U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 04:26 AM

369 posts, read 254,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
I watched a National Geographic show a few years back and I think I remember them saying that the last CONFIRMED sighting of a wolf in Indiana was 1900. They did say that coyotes are becoming more prevalent as the deer population explodes. In 1969 while swimming at Miller beach in Gary, we watched 2 coyotes come after a little dog that was walking with its owner down the beach. the little dog leapt into the owners arms and after growling a few times they ran away. It was quite scary that the coyotes didnt seem to mind that there were several hundred people on the beach!
The last wolf sighting in Indiana was June 2003 in east central Indiana. The wolf was found shot dead in a farmers field. The "Official" word is that this wolf, tagged from Wisconsin, made it all the way from Wisconsin, around the Chicago metro area, all the way through Indiana, before being killed between Cincinnati and Indianapolis.

Well, on a predator hunter forum, someone posted that the "unofficial" story is that DNR trapped two wolves, a male and female, and released them in rural mid-southern Indiana to see what they would do. It is said that they separated and didn't stick around together. Well, my co-worker checked this forum the next day, and that thread was deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugrat View Post
I believe that there are several counties in Indiana that you can shoot Coyotes at any time of the year.
Indiana law is pretty clear:
IC 14-22-6-12
Taking of coyotes
Sec. 12. A person:
(1) who possesses land; or
(2) designated in writing by a person who possesses land;
may take coyotes on the land at any time.

However, there are various county/city/town ordinances, most which restrict using firearms (some include _anything_ that shoots a projectile) within so many feet of a residential structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,075 times
I was working in a wooded neighborhood this afternoon arounde 91st and Meridian and saw what I think was a wolf wander out of the woods, trot around a few yards, and then head back into the woods. Is there any chance this was actually a wolf? The reason I didn't think it was a coyote was the size of this animal... it was huge., like the size of a German Shepherd or larger. The only feature I remember was he had a long tail that seemed to be pointed down and curved up a bit at the end. I've seen coyotes before and this was at least twice as big as them. Was this a big coyote or a wolf?
Anyone know anything about this?

Old 12-04-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,964 times
I swear I saw a wolf or coyote in my dads backyard today too. It was around 11am . Buddy said coyote but it was thick like a well feed light colored German Shepard. Location of dads house is 7243 derstan rd 46250. Still tracks in snow I am sure of it. We feed the squirrels all the time so that might of got him in our yard. Backyard shares Heritage Christian fence. Coyotes in CA always showing a little thin w some sign of ribs. This looked like a wolf husky combo that was out on the hunt!!

Old 12-04-2010, 02:44 PM

48 posts, read 75,559 times
Wolf Park is on FB and if they had any escapees they would be posting about it.

We had a coyote by the side of our house not long ago. It ran off when I opened the door. They are smaller than wolves.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 PM

17,193 posts, read 20,203,102 times
Do not know about wolves, but we had mucho coyotes in NE Ohio, so I'm certain IN would have them too. My son once saw a coyote cross the road in front of his car with a fawn in it's mouth.

Old 12-04-2010, 07:07 PM

369 posts, read 254,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattman7243 View Post
I swear I saw a wolf or coyote in my dads backyard today too. It was around 11am . Buddy said coyote but it was thick like a well feed light colored German Shepard. Location of dads house is 7243 derstan rd 46250. Still tracks in snow I am sure of it. We feed the squirrels all the time so that might of got him in our yard. Backyard shares Heritage Christian fence. Coyotes in CA always showing a little thin w some sign of ribs. This looked like a wolf husky combo that was out on the hunt!!
You likely saw a coyote. There are now coyotes as big as dogs that range in the medium to large range. Wolves are much bigger than folks realize, at least the ones that are in Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:17 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,906,572 times
I grew up in Valparaiso, IN, and though I've never seen a coyote, I've definitely heard them. It's pretty chilling to hear what sounds like many of them howling. My mom said she saw one once and that it was extremely large, bigger than our husky Nanuk (granted she does only weigh about 40lbs)

Old 12-19-2010, 01:16 AM

5 posts, read 11,990 times
Well Howdy from Arizona......
Coyotes in Indiana, Yep, One of My Brothers Has a Farm North of New Castle, Just South of Hi Way 36. has many Wild Dogs and Coyotes after His Cattle. He inported a Africian Bull , which watches and Protects the Heard from the Wild dogs and Coyotes , He Raises and Sales Beef Cattle . Other brother Lives on a Farm over in Wayne County, North of 36, just off Peacock Road, Coyotes and Wild Dogs there also, The GAme Department . Destoryed a PAck of Wild Dogs in that area, that was harassing the Famlies and Wild Stock... We out Here see the coyotes Most always, Never bothered Us, Had a Good Sized Mountian Lion just across the Back Fence,,Quail feed in the BAck Yadr. Road runners come By looking for the Coyote,, Enjoy Life ,,,.. As We live next to the Desert, Nothing behind Us Mountians 12 Miles away to the East, Tucson 35 Miles South ,,
But We have Good Weather

Old 12-19-2010, 02:37 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,071,106 times
Coyotes? Sure see them down here all the time in Knox county. Wolves? Probably not. I believe the only place in the lower 48 that has wolves is the Northern Rockies.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,841 times
I live in fishers Indiana and was coming home tonight and right in front of my neighborhood were three coyotes sniffing around in the snow. It scares to know they're so close to home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana