Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 09:29 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
It's funny because we were actually seriously considering moving to Tampa for a while. We are now looking at the Lafayette area mostly due to this church plant. We like Indiana as a whole but the midwest has it's downsides for sure.

Florida wouldn't actually be such a bad place to live if so many people weren't also moving there at the same time. We love the idea of living in Florida but once we started figuring in the astronomical cost of housing and insurance and all the bugs, snakes, gators, fire ants, and other critters (as well as how crowded many areas are getting). We decided it was best to reconsider the "move to florida" idea. Many people are still doing it (obviously) and loving their experience. For our family I'm not sure it would be the best fit.

I'm not saying Lafayette will be the "best" fit, but it (as of right now) probably would be better than Florida.
The good thing about living in the Midwest, with a lower cost of living, you can save up and take nice vacations..... to places like Florida! I (a female) am a nature lover and insects, snakes, gators and other critters don't bother me so much. It was the quality of the people, the high crime, the attitude of "if I can see it, I can take it". I had people come into my yard and pick all the citrus from my trees. I had women, with their children, pick lychees from my tree. I had my house broken into three times with four other attempts..... all while I was at work. Someone attempted to steal my car. Someone dug up a plant that was in my yard and took it. I had items taken at work. I did not live in a gated community. I was not retired until the last 18 months of living in Florida. I had to deal with a long commute among the wildest, craziest drivers you could imagine. I left home at 4:50 am to avoid the rush hour. I left work at 2:00 pm.

Being retired and living in a gated community - well that is the best way to feel safe and secure. The outrageous cost of homeowners' and automobile insurance was one of the reasons for my move. I am only speaking for Miami-Dade County. I lived 12 miles inland but my homeowners was $4000.00+ yearly, the last few years that I lived there. My auto insurance (State Farm) was up to $2000.00 yearly on a Honda Civic and with an accident/ticket free record. There are so many uninsured drivers in the area that the insured people/cars are paying the price.

Police traffic control: forget about it! They have more important things to take care of like drug dealing, break-ins, murders, etc. I lived in Miami-Dade for 43 years. The first 10 years or so, all was good. It was the 'honeymoon' period. Life changed after Hurricane Andrew. The southern half of Miami Dade lost nearly 40% of their middle class - they moved out of the county. Rental areas went Section 8. Places went downhill fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2022, 07:26 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,076,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
I had a big laugh and am still laughing about your comment regarding me living like royalty!

You may be asking why did I leave the Miami area? Well, I did not 'fit' in. Here is a description of Miami:
To be clear, I was never talking about anyone particular when I said people coming to Indiana with wealth can live like royalty. Just pointing out a fact. As far as your comments on Miami, all I know is that a lot of people love that area. Not sure if I would though. Also, I said that you came from "a state that has a lot more to offer than Indiana..." I still stand by that. The State of Florida, at least to me, has offered a lot more than Indiana. I base this mostly as someone who is outdoor recreation focused.

Your personal reasons for leaving Miami are definitely valid. That being said, you must have had some good reason(s) to hang around for 41+ years. Miami has always had a higher cost of living from everything I've ever read or heard. It seems in only recent years that other major Florida metros (the coastal areas for sure) have started seeing housing cost issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I've found South Florida to be really nice, and I've been spending more time down that way of late. Yes, traffic is crazy down there. Traffic is crazy a lot of places, not just Miami.
The more I visit other areas of the country, from more rural to metro, the more I see why the Midwest suffers overall in terms of growth and keeping people here. As family units get smaller and smaller, and thus big extended family units shrink as well, I could see the Midwest suffer. Family is usually a big driver of why people stay in a region. Immigration might be the only thing that keeps our metro areas growing, along with people continuing to leave smaller towns and cities within the state to the larger metro areas.

The only reason I'm here now, in my 40s, is family. This if followed by personal economics (it is cheaper here than other places, but not as cheaper as it was in the past), and our current careers/jobs are stable. It is fun watching my younger relatives grow up, going to their school and sporting events, etc..

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
The good thing about living in the Midwest, with a lower cost of living, you can save up and take nice vacations..... to places like Florida!
This is one benefit, but it isn't as great as it used to be.

The biggest problem is that now that people don't stay with one employer for very long, vacation benefits aren't like what they used to be for many people. Unless one is getting a position where they can negotiate their time off, a lot of hourly corporate positions give folks usually two weeks off, maybe an additional week of sick time (or lump it all together, but dealing with kid issues can quickly eat into time off hours). This is why there is a such a push on the national level for a European style vacation/time-off package, which is usually around four weeks.

Also, the whole lower cost of living aspect is drastically changing in Indiana, especially near the major metro areas. I'm not sure about the Ft. Wayne or Evansville type areas, but in Indy, housing prices are going crazy, and rent has also reach absurd levels. We now have proof that a lot of public and private real estate companies are buying in middle to upper class areas of many mid-sized metro areas and turning what were really designed to be owner occupied homes into rentals. This is causing a huge shortage of homes, driving up the cost of other homes, driving up rents, etc.. The fact that some folks are moving here with higher than average IT jobs now that they are working fully remote is another issue.

Old 02-22-2022, 04:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,126,453 times
I was and am very outdoor recreation focused. I spent many, many hours hiking in the pine rocklands found in Everglades National Park. ENP was my stress reliever, wild taste of nature. I had friends who worked in the park so I had access to many areas not easily reached by the general public. I had a love of nature when I was growing up in Indiana. Hiking and camping at Turkey Run State Park. Visiting historical areas with my parents. Going sledding, swimming, playing intramural softball at Purdue. Dendrology field trips, collecting insects for my entomology class. I found a real lack of love of nature in south Florida. Visit ENP?? There are bugs and snakes out there - said many people who live in the area. I saw people who were afraid, afraid!, as they walked through Fairchild's butterfly conservatory.

I worked in the horticulture department of Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden. Part of my responsibilities included the plant sales which meant I did lots of propagating, promoting (writing, taking photos, uploading web content, etc.). Through the 41+ years I had enumerable responsibilities and learning opportunities. It was interesting, challenging, involving both working with plants and people (summer interns, etc.). The pay wasn't very good but we had great benefits, including 22 paid days' vacation each year. I wrote articles for the garden's publication, the Miami Herald and one of my articles appeared in the Chicago Tribune.

In the last 30 years or so, exotic snakes (pythons) are moving north from ENP and south to the Florida Keys. Pythons are good swimmers. Other reptiles, including aggressive, large lizards such as tegus and Nile monitors are in Florida. I saw a couple pythons while I was hiking in ENP. I was fortunate to see rattlesnakes, coral snakes and pygmy rattlers, too.

I got tired of the endless, stifling heat (day and night) and wicked thunderstorms (May through November). I got tired of the trash blowing around due to the lazy - a@@ people (is it the heat?). I got tired of seeing cars and boats parked on front lawns. I got tired of the windows covered with bars (keep thieves out) and the homes that had hurricane shutters on all the windows all summer. The stray dogs - don't get me started. The rude, aggressive people from the northeast, moving down there with their attitudes and poor driving skills. The last time I was at a beach was in 1994. The water is hot in the summer, the drive to and from the beach - too much of a hassle for me.

Indiana is a calm, polite, comfortable place for me.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:10 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,888,515 times
Believe it or not the nicest and least aggressive people we have come across in our US travels were in Lafayette. Better than Bloomington. Better than Indy.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:13 PM

60 posts, read 57,841 times
I like living here. The economy is strong and growing and there is a solid middle class. West Lafayette has extremely low crime and Lafayette for the most part isn’t too bad either. There is a nice and diverse selection of restaurants. Reasonably good parks for short hiking or walks, in particular the Horticulture Park and the Celery Bog in West Lafayette and the Clegg Garden in Lafayette. Plus it’s an easy drive to Indy or Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana