U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 08:55 AM

332 posts, read 1,074,586 times

Advertisements

Southside Shrek's must be a grandson of one of those Midway code breaking sailors

Yes, unless she's from a countryside, 100km away from a town called Aomori, I very strongly recommend(in fact, for their own good I insist!) that they move to either Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove or downtown Chicago, if he has serious plans for her to shed that fiance status and eventually become his wife. If he's really serious about making this work in the long run, he better study every little aspect of such move very extensively and carefully. And while doing this, always look at things from an average Japanese girl's(although now he might think she's not "just average" at all) perspective. His basketball interests should be at the very bottom of his concerns, for instance.

I've worked at a personnel dept of a Japanese comapany particularly handling relocations. I've simply saw too many of these situations to know what's very likely to happen next. While they're in Japan they may be completely "nakayoshi", but that can drastically change within matter of weeks(she might preserve longer though, depending on the upbringing she received) after she sets a foot on Indiana soil. A usual modern Japanese city/suburbs girl will go nuts anywhere in Indiana(including Indianapolis) rather quickly. When all the moving dust settles down and she takes a thorough look around, she will eventually feel completely torn away from her element. Socialization, transportation, grocery, etc, etc, .... the whole lifestyle in general... there's long list of tiny inconveniences that can cause her to go into the serious state of irritation, shock, suffocation, desire to escape.

Living in Arlington Heights, at least in the beginning of her life in midwest, usually solves many problems since there are enough Japanese establishments to smooth the transition. Downtown Chicago is also a great option. On any day it's simply too interesting and captivating for an average Japanese girl to go into the "iya da mo" mode
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 09:05 AM

2,152 posts, read 7,162,198 times
Outsider
what you wrote rings with much truth. I once knew a beautiful Japanese girl who married an American soldier and they moved to Lafayette, Indiana. she became very unhappy here even after finding a job at the Japanese car plant and eventually moved back to Japan (without her American husband).

'a short term visit to an Indiana town can be nice but a long term stay can be devastating for some.'

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-21-2007 at 09:24 AM..

Old 02-21-2007, 09:28 AM

332 posts, read 1,074,586 times
Southside Shrek, that's exactly right! For example, most of them are absolutely delighted when their friends come to the States for a visit and they hop into a car together and just tour some god-forsaken towns along Ohio or Mississippi rivers for a week. They buy all sorts of souvenirs, enthusiastically inquire about local history, take tons of pictures.... they are very undemanding and happy tourists!.... But in this country their permanent home needs to be in at least a "semi-familiar" world to ensure a comfortable happy life.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:41 AM

it's always fun being a tourist but it can be a whole different ball game becoming a permanent resident. I can go anywhere and have fun taking pics, looking at different buildings, things, people etc. but I wouldn't want to live in many of those places. There is no place like home.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:55 AM

17,605 posts, read 25,209,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsider1 View Post
Southside Shrek's must be a grandson of one of those Midway code breaking sailors

Yes, unless she's from a countryside, 100km away from a town called Aomori, I very strongly recommend(in fact, for their own good I insist!) that they move to either Arlington Heights/Buffalo Grove or downtown Chicago, if he has serious plans for her to shed that fiance status and eventually become his wife. If he's really serious about making this work in the long run, he better study every little aspect of such move very extensively and carefully. And while doing this, always look at things from an average Japanese girl's(although now he might think she's not "just average" at all) perspective. His basketball interests should be at the very bottom of his concerns, for instance.

I've worked at a personnel dept of a Japanese comapany particularly handling relocations. I've simply saw too many of these situations to know what's very likely to happen next. While they're in Japan they may be completely "nakayoshi", but that can drastically change within matter of weeks(she might preserve longer though, depending on the upbringing she received) after she sets a foot on Indiana soil. A usual modern Japanese city/suburbs girl will go nuts anywhere in Indiana(including Indianapolis) rather quickly. When all the moving dust settles down and she takes a thorough look around, she will eventually feel completely torn away from her element. Socialization, transportation, grocery, etc, etc, .... the whole lifestyle in general... there's long list of tiny inconveniences that can cause her to go into the serious state of irritation, shock, suffocation, desire to escape.

Living in Arlington Heights, at least in the beginning of her life in midwest, usually solves many problems since there are enough Japanese establishments to smooth the transition. Downtown Chicago is also a great option. On any day it's simply too interesting and captivating for an average Japanese girl to go into the "iya da mo" mode

You may be right, but you also may not be. Has it crossed your mind that japandy may have a JOB in Columbus???

Geez, scare someone off and tinkle on their parade before they even get here!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:19 PM

Domergurl
he was thinking about Miss Japan coming over here and having problems adjusting to the Hoosier State. He just wanted to be sure that Mr. J took all that into account.

I don't believe that Outsider was trying to spoil anyone's relationship.

Hey I wish Mr Japandy and Miss Japan the best of luck!!!! maybe they'll send us all invites to come to the big wedding.

'SS' J Code Breaker

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-21-2007 at 03:29 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM

3 posts, read 8,164 times
Wow.... thank you for all your information and concerns.
Yes, I am aware of all that has been said, and in truth have the same concerns about my fiance. She is a big city girl, and wants the comforts and conveniences that come with living in a big city. I am moving to (or as close to) Columbus for work and am trying to find accommodations best suited to accomodate our needs. (the basketball by the way is so that I keep sane too. ha ha). At this point we are still working out the details, and the more information we have going into the move will better help us find the best solution to these challenges.

Thank you all very much!

Outsider 1... nice Japanese by the way.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:37 AM

3,843 posts, read 8,249,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japandy View Post
Wow.... thank you for all your information and concerns.
Yes, I am aware of all that has been said, and in truth have the same concerns about my fiance. She is a big city girl, and wants the comforts and conveniences that come with living in a big city. I am moving to (or as close to) Columbus for work and am trying to find accommodations best suited to accomodate our needs. (the basketball by the way is so that I keep sane too. ha ha). At this point we are still working out the details, and the more information we have going into the move will better help us find the best solution to these challenges.

Thank you all very much!

Outsider 1... nice Japanese by the way.
Here's an idea. try the north suburbs of Louisville, which lie in Indiana. Somewhere like Sellersburg or Memphis, IN would provide a rural/suburban atmosphere only 15 minutes from big city amenities in Louisville. IMO Louisville is a more hip, trendy, counterculture city than Indy. More local restuarants, shops etc. You would love Bardstown road and Frankfort Ave.
Living at Sellersburg would put you only 40 minutes to Columbus, and it would be a straight shot on rural interstate which never has traffic. if u live in indy, ull want to live either downtown or on the northside, where traffic is much worse. It would take u 45 minutes just to get thru Indy from the northside during rush hour, then anouther 30 to get to Columbus. You could even look at Scottsburg, which is halfway between Columbus and Louisville, but is unfortunately still a pretty small and "redneck" sort of town. But nice and close to Louisville.

You like bball? Well sure indiana had a movie about their bball and think they are the biggest, but no state is truly as basketball crazy as KY (well possibly NC). Before you move, I would really check out both Louisville and indy and have someone show u around both, then decide which one u want to live closer too. I can show u around Louisville, but ur description of what you want better fits louisville. Louisville has a massively strong food scene and a restaurants in every category from Vietnamese, to Japanese, to Thai, to even Korean and Senegalese, and Spanish Tapas. check out www.louisvillehotbytes.com to chat with the foodie scene in Louisville.

Old 03-06-2007, 07:19 AM

2,801 posts, read 5,880,983 times
indianapolis monthly magazine had a feature article this month about sushi restaurants in Indy. There are lots.

it is amazing the variety of ethnic rest's in indy. Every size from a Middle Eastern stand in Broad Ripple to a fancy Japanese. Every price range. Lots of ethnic grocery stores. We just visited Patel Grocery on Lafayette Road and were amazed at a the wonderful variety. We are hooked on the frozen samosas for a great meal.

Try Renee's french bakery or Bagel Fair.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:01 PM

4 posts, read 8,184 times
Are you by chance in Okinawa? I am from Plymouth, my wife and I are going to move back to South Bend, once my time is done here...2009.

Indiana is full of places that are mostly safe and the cost of living is cheap as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana