Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times

Advertisements

I live in Philadelphia, formerly Washington DC and before that a resident of North Carolina and Florida....and always at the very least in a crowded, traffic filled suburb. I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler.

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town (not Bloomington) and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it.

Additionally a low housing cost from a buyer's perspective is a must. My leftover equity from my home sale (after paying cash for my new home in IN) would fund that. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 7,871 times
Default Consider Lafayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I live in Philadelphia, formerly Washington DC and before that a resident of North Carolina and Florida....and always at the very least in a crowded, traffic filled suburb. I'm officially through with all of that and ready to live someplace quieter, more affordable and simpler.

A few caveats are that I am looking for a somewhat liberal town (not Bloomington) and a place where there seems to be interest in the downtown area from a development/redevelopment perspective. I would be conceivably opening a small organic food business and would be obviously wanting to be in a place where people care about organic/local food and the benefits of buying it.

Additionally a low housing cost from a buyer's perspective is a must. My leftover equity from my home sale (after paying cash for my new home in IN) would fund that. I have some ideas but don't want to sway the responses. Thanks.
I believe Lafayette would really fit the bill for your interest in a strong downtown development/redevelopment environment. Lafayette has one of the first historic preservation programs in the state and has a strong downtown economy. More than 50 downtown buildings have been completely restored over the past 28 years and now there is new infill construction. Like some other strong downtowns, we have begun to see rentals converted to condos - a very good sign to me. There is a real need for a decent grocery downtown and I know there are others interested in opening a food coop, but I don't know if they are ever going to get there. There are several new restaurants opening including a new vegan one opening up in the near future. Lafayette has a strong local music scene and it is finally being marketed well. I don't think Lafayette is considered to be extremely liberal, but you will certainly be able to find liberal and progressive-thinking people here. Check out the city's website at www.lafayett.in.gov (broken link) and for good information on the local arts and cultural scene, check out culturecast.org. Good luck.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:37 AM

862 posts, read 1,050,580 times
IMHO you will not find somewhat liberal place in IN except Bloomington.
The are a few(very few) in WI and MN.

Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM

27,169 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Default Lafayette

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj128 View Post
I believe Lafayette would really fit the bill for your interest in a strong downtown development/redevelopment environment. Lafayette has one of the first historic preservation programs in the state and has a strong downtown economy. More than 50 downtown buildings have been completely restored over the past 28 years and now there is new infill construction. Like some other strong downtowns, we have begun to see rentals converted to condos - a very good sign to me. There is a real need for a decent grocery downtown and I know there are others interested in opening a food coop, but I don't know if they are ever going to get there. There are several new restaurants opening including a new vegan one opening up in the near future. Lafayette has a strong local music scene and it is finally being marketed well. I don't think Lafayette is considered to be extremely liberal, but you will certainly be able to find liberal and progressive-thinking people here. Check out the city's website at www.lafayett.in.gov and for good information on the local arts and cultural scene, check out culturecast.org. Good luck.
Thanks for the input, though puzzled by the omission of West Lafayette. Is it just student wasteland?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:46 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Come to Columbus .. we love it here. You could also look at Madison.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:26 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times
I'd say West lafayette is 95 percent college students. And, 65 percent of the population there are males. So if you enjoy being around drunken frat boys, West Lafayette is definately your gig. The only liberal towns in Indiana that I am aware of are Bloomington and Gary, and possibly Valporaiso???. Lafayette and Muncie are somewhat liberal, but not really.

Old 09-23-2008, 01:34 PM

17 posts, read 43,964 times
Take a look at Auburn, Indiana.

Old 09-23-2008, 03:04 PM

163 posts, read 418,487 times
Default Liberal towns?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I'd say West lafayette is 95 percent college students. And, 65 percent of the population there are males. So if you enjoy being around drunken frat boys, West Lafayette is definately your gig. The only liberal towns in Indiana that I am aware of are Bloomington and Gary, and possibly Valporaiso???. Lafayette and Muncie are somewhat liberal, but not really.
I can't believe you would point someone to Gary!!! I'm not speaking of liberal here, but personal safety.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:24 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,720,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
valpo is on the conservative side.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:20 PM

32 posts, read 187,850 times
In Southern Indiana, two communities come to mind.

Newburgh, which is located directly on the Ohio River. While the area has grown tremendously into a suburb of Evansville, the downtown area still retains it's charm and is home to quite a few unique and quirky businesses. A store as you described seems to be a great fit in there and would be able to draw from a sizeable population base.

The other town is New Harmony. New Harmony is substantially smaller and more removed from the Evansville area. The downtown area houses several unique shops and the town would probably be the most liberal within the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana