U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,762 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving to the Brownsburg, IN area. Can someone tell me in their opinion which schools would be better for my 2 Autistic children? Brownsburg or Avon? Thanks for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 07:55 AM

1,099 posts, read 2,387,769 times
I have worked in the Avon schools as a Substitute teacher, both in the elementary schools's moderate to severe disabilty class and at the Intermediate school in the mild class. I have been very impressed with the classes I helped out in. In each of the classes, I was struck by the amount of personalized attention the teachers were able to give, the tools and activites used to help each child, the care I saw in the faces of the teachers.

I don't have any experience with the Brownsburg schools, and I don't do much subbing anymore now that my real estate business is picking up. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to DM me.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:44 AM

18,268 posts, read 3,173,744 times
you really should research both school corporations.Central indiana school corportations dont have the best track record when dealing with Autistic Children. about a month ago police in Carmel where called to a middle school and tazed a 12 year old Autistic boy because he was giving the school a problem. so research both school corporations and report to us with your findings and maybe we can help from there.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:28 PM

2,082 posts, read 2,892,190 times
This link might be a good starting point for you. If you call the number listed they might be able to give you some further information of about parent groups that can assist you.

IRCA Table of Contents or Navigation Page for Access Autism (http://www.iidc.indiana.edu/irca/fmain1.html - broken link)

I know in Bloomington there is a support group for families with autistic children. I believe there are other groups in other parts of the state. IMO those families would be the absolute best source of information about schools and school districts. I know enough about the IEP process and special needs children via a nephew to know that other parents with similarly abled children are the greatest resource. They can also give you LOTS of tips about how to get what you want/need for your child despite the reluctance on the part of many districts to do so because of financing issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana