U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 42,414 times

Advertisements

I'm going to get out of debt and move back to Indiana -- not Bloomington, though. I like Bloomington, but I really like Indy. How's Indy? I visited a couple times, but visiting is nothing compared to a couple years of living. Is there a lot of crime up there in Indy? Are the rents cheap? Is there ample opportunity for jobs in Indy? That's all I really need to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2006, 07:17 PM

59 posts, read 290,900 times
If you don't have a family I don't recommend living in any of the areas like Carmel or Fishers. It is a very family oriented community and that is great, but if you don't have kids you will feel like an outsider...like me. I am 30+ married and no kids, and I was never welcomed in my neighborhood at all. We lived in Carmel.

Whoever is asking about the weather, I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. However if you are coming from CA or FL or some place warm, be prepared to freeze your you know what off in the winter. The winter is long and grey. The snow can be beautiful but gets old after many months of it. Temps can hover around the teens for days and even get into the negatives.

Old 12-01-2006, 05:21 AM

17,698 posts, read 34,865,834 times
I always tell my husband that if we didnt' have kids, we'd be miserable here (Fishers). But again, if we didn't have kids, we'd still be living in a condo in downtown Chicago and I'd still be working. But don't worry, even though we have 3 kids, I'm still not accepted by some folks here ... my politics don't mesh with theirs. I'm an oddball.

Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 PM

59 posts, read 290,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I always tell my husband that if we didnt' have kids, we'd be miserable here (Fishers). But again, if we didn't have kids, we'd still be living in a condo in downtown Chicago and I'd still be working. But don't worry, even though we have 3 kids, I'm still not accepted by some folks here ... my politics don't mesh with theirs. I'm an oddball.

Domergurl, we left two years ago and I have never been happier. My politics and lack of religion and no kids, made me an isolated soul. Carmel is the only place I have lived (and I have lived many places) where I honestly can say I did not make one friend in two years. That speaks volumes for me.

Old 12-25-2006, 10:06 PM

28,894 posts, read 15,973,677 times
Unhappy No singles scene in Fishers or Carmel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybell View Post
If you don't have a family I don't recommend living in any of the areas like Carmel or Fishers. It is a very family oriented community and that is great, but if you don't have kids you will feel like an outsider...like me. I am 30+ married and no kids, and I was never welcomed in my neighborhood at all. We lived in Carmel.
Oh, my, that's not good news for me, then. I'm over 40, not married and no kids, so I'm sure I'd REALLY be like a fish out of water, and would probably be viewed with suspicion. That's too bad that you weren't made to feel welcome in Carmel. I was investigating Fishers and Carmel because they're suburban areas similar to what I grew up in here in Southern California, and I happen to find those kind of areas appealing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sallybell View Post
Whoever is asking about the weather, I wouldn't worry about tornadoes. However if you are coming from CA or FL or some place warm, be prepared to freeze your you know what off in the winter. The winter is long and grey. The snow can be beautiful but gets old after many months of it. Temps can hover around the teens for days and even get into the negatives.
In another thread, I asked if there were any transplanted Californians living in Indiana who have successfully made the adjustment, ESPECIALLY the winter weather. At least tornadoes can be predicted and tracked; earthquakes still can't be predicted with any degree of reliability. Definitely gives me something to think about. Thanks so much for the information.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 AM

244 posts, read 472,526 times
My wife and I "settled" in Fishers for the last 7 years to start our family and it's been great. Unfortunately the lure of getting out of credit card debt and furthering my wife's career is leading us to a new job for her in Lake Forest, IL soon, so we'll be leaving a beautiful "new" house we built in Fishers a couple years ago. It will be missed greatly.

Noblesville and Carmel are other places I'd live if we ever came back.

We love Hamilton County (without kids and with kids), we love downtown Indy, and we love everything in between...Broadripple for when we were younger and childless, Castleton/Keystone for shopping & dining (though not around Christmas time)...and it's got plenty of great things to do to keep you busy (Children's Museum, Zoo, and plenty of other museums and attractions).

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Marka; 12-27-2006 at 01:26 AM..

Old 12-31-2006, 12:55 AM

4 posts, read 20,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyT View Post
I recently accepted a job position in Greencastle Indiana, but I would like to finish my degree at Purdue (West Lafayette) and I've been looking on the Internet for apartments in West Indianapolis. However the drive from West Indy to Greencastle to Lafayette seems like a lot. My first thought is Crawfordsville, which seems to be midway between Lafayette & Greencastle. Is Crawfordsville OK? I don't want to live on a farm but I also don't want to live in an area where it's too crowded. Is it minority friendly? People will not have a problem if someone doesn't look like them. Is there shopping like Walmart, Target or Malls? Movie theatres, bowling and health food stores?
I've lived in Crawfordsville for my entire life and I really wouldn't suggest moving here. There really isn't much to do and the only shopping is Wal-Mart. Lots of empty buildings. We also have a meth problem and there are a lot of bored teenagers running around causing trouble. Wabash College is here, but it's an all-male school. Lafayette is a nice place to live but that would be quite a drive for you. If you do come to Crawfordsville don't get an apartment at Cloverdale Heights, Waterford, or Campus View. CH and W are filled mostly with people on gov't support and there are always police out there because of domestic disputes or drugs. CV is where I currently live and rent is super cheap but the manager is horrible and the neighbors are mostly obnoxious kids that feel the need to party (loudly) 'til sometimes 5:00 am.

Old 03-18-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 620 times
Default Move to Indy

I am also considering moving to Indy, I am 50 and divorced and will be looking to rent a 3 br home. I currently live in Columbus, Oh and here there are cute little suburbs with a small town feel. I know about Broad Ripple but am wondering if there are other areas people would recommend?

Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 AM

3,895 posts, read 4,385,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaycn View Post
I am also considering moving to Indy, I am 50 and divorced and will be looking to rent a 3 br home. I currently live in Columbus, Oh and here there are cute little suburbs with a small town feel. I know about Broad Ripple but am wondering if there are other areas people would recommend?
I would also recommend asking this in the Indianapolis forum too

Carmel/Fishers are the higher end more affluent suburbs of Indianapolis.
the West side Suburbs Avon/Plainfield etc are more middle class.
Also do you have any other criteria? that would help in recommending a neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or