U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2008, 08:53 AM

453 posts, read 1,147,812 times
Default Confederate Flag

As I go about my town on my errands, I do tend to notice some Confederate Flags as I pass houses. There is freedom of speech and expression but I guess I just find it odd in today's society especially with the upcoming elecion later this year as a African American runs for Presidency. I assume these Flag flyers are voting for McCain or Hillary. Is that your guess too?
I mean the Civil War was 147 years ago and no one on earth these days was around to participate in it and are a few generations removed, but I guess it's weird to me to see it and how much affect that War had in our country that some resentment is still alive today to some degree. We do have our right to free speech and expression, so to me, I guess it doesn't bother me, but it just catches me off guard as I pass these houses that display them. Does anyone else feel this way?

Old 04-25-2008, 09:02 AM

1,848 posts, read 5,270,547 times
I agree - it's an outdated symbol, and definitely not one I would be proud of no matter my heritage.

The people that display them surely think they have valid reasons, but other than reminding most others of despicable rascist behavior of the past, I cannot imagine a good/rational reason to display it.

I guess the truth is that rascism is alive today and this exemplifies that. *sigh* I wish people would move on to doing more productive things with their time and mental energy.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:12 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,655,452 times
In Indiana? A Union state? Flying a confederate flag?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense .

The whole "southern heritage" excuse can't really fly up in the Hoosier state, now can it? I know what this is all about...

Old 04-25-2008, 10:54 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,322,964 times
I taught in Alabama for a while and it was quite interesting to me, being from NW Indiana to see the confederate flag flown everywhere. I would love to expound on my experinces there, but I don't have time. While I disagree with that flag being flown, I have also heard the opposite argument, and I can understand the right that people have to fly whatever flag they want. I just don't see why you would want to.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 AM

4,257 posts, read 4,196,010 times
Sounds like abusive use of the flag - especially since it was never a racist symbol to begin with, and it is ignorant to think it was.

Whats interesting is that no one really is resentful of the war itself - it was an honorable fight. People are resentful of what happened immediately afterwards, during Reconstruction (and the whole "if you take whatever you can from the South, the can't fight back again" mentality.), the bulk of racism came during that time in which the flag was banned, so how could it possibly be tied to racism, right? Unfortunately the KKK stole the symbol and made it their own, and now everyone assumes it is a racist symbol without knowing any history behind it. The Nazi's stole Norway's flag during World War II, but no one calls Norway genocidal maniacs...

Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 PM

17,594 posts, read 24,535,215 times
Wyatt ... was the flag in Indiana?

Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 PM

2,673 posts, read 4,350,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
In Indiana? A Union state? Flying a confederate flag?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense .
Hmmm, out here the closer you get to the Canadian border the more rebel flags you see. I don't think there is anything wrong with it. A little dissent is healthy now and then.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:45 PM

453 posts, read 1,147,812 times
Northern Indiana Domergirl.

I'm not offended by it because people have that freedom to display any flag I suppose. I mean, sports fans can display their flags, on their homes or on their cars, does that create any resentment if you are not a fan of the sports flag they are flying? Like if you pull up to tailgate at an Indy Colts game and you see people displaying the Colts flag on their cars, and then you see the opposing team flag, do you resent it then? I guess I blow it off and it doesn't really offend me, so I guess I don't have a problem with people's houses flying the Confederate Flag, but why does it catch my eye every time, but if I drive by an American Flag, it doesn't? Is it shock value that gets my attention at first? I can't figure it out. Does anyone do the same if they see a Confederate Flag? I guess we do assume they are racist people, don't we? I guess if the display it, that's fine but if they preach it and endorse and enforce it on others, then I have a problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:39 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,655,452 times
Well, it's your right to not be offended by it, but it's just as much my right to be offended by it, and what it represents to me. But of course, I forgot that the rules only apply one way...

Old 04-26-2008, 10:00 PM

25 posts, read 83,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Sounds like abusive use of the flag - especially since it was never a racist symbol to begin with, and it is ignorant to think it was.

Whats interesting is that no one really is resentful of the war itself - it was an honorable fight. People are resentful of what happened immediately afterwards, during Reconstruction (and the whole "if you take whatever you can from the South, the can't fight back again" mentality.), the bulk of racism came during that time in which the flag was banned, so how could it possibly be tied to racism, right? Unfortunately the KKK stole the symbol and made it their own, and now everyone assumes it is a racist symbol without knowing any history behind it. The Nazi's stole Norway's flag during World War II, but no one calls Norway genocidal maniacs...

Well, that's one of the most "creative" excuses for flying the Confederate flag I've ever seen, as well as being completely illogical. And, calling anyone who sees it for what it is, a racist statement, "ignorant" is just plain ignorant in itself.

How many non-black (i.e. not from Africa) people were enslaved in the Southern states just prior to and during the Civil War? To say that the Stars and Bars don't symbolize that sorry chapter in our history is to completely ignore reality. As a person of mixed race ancestory, who's lived with racism my entire life, I can tell you in no uncertain terms what that flag means: it means hatred, racism, intolerance, and reactionaryism.

Apologists for the "rebel cause" leave me cold. Yes, they have a right to display it. They even have the right to come up with some feeble excuse to defend it, beyond the First Amendment. But, as grindin noted: it seems to be okay for them to offend me but not okay for me to object.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana