U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM

376 posts, read 805,889 times
Default Columbus Indiana- Jobs, Rental Homes & Schools?

Good Morning All

As the bi-line next to my name says, I am a resident of Greencastle, Indiana. Over the last couple of years we have been looking at relocating. Most recently we have been looking at the Deep South and it is very appealing, but the cost of living is kinda . Especially considering that hubby will be in school for at least two years and I will be doing the bulk of supporting our household.

In the course of researching schools that have my husband's choice of degree, Ivy Tech Columbus came up. We had considered Columbus early in our relocation discussions but it had kind of fallen by the wayside. Now it appears to be coming back to the top so I'm asking questions {hubby is in Iraq with the 76th so the research is falling to me}

1. What is the job market like? I go to Columbus about once a month for military related meetings and it seems like there has been a lot of retail and hospitality related job growth. I am a massage therapist by trade, but have an extensive history in retail/hospitality fields. I would be looking to earn enough to cover basic expenses and provide insurance for myself and the girls. My husband has his mind set on working part-time while he's in school but we shall see. I would prefer him to study and focus on his coursework, as that's what he did for me while I was in school.

2. What type of homes are available for rent? Specifically a 3 bedroom. We are not opposed to a modular home as we know it is only temporary and alot of the newer ones are as good as if not better than stick built. We are currently paying $700/mo for a 3 bedroom/2 bath 1300 sq ft, and that fee includes electric, cable etc. I'm sure we won't find such a sweet deal again but I'm willing to be surprised. We want safety and decent accomodations over anything else. Our credit is less than stellar owing to a divorce and medical bills that went to collections that are now paid off, and a utility bill that was taken out in hubby's name by an ex girlfriend and then let go into collections, which we also paid off since she could not be located to be sued for the balance.

3. What are the schools like? Especially of concern to us is that our 9 year old is coping with high-functioning autism & sensory issues, and our 7 year old has been recently dx'd with ADD, which wasn't exactly a shock really. She goes about 80 mph mentally & physically most of the time, has since she learned to walk & talk. We also have a 3 year old so quality preschool & headstart options are a must as well.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:27 AM

17,561 posts, read 24,065,066 times
Parkside Elementary has a Headstart program ... it's also one of the 2 4 star schools in the Columbus system. It's also within walking distance of Ivy Tech. I see a few for rent signs around town and there are apartments in the district too.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:30 PM

thank you I'll look it up but I'm inbetween picking the kids up at school and dropping them at Karate, and then I have kickboxing myself later tonight. Would you happen to know off-hand which high school it feeds into and where that ranks? I know right now our plans are short-term living in Columbus, but then again when we graduated high school {94 & 96 respectively} we never dreamed we'd end up living right back where we grew up either. :shrug:

Old 09-04-2008, 04:59 PM

North & East are about the same, stats wise. Parkside feeds into North.

You're from Columbus?

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 PM

nope, I've lived in Greencastle since I was 19, bounced between Indy, Bainbridge, and Greencastle before that. Did brief stints in Ill and Kentucky as well after high school.

what I meant was, I don't plan to be in columbus long enough for any of the kids to reach high school, but then again, I always thought once I moved away for college I'd never be back in Greencastle. My husband thought the same. yet 14 years later here we are, in Greencastle. So it wouldn't really surprise me if we were still in Columbus in 5 years when the oldest reaches high school.

Does anyone know what co-op or organization handles autism services at the elementary/middle school level for Columbus? Continuation of services is of major importance to us, as our daughter is thriving and growing beyond our wildest dreams with her current resource team and we would hate to cause her a huge setback.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
nope, I've lived in Greencastle since I was 19, bounced between Indy, Bainbridge, and Greencastle before that. Did brief stints in Ill and Kentucky as well after high school.

what I meant was, I don't plan to be in columbus long enough for any of the kids to reach high school, but then again, I always thought once I moved away for college I'd never be back in Greencastle. My husband thought the same. yet 14 years later here we are, in Greencastle. So it wouldn't really surprise me if we were still in Columbus in 5 years when the oldest reaches high school.

Does anyone know what co-op or organization handles autism services at the elementary/middle school level for Columbus? Continuation of services is of major importance to us, as our daughter is thriving and growing beyond our wildest dreams with her current resource team and we would hate to cause her a huge setback.
I honestly don't know ... is it administered by the state??? If so, they should be able to tell you.

Old 09-06-2008, 05:13 PM

1,921 posts, read 2,634,613 times
Based upon my knowledge, continuation of services is handled at the school and district levels.

Once you know exactly where you will be living and the exact school, I would contact the school principal.

In the interim I would contact the school district to start asking questions.

It seems that when my sister relocated to IN with a special needs child (he was not yet school age-but older than 3) they had to honor his old plan for the first year until a new IEP was in place. She met with the district coordinator and teacher prior to moving.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:27 PM

I called the school district but I guess they weren't answering phones after 3:30 on Friday cause it rang a dozen times. Which was about all I could wait on since I was at my older daughter's current school waiting to talk to her teacher. No big deal though, our autism co-ordinator here said she'll me the number to the co-ops for the Bloomington/Columbus area.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkat321 View Post
I called the school district but I guess they weren't answering phones after 3:30 on Friday cause it rang a dozen times. Which was about all I could wait on since I was at my older daughter's current school waiting to talk to her teacher. No big deal though, our autism co-ordinator here said she'll me the number to the co-ops for the Bloomington/Columbus area.
Friday's clear out quick here in Columbus ... IT'S FOOTBALL SEASON.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:49 PM

yeah it's much the same here. Pre-Kids and when I only had 1 little one I used to go to every home game football & basketball. It's where to be & be seen on Fridays ya know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana