U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 07:56 AM

6 posts, read 22,740 times

Advertisements

There are many areas around South Bend to live to...in addition to the ones listed above, if you are intreated in a smaller town, there's Bremen, Wakarusa, Nappanee,
Bremen, being the closest to South Bend, but all with in a 30-40 min drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2009, 12:56 PM

5,703 posts, read 15,494,170 times
I will throw my two cents in. I relocated here over a year ago from the Detroit burbs. I discovered finding a decent rental was pretty tough. We ended up renting an awful house in Mishawaka. It was nicely located by the river but the house was a nightmare and so was the landlord. We seriously considered Mishawaka as there are a lot very charming older homes but I just couldnt get past the blight. There are charming streets and then BAM, you turn onto a street that looks like hillbilly hell. The nice areas seem to be pockets thrown here or there.

There is a lot more crime in Mishawaka than people will admit too. We had several home invasions by us. My son did one year in the Mishawaka school system and I wasnt impressed. It wasnt so much the teachers (my son had a wonderful teacher) but parent involvement was really low. I discovered this when I went to the parent teacher conferences and my son's teacher was elated that I actually showed up. Teen pregnancy is an big issue and if you look at graduation rates in Mishawaka, it averages around 49%. Again, I do not think its the system as I think its more about parent involvement. There is a lot of low income households in Mishawaka and when you have parents trying to make ends meet, working two jobs, education is put on the back burner. Its a depressing cycle.

There really isnt a lot of options here especially if you are used to living in a larger metro area. We chose Granger because of the school system and the neighborhoods. There is a huge misconception that "rich" people live in Granger. Most uneducated folks think only of Knollwood or the million dollar subs. There are plenty of subs in Granger that range from 110k-140k. The property taxes vary greatly and again another misconception is that property taxes are much higher in Granger. We only pay a 1,000 a yr, which was pretty comparable to the homes we looked at in Mishawaka. It is true that Granger subs mostly dont have sidewalks. That did bug me but we found a sub that does have sidewalks and street lights. Realistically though, when we lived in Mishawaka, the sidewalks (by the house we lived in) were right next to the street curb. In the winter, they would get covered by the snow plow. Most people dont even shovel their walks anyway. My son is attending the Penn school system and he is thriving. The staff made him feel very welcome and there is a large range of academics as well after school groups that are interesting. I wish you luck on finding your new home.

Overall, I do not think we will stay in Indiana if we can help it. There are a lot of things I simply dont care for. I think once my son graduates from high school we will move on.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:04 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
hey fallingwater ... I'm sorry that things aren't as expected. Truly I am.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
hey fallingwater ... I'm sorry that things aren't as expected. Truly I am.
Ya know what is kind of funny? It did meet the expectations I wanted. I wanted a nice home, a good school system for my son and I wanted my husband to like his job. Bam. Mission accomplished. I guess what I didnt think about is me. Im pretty easy going, make friends easily and adapt well to change. So I figured I'd be okay. But now that time has passed, I realize this environment is really not me. So in an essence I kind of learned more about myself in this whole process.

Someone posted that women in this area are mean. I hate to generalize but well...its kind of true. I dont see in it stores or anything to do with customer service. I actually find the customer service in the stores around here to be pretty stelar. But in terms of trying to connect with people, the women I have met, dont want to give me the time of day! I had big issues with our realtor. From day one I got the feeling this woman didnt like me. Im pretty good at reading people from the get go (might be from my previous social work background). It was driving me crazy and I kept telling my husband that I just had the feeling our realtor didnt like me or respect me. He blew me off. When we signed the paperwork for our house, I was reading something and she snatched out of my hand (actually giving me a paper cut) and handed it to my husband. She would only look at him when she spoke and would ask him, what he wanted. We had big issues with her till the deal was done. She felt all the decisions were up to my husband, and him only. I think the whole thing stunned him cuss he will readily admit I run the roost. lol. So he had to have a talk with our realtor and basically let her know she needs to stop being a *****.

We got thru that and Ive tried to be friendly with the women in the neighborhood. They dont and wont give me the time of day. Do I have the plague or something? Its starting to give me a complex! Ive been looking for a job for some time. Im almost done with my degree which will be basically worthless as there hardly any jobs for what I went to school for (something creative, dont want to give myself away, Ive learned this is a small town). Ive seen 3 job ads in the whole year and half since Ive arrived. I did get a job interview for a position that I was qualified for (general office work). I showed up and immediately realized I was over dressed (which surprised me as this was a very professional work place). The women seemed nice but more focused on my shoes. When they read my resume and saw I was from Granger, the eye brows went up. With so much bickering on news web blogs and others about how snooty Granger is, Im seriously starting to wonder, is that going to be a problem for me finding a job?!! I have contacted several organizations about volunteering. I was told they had enough but thanks anyway. Hubby told me to get out and find a group or something to join. So I find a small creative group that shares artwork. I walk in and got cat eyes from the three women running the group. I let it go and continued to be friendly. We all examined each others work and when I made a comment about the one woman's piece, I said, oh that is really nice. I see you used such and such treatment. She got snappy and said NO I DIDNT! I didnt bother saying Oh excuse me I went to school for this. I know how you did it.

