U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:55 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,873,444 times

Advertisements

I thought horses were going to be a consideration ...

I still say you should look into Granger for the best resale value, and there are plenty of rural settings within the granger school system.

Have you talked to a realtor yet? I have the name of a terrific one in the area if you want me to private message it to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2010, 07:40 AM

2,462 posts, read 7,899,551 times
Not sure where hubby will be working, but right now there are about two feet of snow on the ground, with more coming down. Unless every property owner between your home and the workplace is good about shoveling, walking to work is iffy.
The previous poster was right about the neighborhoods south of ND, especially those across the river. Even close to campus, some spots are extremely sketchy. The university has been buying up property and building very nice homes for its employees, but just one block away is really ramshackle. Most students don't even want to live there.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 AM

15 posts, read 63,706 times
Ha! Lol about the walk through snow, men and there machismo! I can see where the town may become better at some point, if investment is made and property continues to get the much needed face lift... but having lived all over the world I know how volatile some places can be, especially when there's an economc crisis to egg it on...so I will humour him and try for a short term rental for the summer near ND and seriously look for something where noone will hopefully care to riot..unless they want to get their foot stuck in a horse patty or three
I still am hopefull for the schools though...is the Adams magnet worth a try/ safety wise?
I think the kids can audition for it and dont necessarily have to live in the area?

Old 01-19-2010, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 63,706 times
Hi,
Yes for me, my ultimate desire, is for the horses, but as usual, and of course, one must put the family first :/ and that includes the least time consuming, most sensible investment. I am sure I can find perfection, I have seen some thing advertised in the Granger area already and its old looking but has acreage..but it says only for sale and I don't know at this point if jumping in at the deep end is wise, so please feel free to email me that agents info, I hope to be Nope not pretentious looking at all and nice and private!!) there in the next few weeks to check some stuff out myself. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2010, 03:16 PM

2,462 posts, read 7,899,551 times
It's going to take a long time for the South Bend school system to improve. I know some folks who send their kids to the IB program at Adams, but, seriously, unless your husband is absolutely, positively committed to walking to work, there are LOTS of nice places you can live, with completely acceptable public schools, that will give your husband an extremely short commute. We live in Granger, and can get to the ND campus in 12 minutes. Maybe 15 when the traffic is really heavy.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,853 times
Was born and raised here in South Bend though spent alot of weekends up in Osceola while growing up. The housing market right now in the area is rather open just depends on your budget. For properties in the 75k range on down if you're looking for a yard it may best to look in the South Bend area as Mishawaka with the properties I looked at in our recent house hunt showed that for the 50-75k range you're going to most likely put alot of money upgradeing a house and not have much of a yard in terms of Mishawaka property.

Granger is a rueal community which obviously no city water. You have to rely on septic systems to get your water supply and have to rely on the accuracy of how well the previous owners have taken care of them. Also Granger is more directed for the high end of middle class in terms of income.

Taxes from my experience are lower in South Bend with Mishawaka being second and Granger third.

Elkhart if you're willing to look over there is a very depressed city atm. They had the RV industry and when that collapsed so did the economy.

I grew up on the East Side a block away from Adams High School and where River Park starts. Where I've settled down to begin and raise my family is the South Side of South Bend in a secluded area by Ewing.

Yes South Bend has alot of crime but it's always the bad apples that ruin the bunch. For the most part you mind your own business then you are left alone.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:33 PM

4 posts, read 20,307 times
Default Thumbs down to Niles!

ORIGINAL QUOTE FROM KAZOOPILOT:

"If being really close to South Bend is important, you can live in Niles, Michigan. It's just across the border, and certain areas of the south side are only 5 minutes from downtown South Bend - closer than Granger or Mishawaka. Also, it's safe, has good schools, and still retains some of the small-town charm while being convenient to South Bend. It's also in Michigan, which is a big plus for me, but then again I'm biased. [/quote]"

Yes, you are biased Kazoopilot!!
I looked at the South Bend Indiana areas and then Niles after reading some of YOUR posts here. IMO, NILES IS A RUNNED DOWN TOWN with only a few blocks of charm in the historic district. I spent a few hours driving the area and getting out to talk with the people. Please keep your strong biases off this thread, so as to help us out of towners that are relocating to get more objective information. Thank you.

Last edited by heartnsoul; 03-09-2011 at 02:39 PM.. Reason: UNCLEAR

Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 PM

619 posts, read 1,445,127 times
Yes, I would agree. Niles is alright, nothing to write home about. I would recommend the northern fringes of South Bend, Granger, and almost anywhere in Mishawaka. In addition, consider Osceola or the many subdivisions by the Elkhart and St. Joseph County lines.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,186 times
I belong to First Presbyterian Church, downtown. We're getting a new minister August 1 and I'm really looking forward to it! Come worship with us anytime!

Old 07-29-2013, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,486 times
I really appreciated every body's post in regards to Granger/Mishawaka. I realize these postings are few years old and things might have changed a lot since then. We are looking to move from Toronto, to Mishawaka, as will be joining the new hospital as an internist.
My background is Indian-but grew up in Toronto all my life and now making a decision to move to Mishawaka, so that my wife can be close to her mother.
I don't know which area is more welcoming in terms of given our enthnicity.
I'm considering Granger, for my girls and I don't the economy of Mishawaka, Granger etc?
I would appreciated if any of you can help me guide to this new city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or