U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 05:15 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,408,524 times

Advertisements

What happened in a lot of places in Indiana are typical of what is being seen across the country. Manufacturing left in droves, and a lot of smaller towns like New Castle, Connersville, etc. suffered. You might read about how some warehouse or smaller scale industry has come back, but the issue isn't jobs so much as it is wages. The UAW wages helped spread around a lot of wealth. Another downside is that there is an ever dwindling number of UAW pensioners who stayed in these smaller towns and cities. Once they are gone, along with their money, I wonder if some of these places will see another downward fall.

As jobs left, kids went away to college, how people want to live, etc., the trend went toward urbanization because that is where jobs were being created. Those who were "left behind" in some of these smaller towns and cities have a very bleak outlook when it comes to their future. Issues of unintended pregnancy, depression, injuries from having to work more physically demanding jobs, all played a part in people turning to various drugs to escape. One main problem was that housing, energy, and other costs never really corrected to the new lower income of these areas.

There are some smaller towns that will work. You still might have some drug issues, but usually those towns within a reasonable drive to a major urban area (ie: Downtown Indy, downtown Louisville, downtown Cincinnati) will be a lot better than those farther out. Many people anymore want a short commute and some like me do consider a possible return to $4-$5/gallon gasoline.

S. Indiana is a lot better topography wise than the northern 2/3rds of the state. Look for places around Louisville or Cincinnati. As far as the sunshine, growing up I never really noticed a difference. After reading so many comments about it, I do somewhat get it, but it still doesn't affect me. I'm actually more light sensitive, so I guess it not being so bright might have been a positive for me. Even then, I think the lack of sunshine is overblown during the winter months. I doubt people would go out if it was more sunny outside when we get a week or so of temps (off and on) with a high of 20. The north central and east central parts of the state have wind, but nothing like Wyoming wind. There is enough wind though that companies feel windmills are worth the investment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 08:12 AM

1,361 posts, read 693,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_317 View Post
As far as the sunshine, growing up I never really noticed a difference. After reading so many comments about it, I do somewhat get it, but it still doesn't affect me. I'm actually more light sensitive, so I guess it not being so bright might have been a positive for me. Even then, I think the lack of sunshine is overblown during the winter months. I doubt people would go out if it was more sunny outside when we get a week or so of temps (off and on) with a high of 20. The north central and east central parts of the state have wind, but nothing like Wyoming wind. There is enough wind though that companies feel windmills are worth the investment.
There are people who get depressed on cloudy days. To listen to the radio in Denver, you'd think it was raining toads on any overcast day. But days that feel like it's 400 degrees are awesome.

People do tend to hybernate here in winter, and I can see why: it's really cold. Denver has a lot of winter days where you can go out in a t-shirt.

As for wind--Indy is a lot less windy than Colorado Springs.

Old 07-26-2019, 12:53 PM

184 posts, read 73,636 times
Pendleton is a nice small community located about 20 miles northeast of Indy. They have a nice park in town located next to a water fall. There's a pond in the center of the park with a walkway around it. Downtown is quaint. The Pendleton school system is excellent. I graduated from Pendleton 48 years ago so I can't comment on the drug situation. My niece's kids go to Pendleton and I've never heard them complain about drugs being a problem. Drugs are everywhere nowadays, though. I haven't lived in that area in 48 years either but my mom and other relatives live nearby. They love it there. The area has grown a lot since I lived there but it's still a nice area.

Auburn, Columbia City and Angola are all in northeastern Indiana and they are all nice small communities. They are near the larger city of Fort Wayne. I lived in that area for 33 years. Great area!

Indiana can be overcast and windy but it depends on the time of the year. The Autumns in Indiana are superb. That's when I truly miss my home state.

Old 07-27-2019, 06:52 AM

74 posts, read 40,665 times
I agree that Pendleton is a cool, nice little town. However as you mentioned it has seen growth since your youth and in the next 10 or so years I think that it will explode even more with growth. As Mt Vernon, Fortville and Noblesville fill up I think people will start building homes and living in Pendleton even more. With its access to I-69 and even I-70 (longer drive for that access), proximity to Hamilton County (see Carmel/Fishers area), access to downtown Indy, and other factors I think its primed to take off in growth significantly. But yes for now a great small town!

Old 07-28-2019, 10:16 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,408,524 times
The growth has areived in SW Madison County. There are now three housing additions going in near the State Road 13/I-69 interchange. Additionally many of the detached parcels in the area have been sold and already have homes built on them.

Old 07-29-2019, 07:22 AM

25,671 posts, read 19,077,442 times
Pendleton is getting a lot of spillover growth from its proximity to Indy. Small towns not adjacent to a major metro are struggling.

Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 AM

21,703 posts, read 31,568,690 times
Another vote for Nashville, a picturesque small town halfway between Bloomington and Columbus on the north end of beautiful Brown County State Park. While it's downtown is touristy (day-trippers largely, Saturdays most noticeably), a sign of a healthy economy and little chance of the socio-economic issues seen in other small towns lacking in commerce.

Old 08-06-2019, 08:17 AM

360 posts, read 922,353 times
I drove through Madison last week. What a beautiful town! Our wedding anniversary is August 24th, taking a long weekend and driving from Kansas City to check it out. Have been focused on West Virginia for retirement but Madison with it's proximity to Louisville looks like a winner if my wife likes it.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:48 PM

12 posts, read 6,101 times
Thanks for all the input! We will be looking into these places you named. Our biggest concern is safety and drugs for raising our children.

I first came across Madison and thought it sounded so nice but then saw the drug problem is very prevalent there? A quick Google will lead you to many many articles. Might not be a concern if you are retiring..

Old 08-12-2019, 07:53 AM

25,671 posts, read 19,077,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skgentry88 View Post
Thanks for all the input! We will be looking into these places you named. Our biggest concern is safety and drugs for raising our children.

I first came across Madison and thought it sounded so nice but then saw the drug problem is very prevalent there? A quick Google will lead you to many many articles. Might not be a concern if you are retiring..
I've never lived there, but did spend a lot of summer weekends down there at Clifty Falls, and I'd always stop through Madison and have dinner and I've been on several river tours.

I thought it was charming and it didn't seem the least bit unsafe compared to Indy. Rural areas and small towns often have some level of drug issues, but it's easily avoided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or