So anyway...it felt good to vent a little. Tomorrow is a new day and I will keep trying to find my place here. If not, Im getting the hell out of dodge when my son goes off to college.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,746 times
to fallingwater,
I read with interest your thoughts on moving to this area. I'm retired (which gives you an idea that I'm not a 20-something) and was born and raised in the area. After high school I moved to Chicago and lived in those suburbs for a few years. I've traveled on business and for pleasure and always come back feeling like we've been cheated here. SB is the pits, Mishawaka slightly better. Shopping and restaurants - even when we *finally* get a new decent restaurant it is built ergonomically inconvenient and retail stores often do not carry enough selections. We go to Ft. Wayne or Indy to shop (or Chicago). It's ridiculous. We had to move to Bremen to find a decent school system several years ago and it's been good for the kids. And although I appreciate the feeling of safety here and the friendly people, and we're grateful to be here, it's still... small-town. Even though I've grown up and lived in the area finding those friendly women whom you do not feel are "sizing you up" is a rarity indeed. I'm so sorry for your experience and can certainly understand. We "old-timers" have often had the same experiences. I was amazed at how friendly and open people were on a recent New England tour; I wanted to move there!! I wish you the best m'dear.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinequanon View Post
to fallingwater,
I read with interest your thoughts on moving to this area. I'm retired (which gives you an idea that I'm not a 20-something) and was born and raised in the area. After high school I moved to Chicago and lived in those suburbs for a few years. I've traveled on business and for pleasure and always come back feeling like we've been cheated here. SB is the pits, Mishawaka slightly better. Shopping and restaurants - even when we *finally* get a new decent restaurant it is built ergonomically inconvenient and retail stores often do not carry enough selections. We go to Ft. Wayne or Indy to shop (or Chicago). It's ridiculous. We had to move to Bremen to find a decent school system several years ago and it's been good for the kids. And although I appreciate the feeling of safety here and the friendly people, and we're grateful to be here, it's still... small-town. Even though I've grown up and lived in the area finding those friendly women whom you do not feel are "sizing you up" is a rarity indeed. I'm so sorry for your experience and can certainly understand. We "old-timers" have often had the same experiences. I was amazed at how friendly and open people were on a recent New England tour; I wanted to move there!! I wish you the best m'dear.
Now why do I find the nicest Hoosiers on line? I am still trying to give this area a chance. SB is a disappointment for sure cuss I look at this area with the parks, the river, having ND in town,....this area could really be a happening place with some creativity and foresight. I like the eddy street project and the idea of expanding it but sheesh...the crime in SB is pretty bad in that area. The whole city needs a major over haul. Thank you for your kind words. Enjoy retirement and keep traveling! New England is so rich in history. Hubby and I went to MA year ago and it was awesome.

Old 10-23-2009, 11:26 PM

619 posts, read 1,444,803 times
The problem with South Bend is the reputation it has always had. However, there have been many strides in the recent years and months to overhaul the city. In fact, the new Innovation Park (collaboration with ND) and Ignition Park, which are located in downtown South Bend and the Notre Dame campus, will be a big boost to South Bend once things get going (5-10 years). The problem is, that South Bend has been stagnant the last couple years and now we are just starting to see the progress that was so badly needed. With having Notre Dame, you would think South Bend would be an ideal college town, and hopefully we will see that with the Eddy Street and other developments. I was just thinking, I wouldh hate to see South Bend if they didn't have Notre Dame...

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 63,701 times
Default Best Choice for move, South Ben or cross the Border?

Hi,
My husband is due to start work in the South Bend area shortly and we are unfamiliar with the area. We have been advised to move to the Granger area but viewing your posts and house prices I am not completely convinced (especially as, will there be a resell value...if the general area around it is deteriorating?)
Also I am keen to have a horse or three But am on a budget (max of 400,000 ..perhaps!) Is it possible to be in a relatively good area with acreage, a great public school and affordable prices or am I asking the impossible?!

The alternatives that I am looking at are Michiana, New Buffalo, Berrien Springs.. Any good advise would really be appreciated.

Thanks.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:43 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
look into madison twp. It feeds into the Penn schools and is very rural. You should be able to find a sizeable property in your pricerange.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,202,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyeverafter View Post
Hi,
My husband is due to start work in the South Bend area shortly and we are unfamiliar with the area. We have been advised to move to the Granger area but viewing your posts and house prices I am not completely convinced (especially as, will there be a resell value...if the general area around it is deteriorating?)
Also I am keen to have a horse or three But am on a budget (max of 400,000 ..perhaps!) Is it possible to be in a relatively good area with acreage, a great public school and affordable prices or am I asking the impossible?!

The alternatives that I am looking at are Michiana, New Buffalo, Berrien Springs.. Any good advise would really be appreciated.

Thanks.
I would definitely suggest living on the Michigan side of the border as opposed to Indiana (where Granger and Madison twp. are located). Michiana, New Buffalo, Berrien Springs, Niles, and Edwardsburg are all great areas within 25-30 minutes of South Bend. Don't go to Granger unless you like pretentiously-named gated subdivisions full of cookie-cutter McMansions, as well as a myriad of strip malls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or