U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-12-2008, 12:54 AM

855 posts, read 1,493,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoover664 View Post
We were fortuneate to have spent a few
weeks in Southern Indiana around the town of Borden, ie; Huber Family Farm. And just fell in love with the area.

My friends here are telling me that it is too cold in Indiana, too hot in the summer and thick ice on the roads every winter.
Which makes for a very long winter. And to mention the tornado's.
The area you're talking about in southern Indiana doesn't get as cold as it does up our way by Lake Michigan and it generally doesn't get near the snowfall. We're up by South Bend and this(The northern area) is probably where your friends are thinking of when they speak of cold winters. We're about 200-250 miles north of Borden and there's probably a 10 degree difference in the average high winter temperature between here and there.

You'd probably see as much rain during the winter as snow in that part of the state. This past winter we had some good size storms roll through the state from the west where the state was almost divided in half, with the north getting heavy snowfall and the south getting rain.

This link will show you graphs of the average temperature in the state by month. They show mean temperature, which is the average between the high and the low.

Indiana State Climate Office

This link maps average snowfall throughout the state.

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/climate/f...winterSnow.bmp

There are other maps and charts there as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 9,740 times
Thank you for the information

Old 10-12-2008, 02:08 PM

7,439 posts, read 4,663,908 times
If the OP is still looking in Indiana, to avoid culture shock as mentioned, I would recommend NW Indiana. You would be in Indiana and very close to Chicago. The town of Valparaiso is perhaps the best in that area.

* look in the NW Indiana sub-forum for more info

Old 12-27-2008, 12:17 PM

7 posts, read 23,809 times
Hoover - I apologize for not checking in on city-data often enough and leaving your question unanswered for such a long time. Living in Christmas Lake Village (Santa Claus Indiana) is pretty cool actually - it's what I call a "Bedroom Community" style of living (Most residents travel atleast 30 minutes for work or department store shopping) and "Christmas Lake Village" is approximately 27 miles of Gated Living with 24-hour Gate Security Guard on duty.

There are well over 800 home sites within the Village and activities take place throughout the year that open the gate up to the public.

1. Festival of Lights - this year it was Dec 13th and 14th. Forget a speedy entrance or exit as the cars are lined up for miles and the local police crew are out directing traffic. Families come from ALL Over to see Santa popping up throughout the lights tour and elves handing out cookies. The tour is laid out with directional arrows and it's a fairly smooth process. Most full-time residents hang out up at the American Legion or are visiting family in other areas during this tour. It's fun and I love seeing the kids' expressions when they see Santa Claus walking up to their car lol - too cool.

2. Annual Village Yard Sale - as with the Festival of Lights - folks come from all over in the hopes of finding that yard sale deal of the century. Residents set up a variety of food and drink booths and just make a day out of it. Forget ordering pizza or a speedy entrance or exit --- again the cars are lined up for miles and the local police crew are out directing traffic. Residents who do not participate in the yard sale either hang out in their homes (watching movies or whatever) or they go visit friends or head up to the American Legion for a cheeseburger, coke and fries and local conversation.

3. For Residents - during the summer months - each month comes with a new "Activity" up at Holly Park. These activities range from local bands performing to a kid-friendly magic show. Everyone takes along some chairs and the local girl scouts and PTO set up food and drink tables. It's fun and the kids just LOVE the magic show lol.

On a day to day basis ... the activities are self driected. We have 3 lakes; Christmas Lake (aka The Big Lake) with approximately 216 acres of water fun, Lake Holly and Lake Noel with approximately 35 - 45 acres of water. The Big Lake accomodates boats with up to 90 HP, while the 2 smaller lakes are for paddle boating and laid back enjoyment. Residents enjoy fishing, water & jet skiing, tubing, swimming and just basking in the summer sun. We have a public beach down at the rec center with lifeguards on duty and the majority of our lakefront residents have private beaches and their own private boat docks.

Anyone, regardless of where their home is within the village can rent a boat dock on the Big Lake for only $50 per year (2008 rates).

