U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 AM

15 posts, read 63,684 times

Advertisements

Hi.
Madison twp? I googled this and got Ohio? Where exactly had you in mind? Schools, area etc?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:48 AM

619 posts, read 1,443,742 times
Madison Township in St. Joseph County is the southeast portion of the county. It is very rural and just south of South Bend and Mishawaka. This area feeds into the Penn-Harris-Madison school district, which has one of the biggest high schools in Indiana. (about 3,000 students). However, the schools in Madison Township are excellent. Madison Elementary School and Grissom Middle School are great as well as Elm Road Elementary. However, they all feed into one high school which includes kids from Granger to Mishawaka to Madison Township. It is a massive school district in terms of boundaries. To give you an idea, it takes about 30 minutes to get from one side of the district to the other, which is why there are so many students.

Old 12-30-2009, 04:20 PM

17,698 posts, read 34,851,784 times
I love madison elementary! it's a great country school with a wonderful playground and a woods with trails adjacent.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:12 PM

Default long drive to South Bend from the Michiana NB area?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Also, if you're looking for rural, you'll find plenty of it around Niles, Michiana, New Buffalo, and Berrien Springs. Plenty of places for horses around there. The city of Michiana itself is very nice, but very upper class. It has a lot of older, established, beautiful homes, and it is right on the beach. New Buffalo is very touristy. Berrien Springs and Niles are more down to earth, but still very safe and livable.

Housing prices are falling everywhere, and Michigan is no exception. Michiana would probably be your best bet for a stable housing price, as it is a very established are with few new homes.

Well I have been looking some more and have found some great prices around Michiana and New Buffalo, considering the benefits of the beach and neighborhoods (I guess, because I have only driven through briefly!)
I must admit that you do seem to get youre moneys worth in regards to potential resell value.
I am just stressed about the travel distance to South Bend every day, any chance there will ever be a regular train service from New Buffalo to SB if they clean South Bend up... I wonder?
AND is it worth the drive?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:18 PM

Hi ,
Any knowledge of the New Buffalo school system?
Seems they have state of the art equipment and funding but what about the actual standards, have you heard any feedback from real people?

Old 01-05-2010, 03:50 PM

Ok being forced to look at SB again by hubby . I have google mapped an area near ND across the river on Hudson Avenue. Woodward Avenue. He thinks it will be safe to walk to and from work! Help!! Any opinions?!!!

Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM

5,990 posts, read 11,196,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyeverafter View Post
Well I have been looking some more and have found some great prices around Michiana and New Buffalo, considering the benefits of the beach and neighborhoods (I guess, because I have only driven through briefly!)
I must admit that you do seem to get youre moneys worth in regards to potential resell value.
I am just stressed about the travel distance to South Bend every day, any chance there will ever be a regular train service from New Buffalo to SB if they clean South Bend up... I wonder?
AND is it worth the drive?
The South Shore goes out that way, you can pick it up in Michigan City and take it to South Bend. Takes about 30 minutes. New Buffalo schools are good. The drive is really not all that bad, just 25-30 minutes.

Last edited by northstar22; 01-05-2010 at 05:30 PM..

Old 01-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyeverafter View Post
Ok being forced to look at SB again by hubby . I have google mapped an area near ND across the river on Hudson Avenue. Woodward Avenue. He thinks it will be safe to walk to and from work! Help!! Any opinions?!!!
That area is sketchy. It's not horrible, but it's not really nice either. A lot of large, older homes, diverse population, moderate crime rate. The area immediately south of that neighborhood is really ghetto. Generally, the further north you get in South Bend, the better area you will be in. Also, the areas really close to Notre Dame are nice. Personally, I would avoid the city of South Bend.

I'm from Michigan, so most of my experience is with areas north of the border. I honestly don't know much about Mishawaka beyond the mall, and I doubt that you would be interested in Granger.

If being really close to South Bend is important, you can live in Niles, Michigan. It's just across the border, and certain areas of the south side are only 5 minutes from downtown South Bend - closer than Granger or Mishawaka. Also, it's safe, has good schools, and still retains some of the small-town charm while being convenient to South Bend. It's also in Michigan, which is a big plus for me, but then again I'm biased.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:08 PM

619 posts, read 1,443,742 times
Living in the city of South Bend is not all that bad! The outlying portions of the city are decently nice, just don't live in any part of the immediate downtown. Mishawaka and Granger don't have many bad spots at all either so those would be optional areas as well. From what i've heard, Niles has a bad school system. However, I have no personal proof of this. Might be something to look into.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdr18 View Post
Living in the city of South Bend is not all that bad! The outlying portions of the city are decently nice, just don't live in any part of the immediate downtown. Mishawaka and Granger don't have many bad spots at all either so those would be optional areas as well. From what i've heard, Niles has a bad school system. However, I have no personal proof of this. Might be something to look into.
There are nice areas in the city of South Bend, but, as you said, they are more so the outlying areas.

There are two school systems in Niles. Brandywine, which covers the south side of town, is better rated than Niles Community Schools, which serves the north side. Also, Michigan has school choice, so you can send your kids to Edwardsburg, which is supposed to be a really good system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or