Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times

Advertisements

Ok, I've heard five definitions for this one. I'm talking about the imaginary line where things become less Midwestern and start to take on a more Southern feel in multiple areas (like topography, accents, architecture, food, etc).

Obviously there won't be a clear cut answer, and Indiana is generally a Midwestern state, so I'd like to get multiple thoughts on this. First, I've heard it refer to specifically the 3 counties on the Indiana side of the Louisville metro. The second definition refers to only for the southernmost counties in Indiana, like closer to the Ohio river. The third definition (and the one most people seem to agree on) consists of the entire state below Terre Haute and Martinsville. Another definition is Washington Street in Indianapolis (this seems to be more of a joke from Indy northsiders). Finally, the most humorous definition I've heard is everything south of the Toll Road (which would be like 98% of the state and mainly used over in Lake County.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
growing up near south bend, I always thought the twangs started south of US30 .... BUT, I know that's not the case. When I was a student at IU (which is definitely in southern Indiana), driving down 37 into martinsville, the topograhy changes dramatically because of the glacial retraction ... I guess draw a east west line through the state starting in Martinsville .... there ... that's southern Indiana.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
I like that definition. When you start to encounter the hills, you're pretty much "down there".

It's funny, because I thought the twangs really picked up around Martinsville...and the people closer to Kentucky had full on drawls. I went to school with this one girl from New Albany and she had a drawl...and it was kind of hot in a weird way.

The thickest drawl I've ever encountered in this state was from a young man from Richmond. You would swear he was from Tennessee if he didn't tell you otherwise otherwise.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
I don't know............ I went to school in, and visit often, Evansville. The only time I heard a twang is when I crossed the river into full-on southern twang in Kentucky. There is a pretty big difference between the two really.

*edit* --> note that I am just talking about the "twang" reference. Obviously Evansville falls well within Southern Indiana

Last edited by Toxic Toast; 06-22-2009 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-22-2009, 12:47 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,059,146 times
I think this is defines southern Indiana pretty well IMO

Old 06-22-2009, 01:04 PM

15 posts, read 61,869 times
I don't know about that map. Last time I went up to Bloomington, a lot of people asked about my accent. I grew up around Evansville and really don't think I have an accent until I go "up north" and someone points it out.

I have to share this funny story since we're on the topic. Once in Florida I was sitting by the hotel pool wearing an Indiana shirt. A couple came over and said, "Oh are you from Indiana? We're from South Bend!" I said yes, that I was from Evansville. The woman asked where that was and I told her way down at the very bottom of the state. The woman paused, looked at me, and said, "Well, you don't side like your from Indiana!" LOL!

Old 06-22-2009, 01:23 PM

I wonder if that couple you encountered were new to Indiana or if they just don't know their state very well.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:01 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,723,787 times
That's a pretty good map ... gdude! I wasn't far off.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:36 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,559,939 times
I grew up in Indy and always joked that Washington Street is where "southern" Indiana began, even though Hanna Ave. (the boundary between Center and Perry Twps) is actually the line of latitude for the Mason-Dixon line. However, I now consider "southern" Indiana and the American south to begin south of a line from Bloomington to Columbus.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
That's a pretty good map ... gdude! I wasn't far off.

Thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana