Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 08:01 PM

722 posts, read 1,109,181 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about moving out of state (currently in Montana) and have started to research other areas to live. Connecticut is one place we are looking into and Indiana is next on the list. So we are wondering about:
jobs-haven't won the lottery so will need one of those pesky things
snow-we like to ski, do you have hills?
growing season-we like to garden
and culture-we want a life!

Any info/feedback would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
ok,,,

1. jobs - what is your expertise, desires, career path, skill level, experience, etc.?
2. hills + snow... hmmmm... you do realize that this is Indiana, flatness? Wind blown flatness? Oh, yea, there are hills - in the southern half of the state, but no snow there. There is snow in the northern sections, but again, a dearth of hills to speak of minimizes the opportunities for skiing - at least in the manner that I see in UT, MT, CO, etc.
3. yeap, gardens grow good, plentiful, large crops in the state - more rockier in the southern part, but still good earth.
4. culture... hmmmm... and here there are all these other threads claiming and complaining and stating that Indiana is borrrrrrrring... Yea, it ain't San Fran or Chicago or NYC, but there are things to do, even of the high-brow variety in the larger cities of the state. Just depends on how much, what variety, etc. of culture that ya mean/want? Just a pair of yas, or are there munchkins involved in the move? Do you want to live near or within Indy, largest city in the state, or elsewhere - depending upon job? Black tie events, wine tasting, museum, etc. type culture and life style? Or enjoying life at various festivals [some kinda corny,,, or even marshmallowy! ], fairs, and the blue jean kinda culture?

If don't mind, am curious how someones from beautiful big sky Montana calculates CT as a number one opportunity, followed by Indiana as number two?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:11 PM

1. Hubby is IT and I am a working mom. Lol. Administrative whatnot. I am not too worried about finding something on my end, its his that I am concerned about.
2. Bummer! I like mountains. Are there at least hiking trails through the flatness? Cross country skiing possibilities?
3. Yay! That will make my husband happy.
4. They must be crazy ppl to say Indiana is boring because they have never lived in Eastern MT. And we do have a nine year old munchkin. I would prefer to still maintain rural living but be close enough to the action to at least see some now and again.

The order of other possible locations is more sequential than preference so it really doesn't mean anything. We just happened to start researching CT first. And as far as Montana goes.....I guess I have lost my love of it for the moment. 30 years and I think I have come as far here as I possibly can at this point in my life. I don't really know how to explain it, but we just feel it is time for a change. Maybe it's a mid-life crisis.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:16 PM

8,980 posts, read 17,288,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
2. Bummer! I like mountains. Are there at least hiking trails through the flatness? Cross country skiing possibilities?
You could try Paoli Peaks. I am sure it doesn't compare to the mountains, but it is something.

Paoli Peaks :: News & Events

Old 08-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC 38 View Post
You could try Paoli Peaks. I am sure it doesn't compare to the mountains, but it is something.

Paoli Peaks :: News & Events
Oh, we aren't black diamond skiers. Paoli Peaks looks just up my alley in fact! Thanks!

Old 08-14-2008, 05:12 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,058,452 times
Hmmm,,, given your last post, might indeed be interested in the northern half of the state. There are some nice rolling, to almost hilly areas, besides the endless flats, thanks to the glaciers. And, yes there are many opportunities for cross-country skiing. Here are a couple other options for skiing and outdoor recreations too:
Pines Ski Area
Perfect North Slopes - Ski and Snowboard (http://www.perfectnorth.com/ - broken link)
State Parks & Reservoirs: State Parks & Reservoirs - Pokagon, for just one example, has some nice areas.
DNR: Outdoor Indiana Magazine - July / August 2008
and so on... google find ya many more outdoor, etc. sites to peruse.

Seriously, being a hillbilly from the MO Ozarks, ya'd think I'd go crazier here, surrounded by corn and soybeans, but honestly there are many potentials and opportunities to have enjoyable outdoor fun - there are a few other threads w/in this forum pertaining about such. Good luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:06 AM

91 posts, read 316,324 times
decembergirl,
Columbus, Indiana might have some IT jobs available. I know a gentleman that works at Columbus Regional Hospital in the IT department and since having the freak flooding (not normal for Columbus) they are real busy getting all the IT department back up and running, just might be a possibility for him. I believe Cummins have had some IT openings recently.
There are plenty of farm markets and people that grow there own gardens in Columbus.
As far as skiing, Perfect North Slopes is a nice place to go with family. They have snow tubing as well.
Columbus has various things to do, but if you want big city life you are only minutes 45-60 minutes away from the bigger cities, Louisville and Indianapolis.
Columbus is very diverse and has great appeal....come see for yourself we would love to have you visit.
Thank you,
JulieL

Old 08-14-2008, 12:01 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Come on down to Columbus! I'd also suggest Bloomington. Paoli Peaks is accessible from both and Brown County state park is stunning, anytime of the year.

It's interesting ... Connecticut v Indiana .. hmmmm. I'd imagine it's cheaper to live here.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:33 PM

351 posts, read 649,833 times
You really couldn't have picked two different states. Connecticut and Indiana? Wow! lol.

Honestly, if it's access to skiing, high-tech jobs, and culture you're looking for, you'd prolly do better in Connecticut. That's not to say that Indiana wouldn't be a better choice for your family--I think it is. But not because of any of the reasons you listed.

I cross-country ski, hike, and enjoy theatre, museums, and live music and I find Northern Indiana perfect. It's also considerably cheaper and much more family-friendly. The South Bend area might be a good fit for you. The job situation is pretty tough in much of Michiana so make sure you have a job before you roll out. But with Notre Dame (and several other colleges and universities in the area), Michiana has plenty of culture, more snow than you even know what to do with, plenty of great parks, and the wooded amazingness of Michigan only a couple of hour away. Plus...you're only an hour or so from Chicago. You could live in many parts of Northern Indiana and commute to Chicago where there are many, many jobs.

There is a gardening season which can be long or short depending on how vicious the winter is.

Good luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Answers View Post
You really couldn't have picked two different states. Connecticut and Indiana? Wow! lol.
I was going for diversity We are actually leaning toward Indiana at this point. And I have been checking out Bloomington, domergurl. Thank you! I do believe it would be cheaper to live in IN than CT but will need to make sure we can get jobs there.

We still have to wait probably one more year so my husband can get vested in his retirement at work (not going to give that up...we gotta get something out of this place, lol)

We see snow here in MT, so not worried about that. You all have been really helpful. I appreciate all the info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana