Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:26 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times

Advertisements

I need some questions answered once again. Im in South Bend right now looking at the area. Our realtor took us on a 5 hour tour yesterday which was very helpful. As much as I appreciate everything she is doing for us, I still would like some other input from people in the area. Granger was not what I expected. Im used to traditional type neighborhoods and from what I saw of Granger, the subs seem isolated. Also not so sure about my son attending a high school that has 3,000 students. It almost seemed like a college campus. Im used to walking to the local store or eatery. Mishawaka seemed cute with their little downtown area but the guy at the front desk of our motel said that area has crime. Our realtor took us thru the SunnyMeade area in South Bend and I really liked how it looked but Ive heard bad things about South Bend's schools. As much as I like the idea of living in a traditional type neighborhood, should I forget that and go for Granger since it seems to have the least amount of crime and better schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 09:35 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Are you using the realtor I recommended? I'm really sorry about Granger. It does have the best schools though, unless you want to go private. Penn HS is huge, but it is good. Granger is suburban ... unfortunately. Did you voice your concerns with your realtor? If you are using the one I recommended, then she won't be offended at all. She wants to make sure you are in the right spot for you and your family. SB schools are iffy. Elkhart schools aren't much better. I'm not sure what to recommend as far as other communities. Valpo would be an hour commute, but the schools are huge and also very good. There is a nice neighorhood surrounding the downtown and it's safe. Plymouth is a nice small community with good schools. There is also significant growth in the Northridge and Fairfield school communites with people not wanting SB, Elkhart or Penn schools.

Hope that helps!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM

Yes I emailed her. She was very nice and replied she would get back with me but didnt. =( No biggie. The company my husband interviewed for set us up with a realtor. She is a really nice woman but sorry to say I have a tad mistrusting nature. lol. Maybe cuss I know too many shady realtors from back home. So I just kind of wanted a feel of what others say about this area now that I have seen it with my own eyes. The area u mentioned around south bend, do you know if that is the SunnyMeade neighborhood? it is adorable but my son's education comes first. So I think we might go with granger. I just dont know. We have to be down here in about a month. Everything is moving so fast!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:15 PM

Things move fast when relocating. We were in your place a year ago. I'm sorry, but I don't know Sunnymeade ... is it in the Penn district? Maybe if you could give me some of the major streets??? Go with your gut.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:59 PM

Sunnymeade if Im spelling it right, is located by downtown South Bend. Not too from Brown Mackie College or is it Mackie Brown. lol. Its hard to remember everything. I heard this area is very nice, low crime. BUT I think its South Bend schools. Decisions..decisions. Its enough to drive ya bonkers. Im thinking we might be better off with Mishawaka or Granger.

Old 05-15-2008, 04:48 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,922,722 times
We are also relocating to the South Bend area.
Sunnymeade is very nice, but having spent a LOT of time driving around the area, it seems to be a nice enclave surrounded by neighborhoods that are not so nice. It is served by South Bend public schools, so many families go private. If that's not an option for you, then I'd have to agree that Granger is your best bet.
We could not find a traditional neighborhood with walkable shops and no crime concerns in South Bend itself, so we ruled it out. We are looking in neighborhoods near Knollwood Country Club, in Granger and Niles, Michigan (literally right across the state line).

Old 05-15-2008, 04:52 PM

The taxes in Michigan, I still believe, are higher. But there are many people who do live in Michigan and work in SB. I think in terms of schools, you'd be best to go to Granger. It is unfortunate though, that you will be driving everywhere.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
We are also relocating to the South Bend area.
Sunnymeade is very nice, but having spent a LOT of time driving around the area, it seems to be a nice enclave surrounded by neighborhoods that are not so nice. It is served by South Bend public schools, so many families go private. If that's not an option for you, then I'd have to agree that Granger is your best bet.
We could not find a traditional neighborhood with walkable shops and no crime concerns in South Bend itself, so we ruled it out. We are looking in neighborhoods near Knollwood Country Club, in Granger and Niles, Michigan (literally right across the state line).
I agree, seems like Sunnymeade is the sunny spot in a questionable area. We have to do public schools due to budget. I didnt care for the congested traffic around Granger. It looks like they making some roads larger due to the growth. My budget is tight around 140k so Knollwood would prolly not be an option. Niles is nice but I know that Michigan taxes are far higher. My realtor almost fell over when I told her how much I was paying for my house in Michigan. Its almost half in Indiana.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:49 AM

The south bend school system is still in flux due to some major turmoil caused by a former superintendent. I'm not sure how Mishawaka public schools are, but you could ask.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:50 AM

My husband asked several people at his new job how they felt about the area. Everyone has their say so its confusing. Penn schools are good but there are a lot of kids that attend the schools. We have been told Mishawaka schools are good cuss the class sizes are smaller. Im used to living in area where kids walk to school and my son's current school only has about 200 students. Im not used to the whole isolated subs etc. So this is a big change. But I do have to say, the people we have met in the South Bend area are awesome!! They are so nice, I found myself being suspicious. Which is terrible I know but I guess Ive lived in Detroit too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana