Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM

13 posts, read 14,038 times

Advertisements

Considering relocating to Bloomington, IN from the Chicago suburbs. I'm retired and am concerned about what there would be for a retired person to do in Bloomington, if the community is accepting of newcomers, and lastly, access to healthcare (Leukemia and chronic pain are issues). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 09:17 AM

307 posts, read 249,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown0934 View Post
Considering relocating to Bloomington, IN from the Chicago suburbs. I'm retired and am concerned about what there would be for a retired person to do in Bloomington, if the community is accepting of newcomers, and lastly, access to healthcare (Leukemia and chronic pain are issues). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It's a college town so I would take that into consideration. IU is a big University!
I dont' know much about it other than that although it is in a beautiful part of Indiana

Old 04-16-2019, 10:12 AM

173 posts, read 236,385 times
What are you into doing in retirement is the real question? I know some retired people that only care about golfing. Others that love being outdoors being active, some that just like shopping and some that just want to stay home and relax only going out rarely after the hustle and bustle of their working life.

I think you'll find plenty to do in Bloomington activity wise because IU will provide alot of those activities. Guest speakers/lecturers and other community and on campus events. There are other activities that the town will put on as well. There are lot of parks (Brown County, McCormick's Creek and Morgan Monroe State Forest) and lakes (Lake Monroe being the obvious one) nearby if you are into outdoor activities. Nashville, Indiana is always a favorite for the arts if you like that stuff. I'm sure there are nice golf courses in the area, IU or Indianapolis sporting events if that's your cup of tea. Finally the area has alot of wineries that do wine tasting (Oliver's being the biggest and most prominent).

As the previous poster mentioned though it is a college town. So during school months expect it to be a crazier scene around the bars and areas college students would frequent. Also being a college town I'm sure they will be more accepting of others since they have to every school year anyway. Access to healthcare there are 2 major hospitals in Bloomington. I have no idea on the quality of those hospitals though I'm sure you could easily look up reviews.

Why Bloomington out of curiosity? It just seems a random pick after being in Chicago. It will definitely be slower paced compared to Chicago and better winters and definitely beautiful part of Indiana! Don't necessarily have a better spot to retire to in Indiana for you, just curious why you zeroed in on Bloomington. Cost of living should be cheaper than Chicago area that's for sure, but most people generally look at Northwest Indiana if they are still wanting to be close to Chicago, but have Indiana costs.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,225,138 times
OP--We lived in the Western suburbs for 15 years before making the decision to move to Bloomington 18 years ago. As a matter of fact, we lived in Aurora for about 8 years--first house and kids were born there. We were not even close to retirement at the time we moved. We're closer now and will likely remain here in retirement although neither of our kids live here.

Money magazine, CNN Money and other publications/media often mention Bloomington as a top spot for retirement and lots of people do move to B-ton for retirement. Although the above posters emphasize the college town aspect of living here, it doesn't really impact life for those of us that don't live close to campus. It does mean though that we continuously have access to music of all kinds, theatre, sports, and all kinds of cultural events. The local library is great and has lots going on all the time. There is also a lot to do outdoors. I think there are several clubs aimed at retirees and the park district has activities for seniors. Lots of locally owned restaurants of all kinds. Plenty to do here.

People do tend to be friendly, especially if you make an effort.

I can't expertly answer the health care questions although I know there are good doctors around. It's also about an hour or so to Indianapolis if you need care that's not available here.

One "warning." Illinois residents typically think of Indiana as being much cheaper for housing. The Bloomington rental market is the most expensive (or second) in the state. It's not cheap to rent here. The real estate market is also one of the most expensive in the state, and I've noticed prices going up a lot recently.

A final thought on the "college town" thing: I love it. The students bring an energy to our little city that you don't see in other places.

Old 04-18-2019, 03:26 PM

5 posts, read 14,470 times
I would LOVE to retire in Bloomington. It has everything!

Old 04-19-2019, 07:09 AM

1,705 posts, read 3,051,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown0934 View Post
Housing in the areas right around the university go for a premium. A non-university affiliated person is competing with rental investors and university employees, many who make really good money (they are vastly overpaid if you ask me). The one thing you need to understand is that our real estate taxes go mostly towards schools. We have property tax caps, and possibly some senior citizen type breaks, but I know local government units can put questions on the ballot asking to exceed the property tax circuit breaker. The city leans left, and likely the county to a lesser extent. Thus, politically, there is strong support for a big, large government structure. That will come with a cost. The city has the benefit of having the taxpayer subsidized university, which has allowed it to be one of those smaller Indiana cities that has done well over the last few decades. Someone who is local might have a better grasp of the tax situation, which I know can be an issue for those on a fixed income.

They are building a brand new hospital and the IU School of Medicine is expanding their Bloomington program. Indianapolis isn't that far away and while it might take many years, the interstate will eventually get built making trips fairly quick.

Most of the people I know from the area enjoy living in the smaller city with a variety of amenities usually found in larger metro areas (almost all the nationwide chains, lots of smaller mom and pop shops, etc.). Some live in more rural areas away from the city and that is what they want. The people I know are paid much less than their Midwest counterparts, yet historically they have stayed due to their stable job and family. However, in recent years, I've known some who have broke that whole "Indiana for life" mentality and have left. I've talked with some younger college aged folks who were raised in the area and all of them want out. I think a lot of the older folks my age or older, born and raised in the area, or at least central Indiana, were fine with making that their life, until they realized there was better opportunity elsewhere.

All that being said, Bloomington is going to offer great lower tier outdoor recreation (boating on the lake, hiking, camping), lots of stuff at the university in terms of sports and the arts. It offers lots of places to eat and has good shopping options. The location is a reasonable drive to some decent larger metro areas (Indy, Louisville, and Cincinnati). Outside of the political leanings, I really enjoy that area of south central Indiana.

Old 04-19-2019, 07:34 AM

34,812 posts, read 30,852,651 times
Bloomington is a great small city. IU is a large university with all that entails. Great dining, sports, culture. Better than average outdoor activities and scenery for Indiana.

Old 05-26-2019, 09:03 AM

6 posts, read 9,125 times
I highly recommend Bloomington. Be aware that it is very liberal, inclusive and welcoming. Republicans don't even run for local office. Housing prices are high but there is a steep gradient from the most wanted east side neighborhoods to less expensive neighborhoods to the west. There are some nice up and coming old neighborhoods where houses have been restored and there is a good sense of community. The downtown is thriving, centered on a charming and historic square a short walk from one of the most beautiful campuses. Classic stone buildings set in park-like or wooded open space. I delight in walking through the campus to the many arts and entertainment events. Take a look at an internet aerial map: more wooded hills than farmland, public forests, great hiking and boating right outside of town. The kids give the town a youthful vibe. Great summer and winter farmers markets are a friendly gathering space. Plus IU sports!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana