesternism. Just my opinion based on my experience from traveling the state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Florida
7,437 posts, read 13,311,036 times
Reputation: 9826
I haven't spent anytime in Indiana, but I'm surrounded by many from that state here in Fla. They are snowbirds so live in Ind, and spend winters here. What I have noticed the ones here live South of Indianapolis. They sound a little southern, and seem somewhat culturally southern. Mainly their diets seem rich in southern style foods. If anything has stuck out the most is how religious they are. That and they seem to have had little experience with urban settings and diversity.

I've honestly wondered if this group, knew each other before Fla. I say that because they seem way to similiar, and group together. Then again I have noticed many snowbirds seek out others from their own state.

So that's what's been presented to me, from those I see and meet from Indiana. Nice enough to small talk with, but religion is very much their topic of conversation. Its not my topic so I stick to small talk, and go on my way. So it does seem I'm meeting, just a certain segment of Indiana residents. They probably have known each other before their snowbirds days.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2018, 09:26 AM
 
2,691 posts, read 5,260,220 times
Reputation: 2370
I grew up in Indiana. After finishing college, I moved to the Miami area for my career. Forty-three years later, I moved back to my hometown in Indiana. During the two years I have lived here, I've never discussed religion with anyone nor heard it being discussed.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 01:11 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,385 posts, read 14,799,512 times
Reputation: 6061
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
The state is arguably the least "ethnic" state in the Midwest

How present are Southern Influences in Hoosier Culture?
For starters, your first statement is empirically false. The only people making such an argument don't know what they're talking about.

The answer to your second question is "no more than neighboring states." Places like Evansville may have some southern influence, but they're not southern.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:24 PM
 
80 posts, read 56,905 times
Reputation: 171
False how so? Statistics from the censuses of 1890-1930 bear out that Indiana had a higher proportion
of Native born Whites of Native Parentage than any other Midwestern State and thus a higher proportion of those with colonial stock than any other Midwestern State. When I return home I will provide links with this data. This also bears out in Religious Denomination membership with fewer Catholics and Lutherans proportionally and more Methodists, Baptists, and Pentecostals. I pointed out certain cities as exceptions to this but using as an operational definition of ethnic those of foreign birth or parentage, then yes, Indiana was less ethnic in 1910-1920 than most of the remainder of the Midwest.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 03:34 PM
 
Location: 78745
3,578 posts, read 2,700,407 times
Reputation: 6323
1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
For starters, your first statement is empirically false. The only people making such an argument don't know what they're talking about..
Outside of Indianapolis Metro, Lake County, South Bend and Ft Wayne, Indiana is probably between 92% and 95% white, and the remaining 5 to 8 percent are blacks and Hispanics, and almost all of those folks are Christians of the Protestant or Catholic persuasion.

If a tourist is hoping for a good ethnic experience, they should look elsewhere than Indiana, especially in the towns that are less than 100,000.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 04:38 PM
 
2,691 posts, read 5,260,220 times
Reputation: 2370
Lafayette and West Lafayette are more diverse due to the presence of Purdue University. There are many Asians living in the area. I believe that recent stats for Tippecanoe County stated that there were 13,000 Asians living in the county. This is just one example.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 06:02 PM
 
Location: 78745
3,578 posts, read 2,700,407 times
Reputation: 6323
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Lafayette and West Lafayette are more diverse due to the presence of Purdue University. There are many Asians living in the area. I believe that recent stats for Tippecanoe County stated that there were 13,000 Asians living in the county. This is just one example.
I bet the vast majority of Asians in Tippecanoe County live in West Lafayette. How many Asians are permanent residents of Tippecanoe County and not students at Purdue?

I could be mistaken, but I do believe many college students are counted in the population of the city the college is in even though they are from somewhere else. I believe that's how they did it in Muncie. Ball Stated students were counted as Muncie residents even though their family lives outside of Delaware County. Soon as they graduate, most leave Delaware County, and I imagine it's pretty much the same in West Lafayette, Bloomington and Terre Haute
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-19-2018, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,385 posts, read 14,799,512 times
Reputation: 6061
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I bet the vast majority of Asians in Tippecanoe County live in West Lafayette. How many Asians are permanent residents of Tippecanoe County and not students at Purdue?
So, basically your position is that Indiana is 95% white if you exclude the areas non-whites might live?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top