The cons to living out here are:

1. No public transportation (you have to have transportation or you'll be very stuck)
2. Lack of Food Establishments (there are some, but we really need more choices)
3. No Movie Theatre (you have to go to Tell City, Jasper or even Evansville to catch a movie)
4. You need to enjoy the "Laid Back" style of living (there just isn't a lot to do in regards to the activities that take place in a more city/urban atmosphere).
5. Santa Claus has all the medical, dental, chiropractic types of services, but the closest Emergency Room is in Tell City which is about 20 - 25 minute drive. This could pose a problem for folks with medical problems that require immediate treatment.
6. Limited Shopping - as with the closest Emergency Room - to do some "Mall" Style shopping you will need to drive to Evansville, Tell City or Jasper (20 - 25 minutes to Tell City, 35 - 45 minutes to Jasper and 40 - 50 minutes to Evansville: All Depending on Traffic and road construction of course).

Now the pro's definitely outweigh the cons for most of the residents who call this place home and while it's not for everyone; many of us wouldn't have it any other way. The school system is incredible; I have never experienced such a wonderful group of administrators and my kids LOVE their school. There are several Elementary Schools (by town): Chrisney, David Turnham, Nancy Hanks and Lincoln Trail ... when the kids hit 7th grade they ALL go to Heritage Hills Middle School. My kids are involved in all kinds of school activities and there is just something to be said for all their friends knowing your name when you are handing out cookies on Friday's or running a game or ride booth at the annual carnival. It's just incredible and I wouldn't want my kids going to any other school!

Well "Hoover" - I hope my reply gives you much to consider if you are still contemplating a relocation to Indiana. Anyone else who reads this .... feel free to get in touch with me if you have questions too. I am a Realtor who specializes in this are but I am also a mom and a resident who LOVES calling this place home!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM

46 posts, read 114,150 times
I moved to Indiana from California a few years ago. I am originally from Indiana and it was still a culture shock. The schools are really good. It is really conservative here and people do not know how to drive on the freeway. You can not find good Mexican food anywhere. If you like tortillas you might want to smuggle some in. Over all though it is a great place to live and I really like it. There are alot of good churches. Jobs pay pretty good too. Too bad I am being forced by my hubby's job to move to Utah. Hope this helps.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM

591 posts, read 912,094 times
I was raised in Northern Indiana but moved to southern indiana many many years ago. I can tell you this if you are looking for friendly you will have trouble finding alot of that in Northern Indiana. Most places there people aren't as friendly. I still have family that live there and they are looking into moving here because the crime there is worse than southern indiana..less jobs in north..I would recommend staying more towards the south of indiana.
Santa Claus is a beautiful town to live. As well as Jasper, Newburgh and some parts of evansville are really nice.
I'm not trying to say that every person in northern indiana is rude. I have alot of family that still live there. I'm just telling you what they tell me and what I feel when I go there. I just know that I can go in a store here and people will treat you as if you knew them your whole life. I can walk into a store there and i am made to feel as if i'm a total inconvenience to them.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,588 times
I am from San Diego, California. I am planning to move to
Spencer, IN for work ...( with Boston Scientific) but I'm kinda worried about racial issue...I search the internet and found out that the area I am going to work is 99% White (I am Asian) . I want the job (good pay) but not sure if I will take it because of the safety of my family..is anyone from Spencer? and what do you think about this issue. Thanks. I will need to do more research before making the final decision whether we should move there.
P.S: I am from San Diego where the population is very diversed (White, Asian, Latino, Black ...) and never been to any state beside Ca, Nv and Tx .

Old 01-08-2009, 07:33 PM

169 posts, read 313,566 times
You might consider living in Bloomington and commuting to Spencer. Your commute would be against the flow, there are quite a few folks who live in the Spencer area and commute to Bloomington, but not so many going from Bloomington to Spencer.

I suggest you contact the Asian Culture Center at IU Asian Culture Center | Indiana University where you might get more feedback on the ambiance of the Bloomington and Spencer area. I suspect they will be more than willing to visit with you.

Last edited by Uplander; 01-08-2009 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-17-2013, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 554 times
anyone wanting to move to indiana call me i have a beautiful home for sale. we were from calif and moved to indiana 6 years ago. now we want to down size looking to sale all . OldHouses.com - Historic Real Estate Properties, Old Homes for Sale, and Old House Resources click on homes for sale dunkirk IN . Mine is the dutch colonial 115,000. or call Darcy 765-209-3100
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana