Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:16 PM

83 posts, read 418,116 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in California and am used to traffic, crowding, rude people, etc. My husband is from Iowa and has family in Orland, IN. We have kids and would like to settle in a place that is a slower paced lifestyle with genuine people and lots of things to do besides go to the mall. We would probably be looking around the Ft. Wayne area simply because it seems like it would be easier to find a job there. Are there any other areas that anyone could recommend? It seems like it would just be so different that I don't know if I could do it, but I really would like to raise my kids in a different environment. Also, what are the people like around there? It would be a nice change to be around really friendly people with good manners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 06:14 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimama View Post
I was born and raised in California and am used to traffic, crowding, rude people, etc. My husband is from Iowa and has family in Orland, IN. We have kids and would like to settle in a place that is a slower paced lifestyle with genuine people and lots of things to do besides go to the mall. We would probably be looking around the Ft. Wayne area simply because it seems like it would be easier to find a job there. Are there any other areas that anyone could recommend? It seems like it would just be so different that I don't know if I could do it, but I really would like to raise my kids in a different environment. Also, what are the people like around there? It would be a nice change to be around really friendly people with good manners.

Not sure what line of work you all are in, but don't ignore the Indianapolis area. I'll also throw Columbus, my current hometown, in as well. Cummins is hiring and the new Honda plant in Greensburg is also hiring ...

Indiana is a varied place. Up north, lots of industry and down south gorgeous scenery ... it's really up to you, but before making the leap, I'd take a vacation or two to our humble state.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:09 PM

7 posts, read 34,815 times
Calimama - Oh do I have a place to tell you about lol.

It's called "Santa Claus Indiana". I am originally from up North (Buffalo NY area) and after several years in the military - my husband and I settled outside of his home town (Jasper) with our 3 kids. We live in a Gated Community Called Christmas Lake Village and Santa Claus also has an Ungated Village that gives it's property owners FREE Holiday World SEASON Passes each and every year. PS: Our school system ROCKS! Heritage Hills (Look it up on Google)!

If you are genuinely looking for a change ---

Last edited by jemarti; 06-30-2008 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: removed mention that I'm a realtor

Old 07-07-2008, 02:01 PM

5 posts, read 22,978 times
I'm from the Bay Area in CA and you will definitely have culture shock if you move to CA. It's very small town and you are not going to have the plethora of authentic ethnic restaurants and grocery stores that you have in CA.

I'd say, take a vacation in Indiana if you really want to experience small town life. There are just too many things to list but it is a drastic change from CA.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 AM

83 posts, read 418,116 times
Thank you for your suggestions. Santa Claus sounds great! We have really thought hard about it and I think we are going to stay in California for now.

Old 07-13-2008, 09:07 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calimama View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. Santa Claus sounds great! We have really thought hard about it and I think we are going to stay in California for now.
Anytime you're ready! We'll be here.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:25 AM

470 posts, read 1,155,346 times
Default Think hard before you do it

Pros of Indiana:

1) Low cost of living
2) Relatively low crime.
3) Good schools (Higher education)

Cons:

1) Terrible employment outlook
2) Poor public transit
3) Very limited diversity and racial tolerance
4) Not much to do (most of the time you'll be traveling elsewhere for activities)
5) Lower wages for similar work.
6) Did I say terrible employment outlook?

Moving from CA to here will almost certainly be a SERIOUS cultural change for your family.
If you really decide to move here,IMHO, you should try to take an extended vacation here and see if this is place that you think you'll like.

Better that than spending tens of thousands on selling the house and moving here, only to potentially move BACK to where you are from,in my opinion.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,321 times
Default I moved from north ca, to indiana

I would have to say it is a huge cultural shock. you have pro's and con's
I have live here off and on since 1998. I would say that if you want to get similiar ,nobelsville,carmel areas is a little like back to home. But it does not have the traffic. Except on the main strip. I actual moved to avon,in. I moved to avon,indiana. You will find that there is actual some reallocators here, united airlines move 4,000 + people from san fran,oakland area out here. However this is a great place to raise kids,people know there neighbors (some i feel are more noise that just wanting to know". I have made some friends,but they still think so different than me! I had to slow down,on driving,talking etc. When i first moved the craziest thing....There either the white side of town or black there wasn't any mix. Now i find that there is some mexican,black,white moving to migrate together. This has took 10 years or so. I would say that indiana is 15 years plus behind ca. But i tell myself i can actual afford food. I can buy a house, raise my kids. Less stress where the traffic is concerned. My little " i hate indiana for a sec. thing.... The indiana people can not blend in traffic on the freeway (highway). The also will put on there turn signal to turn pause then turn.
Making everyone wait. I would say That i MISS Home, but i went back to find not what i left! So HOME is INDIANA now. It will take some time, to adjust. If you can get passed some of the above (which after 10 yrs i am still working on this. then you will be fine. They really care about education and kids. It is friendly people stop to talk to the clerk upon checkout etc. This is my two cents but i have only been in avon,plainfield,brownsburg,greenwood,fisher,carmel .nobelsville area.
GOOD LUCK on your move
relocator from caly!!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:43 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
I would also consider the university communities of Bloomington and Lafayette. Both have decent economies and the cultural amenities that come with living in a college town. At the same time, both communities are relatively small, have little crime and decent public schools. Bloomington, in particular, is considered by many to be Indiana's one true liberal bastion, if you're into that sort of thing.

Old 10-11-2008, 12:49 PM

3 posts, read 16,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemarti View Post
Calimama - Oh do I have a place to tell you about lol.

It's called "Santa Claus Indiana". I am originally from up North (Buffalo NY area) and after several years in the military - my husband and I settled outside of his home town (Jasper) with our 3 kids. We live in a Gated Community Called Christmas Lake Village and Santa Claus also has an Ungated Village that gives it's property owners FREE Holiday World SEASON Passes each and every year. PS: Our school system ROCKS! Heritage Hills (Look it up on Google)!

If you are genuinely looking for a change ---
We currently live in Lake Arrowhead, California. My husband and I are seriously planning to relocate to
Indiana. We were fortuneate to have spent a few
weeks in Southern Indiana around the town of Borden, ie; Huber Family Farm. And just fell in love with the area. Now after returning home I came across Santa Claus, Christmas Lake on the computer. As we are
accoustomed to living on the lake it seems the best direction to go. Can you tell me a little more about living in Christmas Lake Village, gated community.
We get quiet a bit of snow here in Lake Arrowhead
which really doesn't bother me. But at the same time I can always drive out of it and go to Palm Springs.
My friends here are telling me that it is too cold in Indiana, too hot in the summer and thick ice on the roads every winter.
Which makes for a very long winter. And to mention the tornado's.
My reply to them.... I cannot take another fire, we have
lost so much of our forest. To include the drought.
We are not allowed to have a lawn. And it does get well
over 100 degree's in the summer. The fires are actually worse than the earthquakes.
I like the idea of having a gated community. I understand the commette takes care of the snow plow.
And the lake front homes look beautiful.
I understand you are a military family. My son-in-law is
in the Airfoce and my daughter just got out of the Navy.

Any info will be appreciated.
Thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana