Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 08:28 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,051,410 times

Advertisements

If your goal is to have a business and you'll need that for a decent amount of your income for the year, I'd definitely look at more suburban areas near Indy or the other larger urban areas in Indiana and Ohio. You'd want that customer base even if this will be a job for spending money. If you go to a more rural or small city area, you could still make it but you'd have to basically be the person everyone wants to go to first, meaning you'd have to be good and offer reasonable pricing.

As far as the weather goes, the further north you go, the "worse" the winter weather can be. Ft. Wayne is likely going to get about 6-10 more inches of snow every winter compared to Indy, Columbus (OH), and Cincinnati. Louisville gets about 10-15 less than those cities so you might want to consider the Indiana side of the Louisville metro area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2018, 04:57 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,666,986 times
We moved from Illinois to NW Indiana almost three years ago. Lower property taxes and overall lower cost of living. The schools are good and people are genuinely nice. The state is fiscally sound!

Old 12-23-2018, 08:00 PM

34,814 posts, read 30,867,528 times
The problem is that the southern part of IN has the best winters, but the least amount of available jobs in such. Sure, you can find jobs in Indy or NWI, but the weather is worse, and would you really want to live there?

Old 12-24-2018, 07:31 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,896,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The problem is that the southern part of IN has the best winters, but the least amount of available jobs in such. Sure, you can find jobs in Indy or NWI, but the weather is worse, and would you really want to live there?
Think it's up to the poster and how they feel about snow. There are fine communities all over the state. After Indy, northern and north Western Indiana has the greatest concentration of people with a lot of small to medium sized cities. Sure it snows, but it rarely stops the daily gears of business around here.

Old 12-24-2018, 10:02 AM

26,373 posts, read 46,209,981 times
Quote:
No, southern IN has the worst winters, constantly rainy, damp cold, and muddy. Snow, more sun, and drier air are superior to that even if temperatures are far colder.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:23 PM

18 posts, read 24,344 times
Thank you all very much for your help and advice. Yes, having the small business is the ultimate goal, but I need to be realistic the first few years as I am relocating and only know a couple of people in either state and they are very casual friends from high school (Texas who moved North due to spouse's jobs) and not the close best friends type, but more meet for coffee now and then, meaning I know it takes more effort in a new place/state when first starting out. I have been told I am a great dog groomer, but it is definitely a business where one mediocre or bad review can significantly impact your business, whether or not the dog is well cared for or the owner is "sane."

I did see there are farms all around both Indiana and Ohio and many had minis like I do. I would wait until Spring to bring the minis to acclimate to the weather for next year. There is no perfect place and I have checked Tennessee,the Carolinas, Georgia, Alabama and while there are pockets of areas that either the animals or the business would likely do well, putting business life and personal life (needing farm land and more welcoming people) would be more challenging. Several realtors in Cookeville, Tennessee and suburbs of Nashville & also Gastonia, NC and Raleigh, NC, also Georgia seemed very stringent and highly encouraged not renting retail space if not from there and big ties to the community. I am sure there are ways it could work, but the geography of many of the middle states also is a challenge with the "hollers" or hill drop offs as well as the heat that I have to escape. I guess the flatter areas in Indiana and Ohio have more appeal and people meeting in passing seem more genuine and down to earth. I know there are some Moody and unfriendly people everywhere, but I miss the people of the North and 4 seasons. I can qualify for a home once I am employed in a similar job as counselor as the lender in Ohio said keeping in main profession (job had the longest) once relocated would make buying a home easier than opening a business as it is considered a new type of job and also the risks having a business brings: rent and utilities plus renting a home. If the animals need to be out in a smaller town and I must drive 20-30 minutes into town the business is located, then that will be ok and workable.

The owners of the grooming shop I work at now drive in 40 minutes and homeschool their 6 year old daughter. I guess they like the drive as they rent their house and could live much closer, no land and own a small dog. I would prefer being closer, if possible. She's been grooming 16 years though and he is retired military so she says she has to make enough for rent, utilities, insurance, products, not to fully support the family, unless she wants extra. I will also have to make enough to cover regular expenses, rent or mortgage, and giving self a small salary. This is why I can wait to have a shop until settled. I will plan to visit at the end of January and check out Indiana in the winter and all the areas you all have mentioned. I appreciate your advice very much! Thank you! Merry Christmas !!!

Old 12-24-2018, 07:27 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,666,986 times
Quote:
Why wouldn't someone want to live in NWI? I live in St. John which is comparable to Orland Park, IL but without the high taxes. We are only 35 miles from downtown Chicago so one can work there yet have lower COL by living in NWI. BTW, lake effect snow where I'm at is hit or miss. I actually got more snow when I used to live in Plainfield, IL than I do now!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:29 PM

144 posts, read 158,845 times
DogMomSara, please let us know what your impressions are following your Janurary trip! Some of us on the forums are also strongly considering relocation to Indiana. In my case, just like you, I'm considering both Indiana and Ohio.

Old 12-25-2018, 07:07 PM

18 posts, read 24,344 times
Definitely I will keep you all updated. Part of my problem is I am very easy to please, laid back, and like many areas, lol. Moving is a big commitment, especially 1000 miles. I only previously lived 3 years as an adult in the Pittsburgh, PA area (2005-2008) and those were years with mild winters and I didn't have mini horses or donkeys then. Maybe I worry too much and a warm barn in a safe area is all they need. They won't freeze to death once acclimated to the colder weather.

Grandparents and mom are from North Dakota not far from Montana, so I am sure it will be easy compared to those brutal winters! All areas have varieties of things family who visit would need/want: parks, camping, movies, church, new & fun things to try sometimes. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2019, 08:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,092,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomSara View Post
Definitely I will keep you all updated. Part of my problem is I am very easy to please, laid back, and like many areas, lol. Moving is a big commitment, especially 1000 miles. I only previously lived 3 years as an adult in the Pittsburgh, PA area (2005-2008) and those were years with mild winters and I didn't have mini horses or donkeys then. Maybe I worry too much and a warm barn in a safe area is all they need. They won't freeze to death once acclimated to the colder weather.

Grandparents and mom are from North Dakota not far from Montana, so I am sure it will be easy compared to those brutal winters! All areas have varieties of things family who visit would need/want: parks, camping, movies, church, new & fun things to try sometimes. Thanks!
Have you had a chance to visit Indiana? Any news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana