Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 06:05 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times

Advertisements

Regarding jobs---I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can. The towns between Bloomington and Indianapolis would not really offer better job opportunities than Bloomington. They are all smaller. Martinsville and Mooresville are between Bloomington and Indianapolis. Both are pretty conservative places. The commute from Bloomington to Indianapolis is about an hour (downtown to downtown) Truthfully, it's a pretty easy 60 minutes--mostly all highway and traffic isn't horrible. If it was me I would live in Bloomington and commute to Indy. In terms of your interests, Bloomington is a big bike riding town--ever see the movie "Breaking Away" Those hills and quarries are real. Swimming and boating are also popular activities. I often tell people that there is more to do here in a single weekend than one could possibly accomplish. (ie--this weekend is the IU home football opener, 70 some youth soccer teams will be here for a weekend long tournament, plus the annual 4th Street Arts and Crafts festival is this weekend--those are just the things my family will be involved with over the weekend--there are plenty of others.) Bloomington does have jobs in the service sector--restaurants, bars, stores, etc. Also quite a few jobs in healthcare. As a graduate student many years ago here I was able to pay my living expenses from my work as a waitress. It seems to me that many of the jobs I see advertised pay around $8-10/hr. (remember that our cost of living is probably considerably less than nj) That might work for a part time student or not. Indiana University is the largest employer here. If you go to the IU website and search around you can find the job postings. (sorry, I don't know if I can post the address here) Other major employers are Baxter Pharmacuticals (spell check would be nice on that one), Cook and Cook Pharmacia, United Technology--sorry we locals still call it Otis Elevator, Sunrise Greetings (a subsidiary of Hallmark) Also Finelight Marketing. Not too far in Spencer is a Boston Scientific plant. There is also a GE plant, but they tend to layoff people rather than hire. I hope that gives you some ideas. Please feel free to email me with other questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2006, 10:30 AM

16 posts, read 122,837 times
Default The commute from Indy to Bloomington

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Your worry is valid. Move to Indianapolis.
I live in Bloomington and commute each day to Indianapolis. The commute is at least an hour to an hour-and-a-half, depending on how North you are in Indy. Now if that doesn't sound like a burden, realize that during the Winter you are going to face days where you will be driving on snowy/icy/freezing rain highway roads (although HWY 37 is four lanes).
If all goes according to the state's current plan, this road will become a freeway toll road, which may be faster, but more $$$.

I can't speak for the experience of being a single adult, but I really doubt that the tradeoff of commuting is worth whatever added benefit you get for living in Indy. I would just drive to Indy on the weekends. If I could find a job that paid well in Bloomington I would take it in an instant over moving to Indianapolis. It is a great town.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 29,902 times
Thanks Will and rrah!

Great details! Very helpful. I have commuted in NJ about 45 min one way in all weather but that was on a 3 lane interstate. The comments on the towns between Indy and Btown being conservative...does that mean "backwards" or just dull compared to Btown? Also I am interested in finding a stable/ranch that leases riding horses. (can't afford my own!) Any one have any experience with that?

Old 11-09-2006, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,644 times
Indiana has a large horse rescue network. If you can not afford a 'pony' of your own, their are many in need of help. You dont even have to know anything about horses to help out the rescue stables. They get some much needed help, you get some handson learnin. Just do a net search 'Indiana horse rescue' you'll find them.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:09 PM

12 posts, read 46,359 times
Aims...
Bloomington is a nice little town... I lived there, but it's expensive and there aren't enough jobs. I worked at McDonald's and Bloomington Sandwich on College across from the courthouse. It's a great town full of great people, but unless you plan to attend IU, don't do it. Do Indianapolis! That's my plan after I get out of debt. There is low crime in Bloomington. It's one of those all-American cities. Have you ever watched a '90s show called "Eerie, Indiana?" Well, Marshall pretty much describes Bloomington when he describes Eerie (by the way, there's no such thing as Eerie, Indiana.) If you like John Mellencamp, you'll like Bloom -- Mellencamp lives up there and he throws a free concert at IU every year. There are some things I have to warn you about Bloom -- the crazy weather, the frightfully high rate of homeless people there, brown recluse spiders and low wages. Bloomington's a nice place to visit and go to school on mommy and daddy's credit card, but it's just not what I'd expected. If you really want to experience Indiana, do Indy (Indianaplois). I can't wait to go back... Good luck to you.

Old 12-25-2006, 09:06 PM

12 posts, read 46,359 times
Cool Bloom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikao77 View Post
Hi rrah:

I have considered moving to Bloomington (will prob attend IU there PT) but since you say that finding work in the area is difficult, I would like to know if you can suggest rental areas close enough to commute to Bloomington but with better job prospects. I'm relocating from NJ and I would like to live somewhere between Indianapolis and Bloomington. I'm single, 30+, no childern and like outdoor sports. Swimming, biking, riding etc. and need to find a decent paying job as well as a great place to live. Any ideas?
Thanks!
I lived in Bloomington. Nice town. I really miss it now. I had trouble with the job situation, too. I'm currently looking for a place to live in Indiana. I thought of Indy, but it's too big -- I'd rather a medium-sized town. I really like Indiana, though. That state helped me out a lot, as far as cleaning up my act goes. I hope you like the Hoosier State -- nice place to live!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana